Top Shelf Aquatics

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Who knew turkeys couldn't fly!

My 16 year old son heard a bad joke the other day and had to share it.

A man went to the zoo.
All they had to exhibit was a dog. It was a shih tzu.

:owned:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sk8n Reefer

Thanks sk8n. Until 5 months ago we did not have AC so I have always had a chiller. My new chiller is great in that it is compact and tidy looking and the controller is built in. It keeps the tank within 2 degrees at all times. It's a Coralife 1/6 hp and I believe it is rated for up to 90 gallons.

The down side is that although it is much quieter than my prior chiller it is about as loud as a box fan. In a TV room that might be a problem.

I will post a pic of mine beside the aquarium stand.20150723_071527_zps857005b8.jpg

Thanks for the info- Ya the sound level is a concern. Good point on the built in controller- that's a nice feature so I dont have to have an apex or something. JBJ's got some pretty good reviews especially about the noise level.........hmmmm......I'll have to keep researching

Who knew turkeys couldn't fly!

My 16 year old son heard a bad joke the other day and had to share it.

A man went to the zoo.

All they had to exhibit was a dog. It was a shih tzu.

:owned:

LOL, that's funny. Reminds me of a marquis sign at a vets in Durango on our vacation...We love your pets and that's no shih tzu!

I saw a huge turkey trying to fly across the road in front of a motorcyclist. It was having trouble getting enough lift fast enough and the biker had to duck. I was also on my bike and wondered if a turkey hits you on a bike, could it knock you off???

I did my 3rd 10 WC this week. I am doing more than normal because Adam seems different since he had the stillborn fry. 1. He hasn't courted with Eve, even when she has nestled up next to him. That seems like a big red flag. 2. He never was the hunter that Eve is but he just sits and waits for his enriched brine shrimp to happen by. I don't detect a weak snick or lack of appetite but I just can not pin point what is bothering me. 3. Lastly his pouch is more often than not sunk in looking. Maybe that is because he is not interested in courting and isn't trying to make it look impressive. I am enriching his brine shrimp with a probiotic along with the big WCs.

20150723_064240_zps719b0049.jpg

This is what was right out our kitchen window at our bird feeder this morning!

Is that a wild turkey??

Thanks for the info- Ya the sound level is a concern. Good point on the built in controller- that's a nice feature so I dont have to have an apex or something. JBJ's got some pretty good reviews especially about the noise level.........hmmmm......I'll have to keep researching

Not to hijack, but figured, yeah, I'll hijack. I've got the BC in our living room and ambient temp is roughly low to mid 80's during hot spells. No C/A in this house. The tank was rising to about 83 and it got me really concerned. I've now kept it at a steady 78 with a little aquarium fan attached to the cover of the rear chamber - evaporation seems to really be helping. Just a thought :) Got the fan on Amazon for roughly $20. And I can't hear it unless i have my ear right up next to it.

Is that a wild turkey??

Not to hijack, but figured, yeah, I'll hijack. I've got the BC in our living room and ambient temp is roughly low to mid 80's during hot spells. No C/A in this house. The tank was rising to about 83 and it got me really concerned. I've now kept it at a steady 78 with a little aquarium fan attached to the cover of the rear chamber - evaporation seems to really be helping. Just a thought :) Got the fan on Amazon for roughly $20. And I can't hear it unless i have my ear right up next to it.

When my last chiller died and I was waiting for this one to come in, I used fans as well. With 2 tanks and 65 gallons of water I needed big fans but they took the temperature down about 3 degrees. Of course evaporation went up about 100%.

Checked my parameters...ph is 8.1 and nitrates are between 5-10 ppm which is good for a seahorse tank. I read that seahorses can get sick when dissolved organics get too high which is why i checked nitrates. I did not check ammonia or nitrites because those are always zero when nothing has died. All the corals look great and all the inverts including the cucumbers seem good. Maybe I am worrying about Adam for nothing.

I hope Adam is ok! Seahorses can be so stressful. Sounds like the water quality and everything is perfect, so maybe he's just having an off couple of days. I'll send good vibes his way!

I hope Adam is ok! Seahorses can be so stressful. Sounds like the water quality and everything is perfect, so maybe he's just having an off couple of days. I'll send good vibes his way!

You are right Felicia, they are stressful at times. I don't believe it is water quality but I had used gfo until about 2 weeks ago to deal with a little cyano and I am reading that there is something in that that may not be seahorse safe. Now that it is removed I am hoping Adam begins to look and act like his old self. I am encouraged that his appetite is so good. I do not want to QT him if I don't even know what to treat him with so I am just going to leave him be for now.

I do remember reading that GFO can create problems with seahorses. Hopefully removing it helps! I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to quarantine him when you don't even know what's wrong or how to treat it. I think that would just add stress.

I do remember reading that GFO can create problems with seahorses. Hopefully removing it helps! I agree that it probably isn't a good idea to quarantine him when you don't even know what's wrong or how to treat it. I think that would just add stress.

Felicia, what do you think the chances are that Adam has a bacterial infection of the pouch? His pouch looks sunk in although I do not see any hints of redness on the outside of it. I have considered doing an antibiotic flush of his pouch but I think I should wait until a more definitive symptom warrants such a drastic measure. I guess it would be better to QT him with furan 2 before I try a pouch flush. Like you said, both of those could cause stress and perhaps it's best to just let him try to heal on his own, especially since I don't even know he is sick!

Is Adam still acting sick? Is he eating well and moving about well? I honestly don't know the best thing to do, since bacterial infections with seahorses can be so tricky. Bacterial infections seem to act quickly with seahorses, so if you wait too long to treat, it can be too late. However, its stressful to do a procedure or move the seahorse to a QT tank, so I'd be hesitant to do that if you're not sure something is wrong. Really not sure what the right answer it. Unfortunately seahorses can be delicate on the disease front.

Does Adam seem lethargic or anything? What's making you think he's sick, just the dead fry and the appearance of his pouch? I'd say to only do something drastic if he stops eating and seems lethargic. I am seriously no expert though! I lost 2 of my seahorses to fast acting bacterial infections.

Is Adam still acting sick? Is he eating well and moving about well? I honestly don't know the best thing to do, since bacterial infections with seahorses can be so tricky. Bacterial infections seem to act quickly with seahorses, so if you wait too long to treat, it can be too late. However, its stressful to do a procedure or move the seahorse to a QT tank, so I'd be hesitant to do that if you're not sure something is wrong. Really not sure what the right answer it. Unfortunately seahorses can be delicate on the disease front.

Does Adam seem lethargic or anything? What's making you think he's sick, just the dead fry and the appearance of his pouch? I'd say to only do something drastic if he stops eating and seems lethargic. I am seriously no expert though! I lost 2 of my seahorses to fast acting bacterial infections.

Maybe I am just paranoid. Adam is eating well and in general except his pouch looking sunk in seems fine. He is not real active but he never was and he is not what I would describe as lethargic. When I put the feeding tube in the tank he perks up and heads off for the feeding dish right away. I just have a gut feeling that he is not totally up to par but I can't put my finger on why I feel that way? Again maybe I am just paranoid.

Sending lots of good mojo for Adam, Dawn. Let us know how he's doing!

Thanks stella. If anything developes I will let you know.

Yeah, that's a tough call. You're used to how he behaves though, so if you think he's acting off than I'd say your not paranoid. We get to know our fish pretty well and we know when they're not quite right. Not sure what to tell you on treatment though since we don't really know what's wrong. I guess you could put him in a QT tank and do a broad spectrum antibiotic in the water for a few days just to be safe. Just depends on how much you think that would stress him out.

Yeah, that's a tough call. You're used to how he behaves though, so if you think he's acting off than I'd say your not paranoid. We get to know our fish pretty well and we know when they're not quite right. Not sure what to tell you on treatment though since we don't really know what's wrong. I guess you could put him in a QT tank and do a broad spectrum antibiotic in the water for a few days just to be safe. Just depends on how much you think that would stress him out.

I hate to separate him from Eve yet since he is eating well and his skin looks good. I am going to wait and see if anything changes, either for the better or worse. If I see any sign that his condition is deteriorating I will QT him with Furan 2.

I hope Adam's OK! By the way, the fox coral was in Gena's thread, look on page 20 :wub:

Thanks teeny. Actually I saw the fox coral in Gena's thread and it's beautiful. I would love to have one or get more trumpet coral...or both! :-)

Good news everyone! Adam cosied up next to Eve after breakfast, grabbed her by the tail and definitely appeared to be interested in more than just breakfast. I think he is getting back to his normal 'loverboy' self.

O my goodness, I was looking at Adam to assess his condition and something skipping along the rocks in the shadows caught my eye. I got a flashlight and to my utter amazement it appears I have a small goby of some sort in the tank! I have no idea where it came from? I cycled this tank from dry rock except a piece of live rock from my reef, but I have never bought a goby that looks like this. Maybe it came in on a piece of coral or with the ghost shrimp I bought as feeders? Anyway it's cool to have it in the tank.

O my goodness, I was looking at Adam to assess his condition and something skipping along the rocks in the shadows caught my eye. I got a flashlight and to my utter amazement it appears I have a small goby of some sort in the tank! I have no idea where it came from? I cycled this tank from dry rock except a piece of live rock from my reef, but I have never bought a goby that looks like this. Maybe it came in on a piece of coral or with the ghost shrimp I bought as feeders? Anyway it's cool to have it in the tank.

If it's sitting upside down it may be a Rusty Goby, common hitchikers on live rock. I had one for a while but it vanished. Cute fish, zips out to catch food and that's about it. Regardless of what it is, very cool!

Good news everyone! Adam cosied up next to Eve after breakfast, grabbed her by the tail and definitely appeared to be interested in more than just breakfast. I think he is getting back to his normal 'loverboy' self.

:naughtydance:

Try to catch that little goby in a picture! You know he's in there, so maybe you can target feed to get him to come out!

Nice! I have some pictures of Flash, my rusty goby, in my 4g thread if you want to compare. Like Mark said, you never see him until he zips out to snatch a piece of food. Then you see him for about a quarter of a second, tops.

Yay! So glad Adam seems to be back to his usual self! Maybe he just needed a break! :lol:

What a cool hitchhiker!

If it's sitting upside down it may be a Rusty Goby, common hitchikers on live rock. I had one for a while but it vanished. Cute fish, zips out to catch food and that's about it. Regardless of what it is, very cool!

I got a good look at my mystery goby yesterday when I fed the seahorses enriched live brine. It's definitely not as pretty as a rusty goby. It's color is a gray-clear ish see through color like female feeder guppies but it is clearly a goby with its round head and skips and hops on the sand. It's about an inch long. Any other ideas? It reminds me of a neon goby without the blue.

Nice! I have some pictures of Flash, my rusty goby, in my 4g thread if you want to compare. Like Mark said, you never see him until he zips out to snatch a piece of food. Then you see him for about a quarter of a second, tops.

It likes enriched brine shrimp for sure. I saw it eat 2 yesterday.

Yay! So glad Adam seems to be back to his usual self! Maybe he just needed a break! :lol:

What a cool hitchhiker!

Adam looks even better today in that his pouch looks normal. Maybe it was the phosphate remover? The bad news is I am getting more algae now. I think I will have to use my portable RO unit. I need to get cartridges first though.

Yes, it neat having a goby in the tank, even if he is mostly secretive.

Archived