ReefCleaners.org

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

A big colony of Duncans would look great IMO. Get a few heads and they will steadily multiply.

Duncans are pretty non-fussy corals too, so that could be nice! Or maybe a few RFA's in some fun splashes of color?

I just caught up on this- all the photos of colorado!! :wub: I'm dragging the new boyfriend to hike Lake Isabelle with me on Thursday. Colorado is so pretty to just go exploring in. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! I haven't been to the four corners since I was about 8 years old!

A big colony of Duncans would look great IMO. Get a few heads and they will steadily multiply.

I have a duncan, now with multiple heads up on the left side of the tank. The photo has them washed out looking but they have a nice green mouth.

Looks really nice, but I agree, a little pop of color with bright acans or an FRA would be nice! I think you'd have to get the right gorg to get that color pop though.

Duncans are pretty non-fussy corals too, so that could be nice! Or maybe a few RFA's in some fun splashes of color?

I just caught up on this- all the photos of colorado!! :wub: I'm dragging the new boyfriend to hike Lake Isabelle with me on Thursday. Colorado is so pretty to just go exploring in. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!! I haven't been to the four corners since I was about 8 years old!

I appreciate and enjoy all parts of the US but Colorado is really a very spectacular state because so much of the terrain is very dramatic. We loved it.

Yes, I have felt that splashes of color is what I have needed for a long time. Sponges might accomplish that too but I am leery of getting corals that need a lot of specialized feeding. Too many organics in the water can cause the seahorses problems.

Looks really nice, but I agree, a little pop of color with bright acans or an FRA would be nice! I think you'd have to get the right gorg to get that color pop though.

Your right, the gorgs won't give me the pop of color. What they have to offer is fuzzy texture and corals with height. I am hoping that the RFA could add the color and they will happily thrive on mysis and cyclopese which shouldn't add too many organics in the water.

your clam's mantle is extended so far!!! that's so great!

I was very worried about 'Clammy' after I re-scape and his mantle kept blowing up and causing him to half close. Now he looks happy again. I have had this clam 2 and half years and it was my first, so i am very fond of him. Actually a clam that could sit on the sandbed with a very colorful mantle is another way to add a pop of color? I seem to have pretty good luck with clams.

20150721_152647_zps653291c2.jpg

Mark, here is a closer pic of the duncans. I still could not get the tablet camera to pick up the green mouth. It is one of my favorite corals.

Wouldn't the duncans sting the ponies??

Since you have quite a few nutrients from the seahorses, I'd think any coral that likes some excess nutrients should do great. That means any anemones, clams, LPS, and softies should all do fine. Basically, just anything except SPS. I'm sure you can find some LPS, like your suggestion of acans, that add some nice color pops.

Wouldn't the duncans sting the ponies??

I have 2 tanks hooked together by 1 sump. The duncans are in my reef tank and the seahorses are in a dedicated seahorse tank.

Since you have quite a few nutrients from the seahorses, I'd think any coral that likes some excess nutrients should do great. That means any anemones, clams, LPS, and softies should all do fine. Basically, just anything except SPS. I'm sure you can find some LPS, like your suggestion of acans, that add some nice color pops.

The perfect combination would be to find corals that like to utilize seahorse poo, ha ha. I am pretty sure that clams fall in that catagory. The less target feeding so that they are happy with mostly just what is in the water column would be best. I could no doubt give some of the ponies' mysis to a couple flower anemones. Of course I am not sure I can keep my crabs from stealing food.

My tiny reef

I think it's looking great! Agree RFAs would be vibrant, maybe a plate or brain for the sand bed. Trumpets, chalice, zoas or acans to splash around the rocks.

Also, love your seahorses. I'd like to keep some one day, when I do I'll have to pick your brain!

I think it's looking great! Agree RFAs would be vibrant, maybe a plate or brain for the sand bed. Trumpets, chalice, zoas or acans to splash around the rocks.

Also, love your seahorses. I'd like to keep some one day, when I do I'll have to pick your brain!

I was looking at KPA last night and a nice big order from them of a few gorgs, a few RFA and a couple of sponges could really go a long way to giving the tank that 'splash'of color. Felicia says her some of her sponges have been pretty hardy and will feed from the water column but that it is hit or miss.

My new scape is more compact and does allow for more corals on the sandbed, although I kind of like the looks of the negative space of the sandbed right now. I don't want to fill it in too much.

Mark, here is a closer pic of the duncans. I still could not get the tablet camera to pick up the green mouth. It is one of my favorite corals.

Only other thing I can think of is a Fox coral. There was someone on here, I can't find the thread, that had a pinkish one that looked fantastic. Unless you already have one. :D

HarryPotter

20150721_152647_zps653291c2.jpg

Hey I'm glad your clam I s so extended! That's awesome :)

I was worried when my Crocea did that originally since Maximas don't close that much

Only other thing I can think of is a Fox coral. There was someone on here, I can't find the thread, that had a pinkish one that looked fantastic. Unless you already have one. :D

I do not have a fox coral, in fact I had to look it up as I am not familiar with them. Yes, a pink one would definitely be very nice. They remind me of trumpet coral. I had a trumpet coral a while back and loved it. It withered and died but I wouldn't mind giving it another go too.

Hey I'm glad your clam I s so extended! That's awesome :)

I was worried when my Crocea did that originally since Maximas don't close that much

Thanks Harry, and yes it is a relief that it is back to how it ought to be!
Sk8n Reefer

So how's your experience been with a chiller ? I am considering a spot for the upgrade that isn't as cool during the day as the tiki room and would require a chiller- it would be in the TV room so I am concerned about the sound? How often does your have to kick on? Any advice on choosing a model or brand? Your FTS are looking great!

Loving it!! I like the negative space sand bed as well :)

Thanks stella,

My reef has some very large dense rock that I am pretty sure are helping with denitrification and stability. However they take up so much room that making negative space and keeping them was a challenge.

So how's your experience been with a chiller ? I am considering a spot for the upgrade that isn't as cool during the day as the tiki room and would require a chiller- it would be in the TV room so I am concerned about the sound? How often does your have to kick on? Any advice on choosing a model or brand? Your FTS are looking great!

Thanks sk8n. Until 5 months ago we did not have AC so I have always had a chiller. My new chiller is great in that it is compact and tidy looking and the controller is built in. It keeps the tank within 2 degrees at all times. It's a Coralife 1/6 hp and I believe it is rated for up to 90 gallons.

The down side is that although it is much quieter than my prior chiller it is about as loud as a box fan. In a TV room that might be a problem.

I will post a pic of mine beside the aquarium stand.

20150723_071527_zps857005b8.jpg

You turkeys!

I think a nice light blue or pink trumpet would be a great addition, and a lot easier to find than a fox coral. :)

You turkeys!

I think a nice light blue or pink trumpet would be a great addition, and a lot easier to find than a fox coral. :)

It was 2 hens with about 10 chicks. I am so evil: after I watched them eat I opened the door and released the 'killer' shih tzu! Turkeys went every which way, some ran, some flew and when Harley returned there was nothing but a few feathers. I will add that no turkeys were hurt by the 'great white hunter'however.

I will keep trumpets in mind!

Archived