Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

That's awesome! So glad it looks like you're going to get through this OK :)

Thanks teeny, it would appear that the seahorses weathered the storm.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! Glad it got there and everything is ok! Such great luck that the plumbing will work.

I couldn't believe they got it in a day early. Since I didn't expect it until today, I didn't get home with it last night til late. I decided to wait until my brain was fresh before installing it. It went without a hitch though. Everything looks great.

that's such great news, i was holding my breath for you!

Ah thanks! I was kind of holding my breath too. I knew the only creatures at risk were the seahorses but I didn't want to risk losing them if possible.

Love the new video! I really like the smush of green mushrooms over on the right side of the seahorse tank. What is that big red sheet-like thing just to the right of the feeding station in the seahorse tank? Some kind of macro algae?

Reef tank looks great too! I didn't realize there was a clam in there way up at the top! Also, I love all the pops of yellow from your fish in that tank.

Love the new video! I really like the smush of green mushrooms over on the right side of the seahorse tank. What is that big red sheet-like thing just to the right of the feeding station in the seahorse tank? Some kind of macro algae?

Reef tank looks great too! I didn't realize there was a clam in there way up at the top! Also, I love all the pops of yellow from your fish in that tank.

Thanks Felicia. It's acceptable considering it was videograghy from my tablet. Yeah, the mushroom really took off on that tall rock in the SH tank. That flowy red sheet like macro is called rose petal. I think it may be a red ulva type macro. It was a free hitchhiker from the lfs.

My reef is nothing special but it is healthy and easy. The clam is a blue crocea which is why I have it all the way at the top. Crocea s need more light than other clams. It has doubled it's size in the last 2 and a half years and has proven to be rather durable. It should be just about as big as its gonna get. Just last week I added a birds nest, a mean stinging sps and an orange cap so hopefully I am not working myself into a dosing schedule. Like you said in Mark's thread, it is easier when we can just run our reefs in blissful ignorance!

O yeah, I forgot to mention that keeping the photo phase shortened to help keep the seahorse tank cooler eliminated the cyano. So there was a silver lining to having a leaky chiller!

This chiller runs more often than the old chiller. That is because when you set a temperature, when it reaches 2 degrees warmer it kicks on. My old chiller with the controller, you could choose how many degrees different you wanted. I chose 3. The new chiller is much quieter though.

Nanofreak79

Glad to hear everything went so well with the chiller. I love the video! Midas blennies are my favorite or tail spots. Your tank looks so clean and fresh

Glad to hear everything is falling into place. Awesome to have things like chiller plumbing matching up. I'm glad the ponies made it through. The video is awesome, also your tank looks so clean! Sound like your kickin cyano butt.

Glad to hear everything went so well with the chiller. I love the video! Midas blennies are my favorite or tail spots. Your tank looks so clean and freshGlad to hear everything is falling into place. Awesome to have things like chiller plumbing matching up. I'm glad the ponies made it through. The video is awesome, also your tank looks so clean! Sound like your kickin cyano butt.

Me too. I was so happy when I saw that I did not have to do a thing to the plumbing to hook up the new chiller. I use flex tubing and had quick disconnects in the line so it was as easy as unclamping the hoses on the old chiller and clamping the same hoses to the new. Yay!

The midas blenny is one of my favorites. He has always loved to go in the conch but now it's really cute with the conch standing upright. He peeks out that hole and it's adorable.

Since I used to maintenance tanks for a lfs, I am a bit anal about keeping my tanks pretty clean. Also the big WCs I do to protect the seahorses from bacteria helps keep the tanks nutrients under control. Thank you for such kind words about my tanks, nanofreak, I appreciate it!

We had flood warnings and watches last night and this morning. A nearby area got 4" over night. Nothing had any impact on the aquariums but we do have some water in our game room and kitchen basement. Normally that is no big deal as the carpet is an indoor/outdoor but we have 6 house guests spending the summer with us and the teens are sleeping downstairs. Also they are using the downstairs kitchen. Nothing a shop vac and some fans can't fix though.

I am only going to do a 5 gallon WC today. Since I use straight tap and we had the flooding in our area last night I figure the treatment plants may not sending the water out of the plant as good as usual. I guess times like this is when an RO/DI would be a real good idea. Actually I have a portable unit that can be hooked up temporarily to a sink. I need fresh cartridges though. I probably should do that for just such times as this.

Nanofreak79

I am only going to do a 5 gallon WC today. Since I use straight tap and we had the flooding in our area last night I figure the treatment plants may not sending the water out of the plant as good as usual. I guess times like this is when an RO/DI would be a real good idea. Actually I have a portable unit that can be hooked up temporarily to a sink. I need fresh cartridges though. I probably should do that for just such times as this.

As I was reading I was going to say a portable system is nice and small, while still giving you good quality water. Why not always use one? Just curious.

As I was reading I was going to say a portable system is nice and small, while still giving you good quality water. Why not always use one? Just curious.

I know I should use it. I got it from my son and I knew then that the cartridges needed changed. It was a matter of money...the cartridges are fairly expensive. With kids in college and me quitting my job to care for my mother in law, money was in short supply. However, the other thing was I was running a successful reef without it and had been for probably 7-8 years. At this point that 7-8 years has turned into about 15. My tanks are pretty clean and my animals and corals are long lived so I just have not seen a need. Now that we have a little more financial freedom, I probably will get the cartridges just to have it ready to go if I need it and I find our municipal water is not maintaining the quality it has always been.

Great video, love the way the tank looks! Great news about the chiller.

Thanks Mark, do you like the reef or seahorse tank...just curious? And yes, the new chiller is awesome.

Sorry to hear about the flooding. Glad its not causing any damage though. Still an inconvenience!

It's ok Felicia. Yes a bit inconvenient but still with so many people suffering so much more damage and loss from flooding, I will not complain.

Thanks Mark, do you like the reef or seahorse tank...just curious? And yes, the new chiller is awesome.

Hmmm,

I like both but I might have missed the transition from one to the other. :D

LOL, yea, I did, I must have looked away while you panned over. I'm going to have to go Seahorse because I love the shrooms.

Hmmm,

I like both but I might have missed the transition from one to the other. :D

LOL, yea, I did, I must have looked away while you panned over. I'm going to have to go Seahorse because I love the shrooms.

Yes, I like the seahorse tank better also. I like the shroom"tower" but also all the color the macros contribute to the tank. Someday when my hand-raised clown passes I think I will break down and sell the bowfront and set up a 60g cube with a bigger sump. I should be able to make a little money on the livestock, tank and stand to offset some of the costs. I could keep my one of my T5 fixtures and supplement some LED. I will be limited in what corals and fish but that is ok. I have the build in my head and hope to make it a reality someday. For now I will enjoy my LPS and clownfish!

eeep, glad the new chiller arrived! So glad we have AC in our new house. Can't imagine being able to have kept a tank at 72 in our old place :o

eeep, glad the new chiller arrived! So glad we have AC in our new house. Can't imagine being able to have kept a tank at 72 in our old place :o

Yes, a possible tragedy is avoided and I am happy.

I noticed today how huge Adam's pouch has gotten. I was thinking he had about a week and a half til he was due but then I realized that it is this Friday or Saturday that his babies are due!

Adam looks ready to pop. The opening to his pouch stays tightly closed until he is near delivery and then it looks less tight. That is how he looks this morning so I think he is right on schedule for tomorrow or saturday.

Usually it is Eve who is the chow hound. The last few days however Adam is hitched near or sitting in the food dish. He acts like he is eating for 2 hundred!

Archived