inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dawn,

I have acquired a 30G Tall tank and gonna be setting it up as a seahorses tank. My question is I am not sure about the lighting. Can you give me some insight on what kind of lights I should get? I am looking at the " Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 18 to 24-Inch" but not sure if this will be enough for macro growth or gorg. The depth of the tank is I think 24 inch. If you could point me to the right direction it will be most helpful. Thanks

Very Cool! That is the same tank I have for my seahorses and it is perfect for their needs. They need that 24" of height for their courtship dance.

I wished I knew more about LED lighting but I have never had one. I am using a 4 bulb Coralife T5 fixture. Right now the seahorse tank has 2 10k daylight bulbs and 2 actinic and the macros are doing great. It does make some heat and my chiller has been running at least once a day this past week. I know LEDs are not hot which would be a plus. Maybe post on the macro algaes and seagrass topics and see if any of those folks know. I do know that the photosynthetic gorgs need pretty high lighting which is why I got 4 bulbs, (originally I was only going to get a 2 bulb fixture).

If you need any help with the ponies, let me know. I will be glad to answer any questions or concerns. I am excited about your tank!

Bowfront looks great! Most of my zoas have slowly melted away as well, but the pallys are going strong!

Thanks Mark! Yes, I have some healthy ugly brown palys. I am thinking about adding some gorgs and flower nems. That might add some interest. I have these enormous, healthy, boring colonies of LPS so some vertical and colorful corals might be just what the tank needs. Besides, I should use the sandbed for growing something besides dinos or cyano!

• 2 weeks later...

One of my 3 RBTAs crawled into the overflow box last night. I have it bagged and ready to go to the lfs. 3 big nems in a 36 gallon is about 2 too many!

One of my 3 RBTAs crawled into the overflow box last night. I have it bagged and ready to go to the lfs. 3 big nems in a 36 gallon is about 2 too many!

How nice of him to make it easy for you. :)

Well, my hubby and I are spending a long weekend with our oldest son in Charlotte, NC. This will be the first time of leaving the seahorses and I am a bit nervous!!! My sister is going to feed them and she had seahorses in the late 80s for a short time. Hopefully all goes well.

Yeah...so I have 5 BTA's right now in a 40 gallon :D One is a recent split that I need to get rid of.

I'm sure the seahorses will be just fine! Just leave really detailed instructions! Have fun on your trip :)

Yeah...so I have 5 BTA's right now in a 40 gallon :D One is a recent split that I need to get rid of.

I'm sure the seahorses will be just fine! Just leave really detailed instructions! Have fun on your trip :)

I have always loved nems but the RBTA seems to split over any little change. Alright so maybe dropping the system's temperature to 71 from 80 is not a LITTLE change, LOL. I did take a whole summer to do it. Hopefully they will be happy to remain as 2 nems.

Wow, 5 in a 40B! I am sure that is a bit much even though you have more surface area.

My sister works close to where I live so feeding the ponies once a day their frozen mysis is not too bad. I am going to order feeder shrimp today from live aquaria and then when the SH finish the frozen, she can dump 10 live shrimp for them to hunt down at their leisure. It's the babies I am worried about the most. They need all the nutrition they can get because they are still growing. If my adults miss a meal it's no big deal, they just pig out the next one. The babies look like they need fed twice a day or they get a bit sunk in.

Have a fun trip!

Thanks I am sure we will. We are helping the kids with a landscaping project in their back yard. We are not actually leaving until Good Friday but with the seahorses I have to plan ahead.

Thanks I am sure we will. We are helping the kids with a landscaping project in their back yard. We are not actually leaving until Good Friday but with the seahorses I have to plan ahead.

I just went on vacation, planning to go away is so hard with a tank, I couldn't imagine how much harder it would be with horses.

Have a nice trip! Leaving tanks is always nerve-wracking, probably even more so for you since you've got babies :wub:. At least your sister has prior fishkeeping experience.

I just went on vacation, planning to go away is so hard with a tank, I couldn't imagine how much harder it would be with horses.

Yes, folks who don't do reef tanks don't understand why a fish tank is so needy. I can imagine that trusting a dosing pump or a fish sitter to manually dose alk and CA, and Mag could certainly be daunting. My corals are pretty easy being LPS and softies but it's the 2 feedings a day and deterioration of water quality for the seahorses that are my problem. I do WCs of 10 gallons 3Xs a week on my 70g system and my nitrates are still almost 20 ppm. That's what I get for keeping 2 of my baby seahorses.

Yes, folks who don't do reef tanks don't understand why a fish tank is so needy. I can imagine that trusting a dosing pump or a fish sitter to manually dose alk and CA, and Mag could certainly be daunting. My corals are pretty easy being LPS and softies but it's the 2 feedings a day and deterioration of water quality for the seahorses that are my problem. I do WCs of 10 gallons 3Xs a week on my 70g system and my nitrates are still almost 20 ppm. That's what I get for keeping 2 of my baby seahorses.

You should look into a dual head peristaltic pump to setup daily changes. could do like a couple gallons a day. When I left I wrote a hugeeee list of things for my mom to do while I was gone, she probably had no idea what half of them were. I doubt shed be able to do a water change though. Aww the baby horses were worth it though lol.

Have a nice trip! Leaving tanks is always nerve-wracking, probably even more so for you since you've got babies :wub:. At least your sister has prior fishkeeping experience.

Yes, my sister had SW 10 years before I did and that certainly helps. Hers was a FOWLR AIO tank so I hope I can teach her how my sump system works in case the return pump would decide to quit then. Mine is a bit complicated since I have 2 tanks running on 1 sump and 1 return pump. Fortunately both tanks have either small Rios or koralias in them too for aeration and flow.

You should look into a dual head peristaltic pump to setup daily changes. could do like a couple gallons a day. When I left I wrote a hugeeee list of things for my mom to do while I was gone, she probably had no idea what half of them were. I doubt shed be able to do a water change though. Aww the baby horses were worth it though lol.

Do you have a link that I could look up a'dual head peristaltic pump'? I guess I should know what that is after having worked in a lfs but I have been out of the store for quite some time so I haven't kept up with the new stuff, LOL.

I will have a brute can with freshly made salt water in case of an emergency but I think the system can go 5 days without a WC if I do a big one the day before and day after we get home.

Do you have a link that I could look up a'dual head peristaltic pump'? I guess I should know what that is after having worked in a lfs but I have been out of the store for quite some time so I haven't kept up with the new stuff, LOL.

I will have a brute can with freshly made salt water in case of an emergency but I think the system can go 5 days without a WC if I do a big one the day before and day after we get home.

I Don't have a link, but I remember seeing it on a few forums a while back and people were talking about them. If I remember right its kind of pricy, but compared to dosing pumps / lights and all the other stuff we spend money on its reasonable. Especially because of the stability it provides and it could essentially eliminate dosing needs if you have a lower consumption. I know someone with a 800+ gallon sps reef that does 10% changes daily and doesn't dose one bit. Its something ive considered. Also the nutrient reduction and such.

When I get home later ill try to go back and find it.

natalia_la_loca

Have a fun trip :) I have a guy from the LFS come and look after my tanks when I travel. I just write out a detailed checklist and portion out the food in pill containers in the freezer, it works out really well.

Have a fun trip :) I have a guy from the LFS come and look after my tanks when I travel. I just write out a detailed checklist and portion out the food in pill containers in the freezer, it works out really well.

Thanks natalia. It will be great to be at our kids place and a 5 day trip is enough to test the waters and see how the seahorses do. If this works out I will use it as a gauge for future, longer trips and maybe get the lfs I used to work at check and do a WC every 5 days.

I like that last FTS

Thanks Sk8n. I like my reef tank but I feel like it needs more coral. Unfortunately the pony tank is sucking up all the $, ha ha!

Well, we are moving up our vacation a day. I hope my live shrimp arrive Thursday before we leave, uhhhg! I should have ordered them a week earlier. The tanks are doing well so at least it does not seem I will be leaving with any issues.

It looks like my live shrimp will be here tomorrow morning although I will need to pick them up at the PO since our mail comes late afternoon and we leave at noon.

Yesterday I saw a disturbing white patch on la Diabla's neck where I bumped her with the feeding tube. I was afraid it would get infected but with us leaving I decided that putting her in a QT was a bad idea. It appears to be healing today so I am hopeful that she will be ok.

My live shrimp did come to the PO so I picked them up before we headed on vacation. I am also pleased to report that la Diabla looked pretty good when I left. My sister texted me and said all is fine.

We are enjoying our time with our kids!

I am back home and pleased to announce that both tanks look fine. There was not even much algae on the glass which surprised me. I did a 10 gallon WC last night right after we got in and another one this morning so everything should be pretty much back to normal now.

Archived