Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a shaving brush macro and 2 more peppermint shrimp at the lfs when I went to get more live brine shrimp. I had a shaving brush years ago when I didn't know much about them. Now I know they need calcium and that they go through seasonal changes and die back for a while. It's a cool addition to the seahorse tank and also makes a good hitch for the ponies.

Good news on the baby front...I was able to get some of them to eat frozen brine shrimp! I put it in with the live brine shrimp and a few of them ate some of the the frozen. I did that twice with the same results. Last feeding I only put in fRosen and some of the juveniles still ate it. It's a first step in weaning them off only live food and I am encouraged.

That's awesome! It'll make life sooo much easier for you! :happydance:

Congratulations are in order rearing babies; specially seahorses. You're a super dedicated mom and it shows. :bowdown:

That's awesome! It'll make life sooo much easier for you! :happydance:

Congratulations are in order rearing babies; specially seahorses. You're a super dedicated mom and it shows. :bowdown:

Thanks Pinner Reef. I have diligently cared for these little guys but I think I experienced some beginner's luck as well. You are not kidding about the frozen food, things will be way easier once that happens!!!

Wow, just watched the last video. The little ponies aren't so little anymore!

I know, it's wonderful to have them in the 10g with a divider instead of an 'in tank' nursery. This is much easier to clean although I worry about the divider harboring bacteria. I use a tooth brush on it every day but I think I will buy a 2nd divider so I can sterilize one at all times.

While I was trying to entice my little darlings to try frozen food I casually looked over the bowfront tank at how healthy everything was and then I spied it...the dreaded aiptasia! When I serviced other people's tanks they were the bane of my existence. When they are tiny they can be wiped out with a thick slurry of super buffer which is the fate about to befall the one in my tank. However ignore it and it can replicate itself 10000Xs or so it seems. We shall not give it the opportunity.

The dreaded aiptasia seems to be gone! And the baby seahorses are eating their frozen food a little more enthusiastically today so things are moving in the right direction.

The baby seahorses are eating frozen enriched brine shrimp with frozen mysis mixed in. We are down to one trip a week for live food now which is nice. The little ponies are growing so much now however that I worry about the bioload on my aquarium system and yet I am reluctant to move them to the 20L in the basement. To compensate for the bioload on the system I am doing 4 gallon WCs almost every day. I need to test my phosphates and nitrates just to see where they are, but it's bacteria that I am really worried about, and there are no tests for that.

I have come to the conclusion that 8 week old seahorses are like toddlers! Certain things or food does not look desirable until someone elselse has it. Case in point: I put some frozen food in the nursery tank for the baby/juvenile seahorses and one large clump of brine shrimp and mysis was floating around. It was bigger than what the ponies were used to so no one ventured to try it, until one medium sized pony decided to give it a go. He couldn't snick it all down because it was a larger piece but his attempts caught the attention of the other juveniles. All of a sudden everyone wanted a piece of the action. The smallish seahorse was swimming for all he was worth trying to hoard his treasure from the rest of the herd who were just as persistently trying to stake their claim to the brine shrimp/mysis clump. It was quite entertaining!

The baby seahorses are starting to develop different characteristics. There are a few I can pick out: El Diablo has cirri, Tiger Tail is orange-ish with stripes on its tail and Lil' Unicorn has cirri but not as much as El Diablo.

All the kids, their wives and grand kiddos visiting are making it tough to get all the aquarium chores done. Only fed the baby seahorses 3 times today but they look ok. Forgot to add probiotic to the aquarium.

All the kids, their wives and grand kiddos visiting are making it tough to get all the aquarium chores done. Only fed the baby seahorses 3 times today but they look ok. Forgot to add probiotic to the aquarium.

Gotta love how the holidays mess with the routine of things! Forgot I should have done a water change a few days ago!

Gotta love how the holidays mess with the routine of things! Forgot I should have done a water change a few days ago!

I love having my grown kids and their families here but I hate neglecting some of my aquarium maintenance. Right now everyone is touring a train exhibit, (except me and I am catching up on aquarium chores!).

I love having my grown kids and their families here but I hate neglecting some of my aquarium maintenance. Right now everyone is touring a train exhibit, (except me and I am catching up on aquarium chores!).

I totally skipped a water change last week altogether!!

Archived