Pod Your Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

El Diablo and his siblings seem to all of a sudden perked up. He and his tank mates are eating great now. It's almost like they were depressed when I moved 11 of them to the 20g. Little Pippy eats pretty good but I don't think he has grown at all. It's kind of sad and painful watching him fail to thrive.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe you're right about the horsey depression. My roomate had a trio and one of them passed away. We came home and the other two were gathered around the corpse morning. Neither of the other two lasted another month. It was really sad to watch :unsure:

As such always make sure they have at least one buddy to keep them company.

How often do Adam and Eve try to get the dirty dun? Gonna have another brood to care for any time soon?

Here is something you don't see every day, a male seahorse with orange eggs hanging out of his pouch. Apparently Adam and Eve are having timing issues or something. In their dances before this she missed his pouch completely and spilled the eggs on the bottom of the tank. This time I have no way of knowing if any of the eggs made it inside the pouch or not? Time will tell.

Well that must have been an awkward moment for him :huh: Fingers crossed :)

I believe you're right about the horsey depression. My roomate had a trio and one of them passed away. We came home and the other two were gathered around the corpse morning. Neither of the other two lasted another month. It was really sad to watch :unsure: As such always make sure they have at least one buddy to keep them company. How often do Adam and Eve try to get the dirty dun? Gonna have another brood to care for any time soon?
Adam and Eve partake in the courtship dance about 3 consecutive days every month. The 1st day or 2 is mainly just flirting...sharing the same hitch and occasionally rubbing and holding tails. Day 3 is generally full blown courtship and it is very tender and charming, (not that I watch or anything, LOL) and has always resulted in eggs ending up somwhere. I think they are batting 50%, eggs in the pouch twice and twice eggs on the aquarium floor. If I am correct in my assumption that Adam is pregnant, I will try to line up aquarists who would like to attempt to rear the little seahorses as I am still busy with the brood I have.

I believe you're right about the horsey depression. My roomate had a trio and one of them passed away. We came home and the other two were gathered around the corpse morning. Neither of the other two lasted another month. It was really sad to watch :unsure: As such always make sure they have at least one buddy to keep them company. How often do Adam and Eve try to get the dirty dun? Gonna have another brood to care for any time soon?
PS That is good to know about the horsey depression. I will keep that in mind.

This is fascinating and and your dedication is awesome :). I'm cheering on Little Pippy...the name is too cute :happy:.
I know Gena, I am cheering on little Pippy, (short for Pip-Squeak) too! I make sure he gets food and I hope I am wrong about his prognosis.
Well that must have been an awkward moment for him :huh: Fingers crossed :)

Ha ha, yes maybe a little awkward, although Adam doesn't seem to have any ego or shame so maybe not. It will be cool if he's pregnant but I am not ready to raise another brood. I will offer them free to any aquarist who wants to try their hand at raising them.

Today I did a major cleaning of the seahorse tank along with the water change. I also removed a fake fan and a little rock so flow would be improved. The scape is essentially the same but slightly simplified. It does have more allusion of depth and also more vertical open space which Adam and Eve might appreciate when they go dancing!

Diggin' this pic. Making me miss my seashore's.

20141216_152527_zps4ebec529.jpg

Great tanks over there! Sure you can guess my favorite though. Doing a really good job with that softy display.

Diggin' this pic. Making me miss my seashore's.

Great tanks over there! Sure you can guess my favorite though. Doing a really good job with that softy display.

O my goodness Zia, you just made my day! A year ago when I was looking at yours and Felicia's seahorse tanks, I thought they were absolutely the most amazing aquariums I ever saw and that's when I decided I was going to have a seahorse tank. I have plans to add more photosynthetic gorgonians to the SH display. I will probably get an oversized skimmer for the sump so I can get rid of the HOB skimmers which are detracting from my display tanks.

Ok, I have decided that seahorse juveniles are the nosiest creatures on earth. Any time I do anything in their tank all 11 of them speed to the action site to check it out. Its very cute but I am terrified that when I am siphoning the bottom of their tank I am going to suck one of them up!

Ahhh i want seahorses sooo bad lol, the juvs look great, getting alot bigger.

O dear, you are getting close to where I was last year this time. If you keep reading about seahorses it will wear you down. LOL...or perhaps you have more will power than I did. They are great but there are definitely things to consider, especially when you go away.

The middle of next month is my birthday and usually that means something regarding my aquariums. My husband relies on me to share what I'd like that to be so I've been pondering it. With my nitrates having gone up since keeping seahorses I am deciding that my HOB prizm pro skimmers are no longer adequate. I have looked into a much bigger skimmer for in the sump...an SCA-302 180 gallon. It got excellant reviews and was the cheapest I could find for 180 gallons. Not only will I get a lot more skimming power but now both my DTs will be less cluttered with equipment for a cleaner look. It should be a big improvement.

The baby seahorses can now eat Hikari mysis without me chopping or shaving it. It is so wonderful to thaw and serve, just like the adults. I think they are at their cutest stage now so I am going to try and enjoy every single day with them!

Poor Eve, she is such a chow hound! She already ate once today and her 2nd feeding isn't until dinner, but she keeps checking the feeding shell to see if there is food in it. LOL

They are so cute :wub: And Mom is just pitiful :tears: You should feed her :)
I couldn't stand Eve's pathetic posturing, "O I am dying of starvation, I need food!" so I gave in and fed her.

I like the feeding shell idea. You can keep it in the tank better than a plastic cup. :)
The feeding shell works great and I have it in a sheltered low flow area so I don't need to turn off the pumps. The only problem is, is that it is low in the tank and as soon as the peppermint shrimp know it has food in it, they turn into a wolf pack and head right for it. They back off for Adam and Eve but not for the pipefish. I can bleach it from time to time also to keep it clean.

Archived