SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great video- the pipe fish stole the show for me though

Thanks Sk8n, I like the pipefish too and their personalities, although not as animated as the seahorses is still cool. I especially enjoy when the lights go out at night and the moonlight LED is on seeing the both of them swim around side by side.

How's the weather out your way, any less crazy? We leave for our roadtrip a week from tomorrow. We heard Kansas is infested with the 17 year locust, yikes! Hopefully they will be about done when we go through. I have a full coverage windshield but Dave doesn't have any windshield or even a shield on his helmet. I can't imagine having one of them hit you in the face doing 70mph!

I needed to relocate some coral as they were being infringed upon by other coral. The first is my 1 blue mushroom in the SH tank which although not spreading was very healthy looking. Unfortunately the green bumpy mushrooms were far out competing it. I moved it into the reef tank up near the clam. The other is a sps frag I got a couple of weeks ago that I was told was very mean with long stinging sweeper tentacles. I put it too near the frogspawn and it was losing so I moved it near my mushroom covered conch. Hopefully it won't kill off the mushrooms. Such is the world of opportunistic corals.

I love these tanks - and that crazy reddish macro in the seahorse tank is really cool. Absolutely beautiful, Dawn!

I love these tanks - and that crazy reddish macro in the seahorse tank is really cool. Absolutely beautiful, Dawn!

Thanks so much stella, you are very kind. I am guessing the crazy reddish macro you are referring to is the rose petal. I bought the mushroom rock it was on just to get it. It is crazy, especially in how much it grows. I just ripped a huge piece off this morning because it was flowing all over everything in the center of the tank! I think it must be in the ulva family. Just recently another fern like macro has begun to grow on that same rock.

I drive a moped to work every day, and just going 35-40 mph and getting hit by a regular size bug in the face stings. I can't imagine getting hit in the face with a huge locust at 70 mph. That would hurt and be super gross when the bug splats <_<

Nanofreak79

Sooooooo they did do the nasty in the video? Congrats! Are you ready and all set to feed the little guys?

I drive a moped to work every day, and just going 35-40 mph and getting hit by a regular size bug in the face stings. I can't imagine getting hit in the face with a huge locust at 70 mph. That would hurt and be super gross when the bug splats <_<

I've heard rain drops feel the same way, painful? I've only rode friends bikes for fun or my four wheeler .

I so agree, which is why I have a full coverage windshield!

Sooooooo they did do the nasty in the video? Congrats! Are you ready and all set to feed the little guys?

I've heard rain drops feel the same way, painful? I've only rode friends bikes for fun or my four wheeler .

They were dancing in the video but i did not see the egg exchange. His ever expanding girth is the proof though. No, I do not plan to raise this batch. It ties me down too much and getting a sitter for Adam and Eve was tough enough and would be impossible for fry that need food freshly hatched and fed 4 Xs a day, and WCs too plus sterilizing equipment. The fry are promised to a lfs owner.

And yes, you are absolutely correct that raindrops sting like the dickens. My hubby is much tougher than I am about that...I even have heated handgrip just in case it's chilly in the morning or we are riding in a cold rain.

Nanofreak79

Yeah, reminds me of my dwarf tank, before I had to move and tear it down. Constant hatching and feeding twice, three time a day usually. Almost close to my recollection of my sons as babies. Lol hand warmers on the bike! Sweet.

Yeah, reminds me of my dwarf tank, before I had to move and tear it down. Constant hatching and feeding twice, three time a day usually. Almost close to my recollection of my sons as babies. Lol hand warmers on the bike! Sweet.

LOL, Dave my husband calls me bubble girl biker because I have all the comforts!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qP6NBkHc2EM

Here's a video link for you all of Adam eating for 2 hundred!

Nanofreak79

Sweet video! I had the blue and orange striped pipefish in a mixed reef. I fed nutra ova daily, but they only lasted about a year before dying. There so cool, I like yours, even eating out the diner together with the ponies.

Sk8n Reefer

Thanks Sk8n, I like the pipefish too and their personalities, although not as animated as the seahorses is still cool. I especially enjoy when the lights go out at night and the moonlight LED is on seeing the both of them swim around side by side.

How's the weather out your way, any less crazy? We leave for our roadtrip a week from tomorrow. We heard Kansas is infested with the 17 year locust, yikes! Hopefully they will be about done when we go through. I have a full coverage windshield but Dave doesn't have any windshield or even a shield on his helmet. I can't imagine having one of them hit you in the face doing 70mph!

That sounds great watching the pipefish cruise around together . Yikes indeed- that would not be fun to smack a swarm of locust. It's still pretty stormy around here- rains almost everyday so bring your rain gear for sure. Did you ever check out that bar the Bucksnort?

Sweet video! I had the blue and orange striped pipefish in a mixed reef. I fed nutra ova daily, but they only lasted about a year before dying. There so cool, I like yours, even eating out the diner together with the ponies.

I love blue and orange striped pipefish. I think they are so pretty, actually much prettier than my banded pipes. The banded pipes are CB and came from Ocean Rider, the same place the seahorses were raised and they came already trained to eat frozen mysis. I am hoping that means that they are a hardier specie and that I can expect to enjoy them for years. It is cool that they eat from the same dish the ponies eat from. Ocean Rider had told me that they typically like to get their food from the water column so I was expecting to have to target feed them with a turkey baster. It was a pleasant, welcome surprise when they came to the dish.

That sounds great watching the pipefish cruise around together . Yikes indeed- that would not be fun to smack a swarm of locust. It's still pretty stormy around here- rains almost everyday so bring your rain gear for sure. Did you ever check out that bar the Bucksnort?

We never go anywhere without our rain gear so we will be prepared. It's much more pleasant travelling if it is not raining. The worst is waking up to a downpour!

No I have not looked up Bucksnort yet. I need to do that and see how far it is from our intended route. Dave is the navigator and does all the route planning. I know that we will be near Pike's Peak one day and then the next day near Durango where we have tickets to ride a train to Silverton. We have an open car on the train so the scenery is suppose to be awesome. Have you gone on the train ride?

Sk8n Reefer

We never go anywhere without our rain gear so we will be prepared. It's much more pleasant travelling if it is not raining. The worst is waking up to a downpour!

No I have not looked up Bucksnort yet. I need to do that and see how far it is from our intended route. Dave is the navigator and does all the route planning. I know that we will be near Pike's Peak one day and then the next day near Durango where we have tickets to ride a train to Silverton. We have an open car on the train so the scenery is suppose to be awesome. Have you gone on the train ride?

Sounds like a great plan. Sounds like you'll be going around toward the south more so you'll miss the Bucksnort- nothing to epic more of an iconic old bar- it's on an old stage coach route and the landscape is pretty beautiful. Our cabin is walking distance so I was just seeing if you were going that way. Pikes peak will be beautiful . I used to live out by Silverton in Montrose- it is stunning out there. Those mountains are the San Juan's and they have much more of a peak to them as compared to the front range mountains in Denver. You'll be close to Ouray and Telluride- also breath taking spots- jeez I am getting excited thinking about it-?. You'll probably take Red mountain pass ( million dollar hwy.) over to Silverton- be careful beautiful but it's 9 miles up 9miles down all cliffs. Take plenty of pics to post up and be safe ?

Sounds like a great plan. Sounds like you'll be going around toward the south more so you'll miss the Bucksnort- nothing to epic more of an iconic old bar- it's on an old stage coach route and the landscape is pretty beautiful. Our cabin is walking distance so I was just seeing if you were going that way. Pikes peak will be beautiful . I used to live out by Silverton in Montrose- it is stunning out there. Those mountains are the San Juan's and they have much more of a peak to them as compared to the front range mountains in Denver. You'll be close to Ouray and Telluride- also breath taking spots- jeez I am getting excited thinking about it-. You'll probably take Red mountain pass ( million dollar hwy.) over to Silverton- be careful beautiful but it's 9 miles up 9miles down all cliffs. Take plenty of pics to post up and be safe

Maybe we can catch Bucksnort on the way home after leaving 4 Corners which is our final destination.

I wanted to ride the million dollar highway but Dave wasn't sure he could do it so we compromised and are doing the train ride. He gets vertigo when he is at high places so I definitely don't want him to freeze on a switch back and drive over a cliff!

We are super stoked about this as we love seeing the country by motorcycle. You see, smell and sometimes even taste what is around you! (Hopefully we won't be sampling any locusts, LOL)

Still no baby seahorses. Adam came to the food dish but did not eat with his normal gusto. That is normal a day or two before he delivers. I sure hope it's today because tomorrow Dave and I are going on an all day canoe trip for our 34th anniversary. Not a good day to scoop out seahorse fry. Maybe I could turn the return pump off and just let the 3 small powerheads and open airline aerate the tank. I have a HOB prizm skimmer that I can plug in also for some filtration.

I can't believe it but still no baby seahorses! Adam has shimmied and shuddered a time or two so I know their arrival is imminent. I even turn the return pump off when we leave or go to bed and only leave the small Rio pumps on for circulation so as to not suck the fry over the overflow.

On the negative side of things the system has suffered a few setbacks the last few days. It started with me finding one of my pipefish dead :-( Right away I checked parameters and found that the nitrates had gone up, (between 20 and 40ppm). I am both disturbed and surprised because I change out at least 20g of water every week. I know seahorses are dirty and put a heavy bioload on a tank but my water change schedule is 20% a week, plus I add Seachem Stability with the WC. The corals look good and so do the livestock, even my cucumber which should be sensitive to high nitrates so I am not going to panic. I am doing even a bit more WCs this week and will test nitrates again Wednesday. I need the tanks in good shape for when we go on our trip.

On the positive side, I think I found a tiny piece of blue scroll, a macro algae that I thought I accidently let die because my largest piece of it fell down in the cheato and caulerpa and got smothered. I really like blue scroll and hope it makes a comeback!

Dang, bad timing for sure. Sorry about your pipe fish how's the other one doing?

The other one looks great and is eating well. Now that I watch my latest video I can see that the one pipe wasn't interested in eating which should have tipped me off that something was wrong.

Sorry to hear about the pipe fish! I wouldn't worry too much as long as everything else looks ok and you keep up with water changes. Do you think the pipefish's death is what cause the nitrate spike?

Sorry to hear about the pipe fish! I wouldn't worry too much as long as everything else looks ok and you keep up with water changes. Do you think the pipefish's death is what cause the nitrate spike?

I wondered that myself...actually I am hoping that caused the spike. Otherwise, I need to find the root cause for the higher nitrates. With doing somewhat bigger WCs this week and testing again I should have an idea if it is just a easy fix problem or if I have something significant to deal with.

Archived