SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Well the system survived my new scaping attempt just fine but I am still tweaking things. Then last night my aquatic life T5 fixture quit working. It has been giving me trouble with poor connections and the lights going off. I fussed with it last night and again this morning to no avail. Finally tonight I bought a new Coralife T5 fixture. I hate that Coralife has 3 plugs for the whites, blues and LEDs. That's a pain. (Aquatic life had one plug with a built in timer for each). I love that it has built in fans and that the bulbs are the length of the fixture. The 30" Aquatic life fixture only used 24" bulbs. So in general I guess this is an upgrade of sorts. Still, the other fixture was only 2 and a half years old. I expected more longevity than that.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had to watch this again! I love your tank videos.

You are very kind in regards to my pics and tank videos.

Today Adam delivered more seahorse fry. Sadly they were all still born which was very troubling. Both tanks look healthy but I did see one of my RBTA's was shredded by a koralia so my theory is the nem released toxins as it was dying. I did a 15g WC and tomorrow I will test the water and see if there is anything off.

Sorry to hear that! Do the seahorses seem ok otherwise? Sounds like the BTA was probably the culprit. Some carbon should probably help.

Sorry to hear that! Do the seahorses seem ok otherwise? Sounds like the BTA was probably the culprit. Some carbon should probably help.

The seahorses, pipefish, peppermint shrimp and snails looks fine. Even Cukes, the Atlantic cucumber seems unaffected. I always run fresh carbon 24/7 so that may have helped. The corals and macros all look good too. Maybe it's nothing to worry about so I am not going to stress too much at this point. I will do another big WC today though.

Hopefully everything will recover .. seems like once a disturbance happens all hell breaks loose for a while.

That's what I get for tearing the reef tank apart. Actually all the corals and inhabitants of both tanks look very good so I am not going to assume the tanks are on a downward spiral. It may be just a fluke occurrence and WCs should only benefit the system whatever the case may be.

That's what I get for tearing the reef tank apart. Actually all the corals and inhabitants of both tanks look very good so I am not going to assume the tanks are on a downward spiral. It may be just a fluke occurrence and WCs should only benefit the system whatever the case may be.

Keeping my fingers crossed! I am happy that everyone looks good though. That is a great sign I'm thinking. Maybe Adam just got stressed over something and it impacted the fry

Keeping my fingers crossed! I am happy that everyone looks good though. That is a great sign I'm thinking. Maybe Adam just got stressed over something and it impacted the fry

I heard from Dan, the owner of Seahorse Source this morning and he says it happens on occasion and most likely Adam will go back to producing viable fry. The cause is not usually known. Anyway that helps me feel more confident that this was a one time incident. I am feeding Adam and Eve live brine shrimp gut loaded with Dan's feed and Sanolife mic-F, a probiotic for an added immune boost.

I heard from Dan, the owner of Seahorse Source this morning and he says it happens on occasion and most likely Adam will go back to producing viable fry. The cause is not usually known. Anyway that helps me feel more confident that this was a one time incident. I am feeding Adam and Eve live brine shrimp gut loaded with Dan's feed and Sanolife mic-F, a probiotic for an added immune boost.

That's great news! Plus, I wonder if just birthing the other fry, maybe these were too soon or something for Adam to build back up the energy and nutrients he needed. I really know NOTHING about this but I love following your adventures. It is so interesting.

That's great news! Plus, I wonder if just birthing the other fry, maybe these were too soon or something for Adam to build back up the energy and nutrients he needed. I really know NOTHING about this but I love following your adventures. It is so interesting.

Ha ha, be careful stella. I also knew nothing about seahorses 2 years ago and I began following felicia's pony paradise and that made me just have to have some of my own! LOL

Ha ha, be careful stella. I also knew nothing about seahorses 2 years ago and I began following felicia's pony paradise and that made me just have to have some of my own! LOL

HA! OH boy. I'm in for it now!

Yesterday I took the last RBTA out of the reef. The new scape just doesn't have a good spot for the nem. Right now it's in my QT to make sure it's healthy before I re-home it. I feel bad for Baby my clownfish but he'll adjust without a nem. I have a new vision for the reef with gorgs and macros. I spent a lot on the new light but I would like to eventually place an order with KPA.

Glad to hear that is normal! Hopefully the next batch of fry will be alive and healthy!

Funny to hear that you got seahorses because of mine! You are so much better with them than I was. I enjoyed them, but they were just too much work for my current schedule. They are not easy fish, so I have a ton of respect for you doing so well with them. I think I may have started a lionfish trend now...whoops! At least lionfish are soooo much easier :)

Glad to hear that is normal! Hopefully the next batch of fry will be alive and healthy!

Funny to hear that you got seahorses because of mine! You are so much better with them than I was. I enjoyed them, but they were just too much work for my current schedule. They are not easy fish, so I have a ton of respect for you doing so well with them. I think I may have started a lionfish trend now...whoops! At least lionfish are soooo much easier :)

Yep, your's and zia's tanks were my main inspirations. Zia helped me decide to have my seahorse tank share a sump with my reef. I don't believe that my tank has ever achieved the beauty of either of yours. And you are so right about them not being an easy fish. Again you helped me know what I was getting into in the early stages of my research and I credit you for informing me about seahorses. Ocean Rider's free online course also really helped me when I got really serious.

Ha ha, felicia! You are a trend setter!

I have been concerned about my clam ever since the new scape. The flow changed somewhat and it's mantle kept getting blown up so it didn't open up as fully. Today I believe I remedied that by moving the return and both koralias around. Actually I think I have achieved more cross current now so hopefully it is better for everything.

I met with 2 local reefer's just to talk aquariums. Both are in the midst of new builds but I acquired some new shrooms and a colt coral from them which is nice. Hopefully i can return the favor sometime.

Yep, your's and zia's tanks were my main inspirations. Zia helped me decide to have my seahorse tank share a sump with my reef. I don't believe that my tank has ever achieved the beauty of either of yours. And you are so right about them not being an easy fish. Again you helped me know what I was getting into in the early stages of my research and I credit you for informing me about seahorses. Ocean Rider's free online course also really helped me when I got really serious.

Ha ha, felicia! You are a trend setter!

Well Eddie's (Zia) tank was always way more impressive than mine! He definitely started the seahorse trend! I did a ton of research on seahorses and I know a lot about their care now, but that doesn't make them easy! I just didn't have the time for the extensive water changes and constant feedings. I am very impressed that you are so dedicated to yours. Anyone who can keep them long term deserves serious reefer cred :D I officially pronounce you seahorse master of Nano-Reef!

:lol: Who me? I'm trying to start the lionfish in a mixed reef trend now ;)

Well Eddie's (Zia) tank was always way more impressive than mine! He definitely started the seahorse trend! I did a ton of research on seahorses and I know a lot about their care now, but that doesn't make them easy! I just didn't have the time for the extensive water changes and constant feedings. I am very impressed that you are so dedicated to yours. Anyone who can keep them long term deserves serious reefer cred :D I officially pronounce you seahorse master of Nano-Reef!

:lol: Who me? I'm trying to start the lionfish in a mixed reef trend now ;)

You are very kind however I think I am a long way from totally mastering the ins and outs of seahorse keeping! I do feel like raising the fry last winter help me find my niche here on NR. I am in a more leisure time of life now that allows me to indulge in having a more demanding fish. I however, much like you had to give up and re-home some of my fish 5 years ago to focus on my mother in laws care.

Actually in the busy, hectic stage of life that you are in now it would not be practical to keep such a high maintenance fish like seahorses. I applaud you for recognising that and seeking ones that are better suited to your lifestyle. You truly have created a gorgeous and 'unique' tank which speaks volumes of your abilities as a aquarist.

I think every aquarist should take in consideration both their abilities and availability when caring for their wet pets.

Thanks for the kind words! Considering that you successfully raised fry, I still think you deserve the title of "NR Seahorse Master"! :lol: Of course there is still always more to learn, but you really have a good handle on their care! I am always super impressed with anyone who can breed and raise any species of fish. That's taking this hobby to the next level and requires a more thorough understanding of that species' care.

The lions are definitely better suited to my current schedule. They're much more hardy in general, so if I get busy and postpone a water change, it isn't too big of a deal. Also, only having to feed 3 times a week is so much easier for me right now. I definitely enjoy my tanks more when they fit well with my schedule and don't become a chore because I've taken on too much.

Today I decided that my last RBTA in my QT was healthy. It had attached to some rubble rock in the QT and looked pretty good so off to the lfs with it where it will hopefully get a new good home. Baby, my clown seems to have adjusted pretty well and it is actually nice to see him swimming around a little.

I decided that my reef has been playing 2nd fiddle to the seahorse tank for quite some time now. For that reason I put the new shrooms and colt coral, (that looks like a kenya tree to me) in the reef. Also I moved over a cabbage leather and a halimeda macro algae. I had moved some red grape caulerpa and dragon's breath macro algae a week or so ago for color. That opens up the seahorse tank a bit, (it was turning into a jungle) and makes the reef tank feel more loved. With some gorgs and something with color like RFAs or acans on the sand, I think this reef could look nice. I will take a pic and let me know what you think?

Archived