Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was giving my tanks a good critical look over and decided a change was needed. I have been feeling claustrophobic for awhile about my reef tank, too much rock and not enough negative space. I didn't want to sacrifice biological filtration though. The seahorse tank bothered me that the aquascape was all one height and all at the bottom of the tank. So my remedy was to remove a large dense rock from the reef tank that had only seahorse safe corals attached and use it to build a high rock structure in the seahorse tank. Both tank's scape have been enhanced in my opinion, but especially the pony tank. I will take a pic tomorrow.

20150305_180633_zps56816136.jpg

Here is a FTS of the seahorse tank. I was pleased with the flow going behind rock work and some flow is pretty fast and other places more moderate or gentle. It has a good mix for the ponies.

I see your cute seahorse statues!! Is that one in the window too??

Yes, after I began the seahorse tanks my friends began giving me seahorse statues. There is a large seahorse wire wall hanging, (that is very cool) behind the tank too that you can't see.

Today my hubby and I went for a 2 hour ride to the fish store that got my baby seahorses. Its a nice store and the seahorse tank is very nice with macros, gorgs and tonga rock. It also had wonderful frags at a good price. I came home with 5 frags and a macro algae. It was a fun day!

I would be going bigger if I could!!

Sorry kimber, somehow I missed this post. I don't think I want any bigger water changes so I think I will leave the system at 70 gallons. That's manageable for me.

Woo! that rescape is awesome! When the macro grows in some it"ll be epic! B)

Thanks Pinner! That's what I am hoping. Macros excite me as much as corals these days. I bought another one yesterday along with a gorg, a xenia and Kenya tree frags.

20150308_184419_zpse925bd1d.jpg

Here they are. I wish I knew what kind of green macro that is in the left foreground? It's a more stiff calcareous type, maybe codium?

natalia_la_loca

I don't think I want any bigger water changes so I think I will leave the system at 70 gallons. That's manageable for me.

I'm exactly the same way :) I know there's a trade off in stability but I completely prefer smaller tanks. I wouldn't get a large tank even if it were free.

I'm exactly the same way :) I know there's a trade off in stability but I completely prefer smaller tanks. I wouldn't get a large tank even if it were free.

Ha ha, for me my age is beginning to limit me. Not that I can't carry more water but at 55 years old, should I? LOL I have to start thinking about making this body last for the long haul!

Ha ha, for me my age is beginning to limit me. Not that I can't carry more water but at 55 years old, should I? LOL I have to start thinking about making this body last for the long haul!

I'm 51 and I just have to adapt. :D I have 5 home depot buckets and my water changes are me carrying 2 gallons at a time to the laundry tub, then wheeling the Brute can of new saltwater up to the tank and using my 1 gallon drink pitcher to add new water.

If I have to I can start draining the tank with my Python water changer, so no bucket lifting.

I'm 51 and I just have to adapt. :D I have 5 home depot buckets and my water changes are me carrying 2 gallons at a time to the laundry tub, then wheeling the Brute can of new saltwater up to the tank and using my 1 gallon drink pitcher to add new water.

If I have to I can start draining the tank with my Python water changer, so no bucket lifting.

Wow Mark, I didn't know you were so old! Now I understand why your arm was aching after the deep cleaning of your 29g. LOL Just kidding, 50 is the new 40 don't ya know? And you are absolutely right, adaptation is the name of the game now!

Sweet! New macro! Pretty sure it's a Halimedia

I think you are right! Thanks. The price was right too, it only cost $5!!!

Whew, caught up. I love the look of the tanks all lined up. I wish my desk was setup in a way that I could do that. Might've been enough to get me over my irrational fear of sumps :lol:

Whew, caught up. I love the look of the tanks all lined up. I wish my desk was setup in a way that I could do that. Might've been enough to get me over my irrational fear of sumps :lol:

It's hard for me to do WCs and check parameters on multiple systems in a consistent way. It's easier to do a bigger WC and only watch 1 parameter for me so tying into the existing sump made sense. Also I absolutely needed the chiller for the seahorses and it was plenty big for all 3 tanks.

I remember being afraid of sumps too when I began servicing tanks for a lfs. What if it overflowed after I got done cleaning it? Once I totally understood how it worked and then serviced so many tanks with sumps, I decided that is the way my tank was going to be set up. Unfortunately my prior 90g already was running with fish and rock, (which is how I got to using HOB overflow boxes). Even that isn't too scarey if the flow matches the box's capacity.

I really like the new scape! Both tanks look beautiful :wub:

Thanks teeny. That is so kind of you to say. I just read thru your tank of the month journal and enjoyed it so much. I had not realized that your 4g was your first reef tank. Wow, what amazing success in such a short time! It is a well deserved honor!!!

20150310_155730_zpsbf747966.jpg

I had not posted a FTS of the reef with the new toadstool frag and xenia. This is also the 1st shot after the re-scape but this tank didn't change a lot even with the removal of a large rock.

Thanks teeny. That is so kind of you to say. I just read thru your tank of the month journal and enjoyed it so much. I had not realized that your 4g was your first reef tank. Wow, what amazing success in such a short time! It is a well deserved honor!!!

Thanks! :blush: I spent a LOT of time reading everything I could find here on NR before I even started, but I still have a lot to learn. Right now my two goals are to keep my new green banded gobies in the tank, and to get all the zoas to thrive. I still get random meltdowns for no apparent reason :(

Thanks! :blush: I spent a LOT of time reading everything I could find here on NR before I even started, but I still have a lot to learn. Right now my two goals are to keep my new green banded gobies in the tank, and to get all the zoas to thrive. I still get random meltdowns for no apparent reason :(

when you figure out how to prevent melting zoas...you let me know! I hate that. One day you got new polyps and looking awesome and the next the whole colony is gone! :(

when you figure out how to prevent melting zoas...you let me know! I hate that. One day you got new polyps and looking awesome and the next the whole colony is gone! :(

I love zoas but I never conquered the melting problem. That's why you don't see any in my tank. I still get tempted though when I see some pretty ones! I admire your 'stick to it ness' teeny for not giving up on them.

Thanks - the really weird thing is that zoas are doing great in my 10g tank. I only have trouble in the 4g tank. Zoas have never done well in the 4g tank from the very first frag I got. I wonder if I have some kind of zoa pest, but I've never been able to spot anything.

I've always wondered how close parameters are in two tanks in the same house. I mean really, really, down to trace elements and even "air pollution" from room to room.

Hi Dawn,

I have acquired a 30G Tall tank and gonna be setting it up as a seahorses tank. My question is I am not sure about the lighting. Can you give me some insight on what kind of lights I should get? I am looking at the " Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 18 to 24-Inch" but not sure if this will be enough for macro growth or gorg. The depth of the tank is I think 24 inch. If you could point me to the right direction it will be most helpful. Thanks

Archived