Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't stand Eve's pathetic posturing, "O I am dying of starvation, I need food!" so I gave in and fed her.

The feeding shell works great and I have it in a sheltered low flow area so I don't need to turn off the pumps. The only problem is, is that it is low in the tank and as soon as the peppermint shrimp know it has food in it, they turn into a wolf pack and head right for it. They back off for Adam and Eve but not for the pipefish. I can bleach it from time to time also to keep it clean.

Yay! You know she is a good girl and really deserves it :)

I dunno her as well, but that looked to me like a, "Dude, food, now." face ;)

Well, see, you are falling right into her trap. Next thing ya know the pet and owner roles are reversed!

Yay! You know she is a good girl and really deserves it :)
What I know is she is a good girl at mooching more food. No wonder I need a bigger protein skimmer! LOL

Wait, are you saying you think you are the one in charge? Bwahahahaha...
Ha ha, I'm delusional, I know.
Caring for these seahorses might have pushed you over the edge. :D

I think I am nearing the precipice but if I start posting about setting up more tanks so I can keep these babies, then you will know that I went over the edge!

It's been a week since I saw eggs hanging from Adam's pouch. It definitely looks bigger and fuller so I am pretty sure he's pregnant again.

Yay for Adam! (and you) :D
YAY for Adam! yay for me. Actually 10 or 11 days from now when Adam is as big as a house we will see how enthused he is about his pregnancy. I need to try and find local aquarists who want to attempt to raise them, so although I am excited I also feel the pressure.

It's been snowing here since 6 pm last night so today has been a good day for giving the system a deep clean. Clean glass, clean skimmers, change carbon, stir sandbed and always the water change. O yeah, I do that every Monday!

O boy O boy O boy! My SCA-302 skimmer is here! Hubby and I got home from our hockey game, (our Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Jets, 5-3) and the skimmer was waiting on the porch for me, so a great night. The box is bigger than I thought, I sure hope it fits in my 10g sump?.........

This skimmer's arrival is timely. I tested my nitrates this morning and they look to be 20 ppm. Yikes!...but hopefully that will improve as soon as the skimmer gets broke in. I am still running both prizms until I see good skimmate.

Skimmers lookin good, should help alot.

It is rated for 180 gallons and my system is only 86 gallons, (minus rock and sand displacement) so it's overkill but that is what everyone told me about seahorses. I should have purchased this from the get go but I thought if I was careful with feeding I could get by. Bad move but I am correcting it now.

It is rated for 180 gallons and my system is only 86 gallons, (minus rock and sand displacement) so it's overkill but that is what everyone told me about seahorses. I should have purchased this from the get go but I thought if I was careful with feeding I could get by. Bad move but I am correcting it now.

Thats not overkill! My systems approx 30-35 gallons and i have an sca 301 which is rated at 65. Imo you sized right.

Thats not overkill! My systems approx 30-35 gallons and i have an sca 301 which is rated at 65. Imo you sized right.

Thanks and I am glad to know that you have the same skimmer only smaller. I am guessing/hoping you like it? I didn't know of anyone who had one, I picked it because of price (compared to other skimmers of similar size) and the good reviews it got.

Thanks and I am glad to know that you have the same skimmer only smaller. I am guessing/hoping you like it? I didn't know of anyone who had one, I picked it because of price (compared to other skimmers of similar size) and the good reviews it got.

I have no problems with the 301 and if i upgrade im definitely getting the 302. For the price you cant beat it.

I have no problems with the 301 and if i upgrade im definitely getting the 302. For the price you cant beat it.

How high do you tune the bubbles in the neck? Right now I have it up to where the collection cup comes off. I am noticing a fair amount of fluctuation in the height and I am afraid if I run it any higher the cup will fill up wet and I don't want that. Is the fluctuating height the norm or is it just because the skimmer is breaking?

I spent the morning rerouting the plumbing around my new skimmer. The drain from the 36g ran directly over top the skimmer cup making it nearly impossible to clean the skimmer cup. I have decided old plumbing is about as much fun to work on as old cars! LOL It's flex tubing at least but I have built a tank on both sides of the original tank with the original plumbing so nothing is easy to reach anymore. And did I mention that plumbing is my least favorite part of aquariums? Yeah...anyway after tinkering with the HOB overflow unnecessarily I finally got it done. THEN...the T5 fixture went out. Uhhg. I had to fool with the actinic bulbs for about half an hour, finally went downstairs to my supplies and got an old bulb out and now it's working, (fingers crossed).

How high do you tune the bubbles in the neck? Right now I have it up to where the collection cup comes off. I am noticing a fair amount of fluctuation in the height and I am afraid if I run it any higher the cup will fill up wet and I don't want that. Is the fluctuating height the norm or is it just because the skimmer is breaking?

It does take time to break in. And depends on the height of ur water. But the bottom of the cup is usually where i aim.

It does take time to break in. And depends on the height of ur water. But the bottom of the cup is usually where i aim.

Thanks so much, that is right where it's at.

I uploaded another pic but its not ready yet of everyone,and I mean EVERYONE,(seahorses, pipefish, peppermint shrimp and nassarius snails chowing down).

Archived