Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Congratulations to Adam! BABIES :wub:

Good luck with the RO/DI unit. I can't imagine life without mine. I bought a booster pump (BoosterBuddie) for mine which helps it run a lot faster and also does automatic shutoff and flushing, but I have to make water for my 90g FW tank, too. You should be fine with the setup you have even with 40psi water pressure.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Adam! BABIES :wub:

Good luck with the RO/DI unit. I can't imagine life without mine. I bought a booster pump (BoosterBuddie) for mine which helps it run a lot faster and also does automatic shutoff and flushing, but I have to make water for my 90g FW tank, too. You should be fine with the setup you have even with 40psi water pressure.

Thanks teeny. Adam is looking himself so that pleases me. Friday the new cartridges for the RO should be here and I am anxious to try it out. I already know that it does not leak as I tested it with the old cartridges.

Well my skimmer pump died the other day. It's not even a year old yet so maybe that is why such a big SCA skimmer was so cheap. I tried to take it apart to see if I could give the impeller a nudge with a screw driver (it works on mag drives) but alas nothing. I tried to use a similar size rio but couldn't get components to line up and fit. Finally this morning I just bit the bullet and ordered a new one. I am not liking that because after looking inside the pump I think they are junk but I need this skimmer. I will have to do thinks like feed the seahorses without turning the skimmer pump off. Hopefully not turning it off and on all the time will give it more life.

I have a SCA 301 from my system if your interested and didnt make the purchase yet. Can do it for cheap.

Thanks Justin but mine is a 302 and the pumps are not the same, plus I already ordered it.

20150806_161454_zps611b801f.jpg

A pic of Eve playing in the flow just because...

20150806_160630_zps1314454c.jpg

Do any of you guys know what the green macro dead center in the pic is?

HarryPotter

Ah, thank you. That was an excellant explanation. So basically when my new cartridges arrive I should just put them in and assume I will have better water than what I have now until I get a TDS meter.

I think you are supposed to clean each new filter separately so that the junk from one doesn't get stuck in the next and cause premature wear and tear

20150806_161223_zpsec47fea2.jpg

I am also curious what sort of sps is left and up from the hammer?

I think you are supposed to clean each new filter separately so that the junk from one doesn't get stuck in the next and cause premature wear and tear

Do you mean just remove them one at a time?
HarryPotter

20150806_161223_zpsec47fea2.jpg

I am also curious what sort of sps is left and up from the hammer?

Do you mean just remove them one at a time?

Well initially before you install it flush them one at a time

20150806_161454_zps611b801f.jpg

A pic of Eve playing in the flow just because...

20150806_160630_zps1314454c.jpg

Do any of you guys know what the green macro dead center in the pic is?

Looks like parsley (flat italian leaf to be exact) :lol:

I was looking up that macro on gulf Coast ecosystems and it might be chlorodemis sp.? The pic there looks much more lush but this is just a sprig getting started.

In other news the lfs that I worked for is going out of buisness. They were a mom and pop full service pet store that was in buisness since the 70s. I shopped there since i was a teenager. The daughter has been running it alone since her dad's death in 2007 when she was only 19 yrs old. Poor economy, aging plumbing and building maintenance have taken their toll (along with this young woman having no life except the store). I worked there 12 years as just an employee, kennel manager and tank service. I loved the family and the store and am sad. They will be sorely missed.

https://www.facebook.com/210716175639157/photos/a.475812422462863.114685.210716175639157/475812425796196/?type=1

I am hoping this is a pic of when I worked at the Seahorse pet store. I tried to get it off FB.

That pic was taken the summer of 2007. Lloyd, my boss who taught me so much about fish and aquariums was killed a few months later in a motorcycle accident. He is the one putting moose ears behind my head(which I was not aware of at the time). His daughter Heather is to his right. She did such a good job to be so young. This is my tribute to them and the store I loved for 40 years.

Baby, my hand raised clownfish and King Midas have been having issues lately. I guess since I re-homed all the RBTAs Baby has decided to host the mushroom covered conch. Unfortunately King Midas had already claimed the conch for his own. I don't know why they can't share...King Midas wants the inside and Baby wants the outside. Why can't we all just get along!

Well the cartridges for the RO/DI came and my hubby helped me change them out, which was a good think because I couldn't budge the canisters, even with the wrench. Even Dave had to use a mallet to tap/pound on the wrench. Anyway we got ur done. I am trying it out now.

That's a great pic of Eve front and center

Thanks Sk8n. I love watching her swimming head first into the flow with her tail acting like a rudder. She just looks likes she is having a blast!

A local reefer was breaking his tank down and selling everything. I bought a large colony of yellow polyps, a gorg and a yellow monticap. I also picked up a feather duster worm at a lfs near the home of that reefer. I hope I can take some pics tomorrow.

A local reefer was breaking his tank down and selling everything. I bought a large colony of yellow polyps, a gorg and a yellow monticap. I also picked up a feather duster worm at a lfs near the home of that reefer. I hope I can take some pics tomorrow.

When we visited this local reefer's house my hubby asked questions about questions about his RO/DI system. He had 2 membranes, (the waste water goes into the 2nd membrane for less waste). Dave liked that idea so much that he committed to buy the entire unit after the reefer sells his livestock. Do any of you folks on NR have 2 membranes for this reason?

When we visited this local reefer's house my hubby asked questions about questions about his RO/DI system. He had 2 membranes, (the waste water goes into the 2nd membrane for less waste). Dave liked that idea so much that he committed to buy the entire unit after the reefer sells his livestock. Do any of you folks on NR have 2 membranes for this reason?

I do. 2 membranes, in series, increase the GPH of output and does cut down on waste a little, but not that much.

Well skimmer pump is installed and we are back to maximum nutrient removal again. The new corals seem to have adjusted to the cooler water and I have high hopes when the lights come on.

Archived