Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omg i want one lol, awesome video.

The nursery tank is in the sump of my main system so the quality of the video isn't the best, ( that and I took it with my tablet) but I will agree the content is pretty cool. I bet if you got a mate for the seahorse on your avatar you could have some of your own! I have to warn you that they are an insane amount of work though.

The nursery tank is in the sump of my main system so the quality of the video isn't the best, ( that and I took it with my tablet) but I will agree the content is pretty cool. I bet if you got a mate for the seahorse on your avatar you could have some of your own! I have to warn you that they are an insane amount of work though.

I wish the seahorse in my avatar was mine... Took that pic at a local aquarium. Always wanted seahorses just don't have the time to commit to them.

I wish the seahorse in my avatar was mine... Took that pic at a local aquarium. Always wanted seahorses just don't have the time to commit to them.
I held off for a year or so when I started thinking about seahorses. If you set up a tank that meets their needs, the adult seahorses are not too bad to care for except their feeding schedule. They need fed twice a day to stay in peak condition. Thats ok til you go on vacation. The babies are another story, they are a lot of work, every day.

Great video, really shows how cute those little guys are. I love the two trying to swim in different directions. :D
I like it too, it makes me laugh every time I see it.

Technology is so hard for me.:-( I am trying to learn to use photobucket to post pics...http://s36.photobucket.com/user/vlangelbike/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps26bf6433.jpg.html?filters[user]=141606855&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Hey I did it. I got a new Samsung Galaxy tablet and I took the pic of Adam with it, uploaded it to photobucket and posted it here all on the tablet. That is an accomplishment for this tech challenged 50 something lady!☺

I am not sure if something is going on with the tanks or not? The skimmers in both tanks are skimming oventire which is unusual. Also my brain is retracted. Tomorrow is WC day so I will do a bigger than normal change. It could just be from dumping some of the bb culture water in the system. Sunday mornings are hectic so I didn't strain the bb this morning.

I decided it was time to check some parameters. They were not terrible considering the bio-load on the tanks. PH 8.3, nitrates, 10ppm (which is up from 5), and phosphates .25ppm, (which for my tanks is excellant). Tomorrow's water change should be down the nitrates. I need to always strain the bb going into the nursery for the baby seahorses. That bb culture is enriched with selcon, Dan's feed, and Phytofeast which I am sure some of the corals love but only in small doses.

Did the water change on the system and everything looks as it should, in fact better.

Also I dug out my 20L. Decided it was time to have it cycled and ready for whatever use it might be needed to do. What I have in mind though is when the baby seahorses outgrow their half gallon nursery then I can fashion a larger nursery to go in the 20 gallon. Right now it has a diy sponge filter, a nano koralia, some LR and some macro algae. All the culturing and enriching the live food is near the 20L in our basement hallway as well.

Hilarious video! What are they eating?

I feed them baby brine shrimp that has been enriched. I want to try and get them to take some frozen cyclopese with their bb or some frozen bb. Things can always happen with a live culture. This Wednesday they will be 2 weeks old. Woohoo!

I am slowly improving the cleaning system for the live bb. Yesterday I moved the 'grow out' bb to a white salt bucket. I can see them against the white and I feel the round bucket with an air line in it causes them to not only stay suspended but to swirl around keeping the sides of the bucket cleaner. Each day I can syphon the bb into a clean white bucket with some fresh made salt water, (for a WC), add enrichment and they are good for the day. Keepin the food clean and bacteria free is as important as keeping the babies' nursery clean.

Today was clean the nursery. The last time I cleaned the nursery and took the fake plant out, a seahorse that I didn't see was attached to it. Poor little guy was laying on the floor (for I don't know how long) before I saw him. He was ok though when I put him back in the tank. Tonight I decided to take all the seahorses out of the nursery temporarily and do a thorough cleaning. There are 22 of them, (I was finally able to get a good count). They are 2 weeks old today.

You know we need pics, we all ways need pics :)Need them, need them now, I want some babies :(
Ok, I hear you loud and clear.LOL I will get some new pics today.

Congrats! Hadn't been around in awhile so this is news to me. :)
Thanks, they are so cool. I just adore them.
Awesome, maybe some ulva or chaeto would help with pods and such.

I actually have pods on the glass of the 30g XH seahorse tank where their parents live. I wonder if I could scrape some off for the fry? Hatching the bb is a bear every day.

Yeah, I think it would work, also the chaeto would provide places to rest.
I have cheato to spare but the nursery is only a half gallon and it is important to wipe down all the surfaces every other day and syphon the bottom every day to protect against bacterial infections. All the hobbyist I am acquainted with raise fry in bare bottom tanks with plastic hitches that can be sterilized with bleach.

Archived