SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

My husband came home with a stand for a 10 gallon so I could add one to the system. It's a petco black metal stand and it will straddle and be over the chiller which is also black metal. It works pretty well because the chiller needs to breathe and the stand is open, which also worked for the plumbing to the chiller. The one glitch is the overflow on the bowfront is not much higher at all than the 10 gallon so I am leaning toward using a small pump from the sump after all. That has the advantage of easily taking this 10g tank off line as it will serve as a QT at times. I will try and post a pic of the tank and stand.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/vlangelbike/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141203_095924_zpsc6901672.jpg.html'>20141203_095924_zpsc6901672.jpg

This is how the 10g will fit in with the system. The plumbing will happen in the back with an overflow box and the return from the sump. It probably won't have much else in the way of filtration except live rock and macros since it is primarily a nursery for seahorse fry and a QT.

I thought folks might be wondering how everything would fit together since it is all one system connected to the sump. I am not good at the testing parameters thing so if I can limit how many tanks I need to test, all the better. I guess that is why I also never got into SPS much. LOL

Love seeing people's set-ups from a further view!
So cool! Your tanks are so wonderful. I like that it's all the same system. I hate testing too. <_<
Thanks Evan, tonight I plumbed everything so tomorrow morning I will add water, prime the overflow box, plug in the pump and try it out.

Thanks Evan, tonight I plumbed everything so tomorrow morning I will add water, prime the overflow box, plug in the pump and try it out.

You're welcome, Dawn. I'll be awaiting the pics. B)

You're welcome, Dawn. I'll be awaiting the pics. B)

I can take a pic but the pump I bought was too small and it did not have enough umph to pump the water from the sump up to the 10g. I wanted slow flow but I guess I gotta get a pump 1 size bigger tomorrow. O well, I am not in a big hurry, the baby seahorses are doing fine in the sump.

Nice decorative wire-art seahorse above the tanks! I see you Dawn. ;)

Thanks Evan, my sister and brother in law sent me the wire-art seahorse. I love it. I am stump, where do you see me. I keep looking in the glass for a reflection but I don't see it.

Thanks Evan, my sister and brother in law sent me the wire-art seahorse. I love it. I am stump, where do you see me. I keep looking in the glass for a reflection but I don't see it.

I didn't mean it in a literal sense! I meant it as in... I see your style and artistic taste.

...If that makes sense. :P

I didn't mean it in a literal sense! I meant it as in... I see your style and artistic taste.

...If that makes sense. :P

Ha ha that is so funny! Yes, now I know exactly what you mean. Yes, our home no doubt has a bit of a dated look, (as I am a product of the 70s ) but I went to the Art Institute and that's where I got my degree so I am a bit artsy too.

Ha ha that is so funny! Yes, now I know exactly what you mean. Yes, our home no doubt has a bit of a dated look, (as I am a product of the 70s ) but I went to the Art Institute and that's where I got my degree so I am a bit artsy too.

I have friends that are alumni there! Great school. Your house looks like mine, which was built in the 70's... Wood stove, fireplaces, high ceiling in the great room with wood and stone everywhere... cozy and straight out of a time capsule.

Well today did not go how I planned. I figured I would go to the lfs and get a bigger pump to get the 10g nursery/QT on line. It doesn't open until 11am so I did a WC and husbandry chores for the seahorses and just when I was ready to leave a friend stopped by. It was great but I didn't make it to the lfs until it was about to close. Didn't want to risk hooking the new tank up when we are going to bed so it will have to wait til Monday, as we have a full day tomorrow. No big deal, it WILL get done all in due time.

It's seems like it took forever to hook up the 10g nursery/QT to the main system but once I got the right return pump, (Rio 800) it worked perfectly. It is returning about 100gph which is all I wanted. Also it didn't take my sump water down more than about 3/8th of an inch but I only have a little more than 2" of evaporation space so I was happy about that. If I need to take it off line for a quarantined fish all I need to do is unplug the Rio 800 and use a sponge or HOB filter. I can throw the LR and macros in the sump if I am medicating. It will be nice to have this tank for what ever I might need it for.

Sadly I lost 2 of the tiniest seahorse fry today :-( I kind of figured it was going to happen because they weren't eating. I still have some small ones but they are eating. I am down to 15 babies now and they are in the 10g with a tank divider.

Here's a video of the baby seahorses. Although I lost the 2, the remaining 15 are eating me out of house and home and seem pretty healthy.

They look so big!

When do you plan on putting them with the other seahorses?

It will be quite awhile Evan since I need to watch each one eat to assure that they are getting enough. With so many of them I need them confined to a small space and just flood their area with enriched brine shrimp. They are all just pooping factories so the tank needs to be a bare bottom so I can syphon it clean 3Xs a day. In the end my 30g seahorse tank will be pushing it to add 1 or 2 more. When these fry outgrow the 10g and I can keep moving that divider, then I will move some of the juveniles downstairs to my 20g L. Hopefully by then they will be on frozen food and can be sold.

Archived