ReefCleaners.org

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

So I've been holding out on posting on my latest addition - he was the sole survivor of 4 that came into my lfs. They didn't last a week in the store so I wasn't sure he would but I went for it anyways. My pod population has been steadily growing to the point that I was considering some type of control. I've had em for a month now and he's doing good - probably setting myself up for heartbreak but I went for it. They said it was eating mysis but when I watched them feed at the lfs store it showed no interest in it.

So ive also added 1000's of pods- they sell live pods at my lfs store. With my heavy feeding schedule it has recently looked at pellets but I can't say he has actually ate any. He is constantly hunting during the day and is still full in size and not getting skinny . Maybe once the pod population dwindles he will show interest in other foods but I will continue to add pods and see how things go. Tank mates are all getting along no problem. Here's some shots of my Ruby Red- such a beautiful little fish!

e45f2ddb9763ecb5d73e9d9cb7fe78c5_zpsd208

cb8ac6d985cdea28246deddfb93fd5e5_zpsac46

lol two days ago I was at my LFS and I saw some of these little beauties. I thought, "Oh man, one of these would be awesome in my tank! I don't think I've seen anyone on Nano-Reef that has one, though...Maybe they are hard to keep?"

Then I sign on today to see that one of my "reefing mentors" has added a Ruby Red to their tank! That's awesome, man! I'm excited to hear more about how this little guy does - please keep us posted!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our poci is so not happy after we had to move it. Guess needs to get uses to his new position. How quick did yours started to grow after adding to the tank?

It was happy right off the bat- this coral really took off but it also has prime real estate in the middle- geeting strong light and random flow. It's been in the same spot the whole time so I am sure that has helped also.

lol two days ago I was at my LFS and I saw some of these little beauties. I thought, "Oh man, one of these would be awesome in my tank! I don't think I've seen anyone on Nano-Reef that has one, though...Maybe they are hard to keep?"

Then I sign on today to see that one of my "reefing mentors" has added a Ruby Red to their tank! That's awesome, man! I'm excited to hear more about how this little guy does - please keep us posted!

Thanks man! I will for sure!

Well , I think we turned a corner last night- a piece of flake land near him and he ate it. He then went over to where some pellets hit the sand and he ate them too???. Awesome!

e9ca3163cb0528c323e811f7ee0849d7_zps90ef

Love this encrusting Monti- it has a cool growth pattern. It's been hidden behind a few larger corals so I moved it out front . We'll see how it does

fa76b0f2f7263495a27c383d67d50806_zps4d12

And few macros- nice purple tips

dee53312b8d21bd123fad874d07fbb55_zpsb231

153ee14b3fd443c293decd725ab56a96_zpse1f2

Love this encrusting Monti- it has a cool growth pattern. It's been hidden behind a few larger corals so I moved it out front . We'll see how it does

fa76b0f2f7263495a27c383d67d50806_zps4d12

And few macros- nice purple tips

dee53312b8d21bd123fad874d07fbb55_zpsb231

153ee14b3fd443c293decd725ab56a96_zpse1f2

Looks like a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better looking spongodes.

Looks like a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better looking spongodes.

Ya I've been trying to ID it- the ends are a give away for a spongode- but isn't that a type of encrusting Monti?

Ya I've been trying to ID it- the ends are a give away for a spongode- but isn't that's a type of encrusting Monti?

Spongodes grows exactly like that piece. It will encrust alot but it also throws a bunch of shorter branches like that.

Spongodes grows exactly like that piece. It will encrust alot but it also throws a bunch of shorter branches like that.

Cool, I dig it- it's never been to visible till now so I can enjoy it more

Sweet. Honestly I'm not that picky when it comes to tank display but I love the little...dragonet species I'm assuming. I think the key is to slowly train him/her onto prepared food, the pods won't last forever with one of those in the tank. In my very limited experience I can give that much.

Sweet. Honestly I'm not that picky when it comes to tank display but I love the little...dragonet species I'm assuming. I think the key is to slowly train him/her onto prepared food, the pods won't last forever with one of those in the tank. In my very limited experience I can give that much.

Thanks for checking things out! Yes he has started to eat some pellets and even a flake or two but it's tough- he's still not really trained. I try to float pellets by him in the same area everyday so he tends to come back around and check. Pod population is still doing well- I'll keep adding them- my lfs sells live ones too. Definately more maintenance then my clowns and Blenny but that keeps it interesting

Thanks for checking things out! Yes he has started to eat some pellets and even a flake or two but it's tough- he's still not really trained. I try to float pellets by him in the same area everyday so he tends to come back around and check. Pod population is still doing well- I'll keep adding them- my lfs sells live ones too. Definately more maintenance then my clowns and Blenny but that keeps it interesting

My pleasure, I praise the best :D. Hopefully he adjusts to prepared food....maybe frozen copepods or brine shrimp might help in the transition? Worst case scenario, I'd say set up a little fish bowl to culture some calanoid copepods (like Acartia or those Tigger-pods or something similar), 'cause I'm all about culturing live stuff. (Everything's live in nature, right?) Feed them yeast or microalgae and then innoculate into the aquarium. I'm not sure about the budget but it should be cheaper in the long run than buying from LFS, if your little ruby really likes them. I think the corals and other fish might too.

My pleasure, I praise the best :D. Hopefully he adjusts to prepared food....maybe frozen copepods or brine shrimp might help in the transition? Worst case scenario, I'd say set up a little fish bowl to culture some calanoid copepods (like Acartia or those Tigger-pods or something similar), 'cause I'm all about culturing live stuff. (Everything's live in nature, right?) Feed them yeast or microalgae and then innoculate into the aquarium. I'm not sure about the budget but it should be cheaper in the long run than buying from LFS, if your little ruby really likes them. I think the corals and other fish might too.

I like your ideas- I did think about culturing some pods haven't researched that yet. Ideally , he would convert to frozen foods- every night I also feed mysis, enriched brine and a little rod's - gotta be something in there to interest him.

I like your ideas- I did think about culturing some pods haven't researched that yet. Ideally , he would convert to frozen foods- every night I also feed mysis, enriched brine and a little rod's - gotta be something in there to interest him.

Thank you. I guess I'm more an idealist than anything else - a thinker rather than a doer (which is why I don't have a tank - ha). But my theory is that coral reefs are all living, except for the minerals in the rock, so everything we add in our tanks should be living or as close to that as possible - livestock, food, sand, everything.

I was thinking for the food acclimation process, to feed some pods, and then slowly add in amounts of mysis and brine and frozen food, and then slowly subtract the amount of pods, until he is weaned onto frozen food. But I've never raised a dragonet, I've heard it's hard, so whatever works for you. Just throwing ideas out there if you're interested in trying.

Idaho grape is starting to cup now

c68f1f5e2bde46492f45cb51b7989ea7_zps0c9d

Green cap took a good stinging from the Mille- damn branch grew over night I swear. It should be all filled back in soon enough

4cb761aef7060991c6467eff1ccf2f0d_zps8010

Here's a random sps garden shot

48c8f2552efa45f2648bd777dbc88f47_zpsfe70

Thank you. I guess I'm more an idealist than anything else - a thinker rather than a doer (which is why I don't have a tank - ha). But my theory is that coral reefs are all living, except for the minerals in the rock, so everything we add in our tanks should be living or as close to that as possible - livestock, food, sand, everything.

I was thinking for the food acclimation process, to feed some pods, and then slowly add in amounts of mysis and brine and frozen food, and then slowly subtract the amount of pods, until he is weaned onto frozen food. But I've never raised a dragonet, I've heard it's hard, so whatever works for you. Just throwing ideas out there if you're interested in trying.

Always open to ideas and trying new things? thanks again. That's the beauty of this hobby- you never stop learning

I love that Idaho Grape :wub: And the other guys are starting to give "The Finger" some competition :D

Thanks- Ya for sure - the finger is starting to get some new digits- I'd be funny if it made a peace or hang loose sign? its definitely focus growth away from the finger

Is that SPS garden yours? If so, wow. Just wow. Get a Trapezia crab for them :D

Ya- my whole tank is mostly sps- a few mushrooms and zoos- on the ends- we just had an Acro crab "show up" last week . We had no idea it was in there

Ya- my whole tank is mostly sps- a few mushrooms and zoos- on the ends- we just had an Acro crab "show up" last week . We had no idea it was in there

Add more, haha. I am a big advocate for "reef diversity", I mean beyond just corals and fish. Whether that's adding symbiotic shrimp or crabs or adding clams, sponges, feather dusters, I don't care. But I just think a coral reef is so much more than just corals and rock. Plus I think the little crabs are so cute

Missed a few updates, nice to hear the new fish is doing well!

Did that crab have dots on its legs? If so it is probably an acro crab. I have one now that came with a maricultured acro, neat little buggers.

That monti looks similar to ORA Super Natural, which they say is a capricornis but I've also seen discussed as a confusa.

c5be5a13bed529d768e3ec16cb75ea97_zps599a

I want that cabinet! Did you get a good deal on it?

Your tank is looking incredible as always. And the new fish addition is absolutely perfect! I bet the red really pops in there. Awesome that he's eating pellets/flakes :happydance:.

This shot is amazing! Love every single piece there. Awesome job man.

Thanks a lot , appreciate it?

Missed a few updates, nice to hear the new fish is doing well!

Did that crab have dots on its legs? If so it is probably an acro crab. I have one now that came with a maricultured acro, neat little buggers.

That monti looks similar to ORA Super Natural, which they say is a capricornis but I've also seen discussed as a confusa.

I think it did have spots- couldn't really tell ........now it is gone again- I fragged that Poci so that might of startled him a little and got him out in the open. I haven't seen the ORA super natural - I'll have to look that up but the tips do look like a spongode. Hopefully it will be happy where it's at.

I love your updates bro! I won't be surprised if that green cap heals overnight for you the way things grow :D

Thanks man! Ya the cap has came back strong from a couple of those burns. blew it on a 150 acrylic tank with LED's - 400.00- looked like a great tank. I was the second one to email and the 1st guy took it. Didn't list what the lights were but it was complete with stand , hood , sump and lights- pretty smokin deal?

I want that cabinet! Did you get a good deal on it?Your tank is looking incredible as always. And the new fish addition is absolutely perfect! I bet the red really pops in there. Awesome that he's eating pellets/flakes :happydance:.

Thanks Gena, ya my wife found that at an estate sale for $150- I wasn't to excited but once we got it home and filled it up I dig it! The ruby red is still doing well- I wouldn't say he is trained yet but if the food lands in that "perfect" spot he will eat it- he hasn't figured out the feeding spots and schedule 100% yet. Some days he waits in the corner- some days not. Maybe it depends on how many pods he hunted down that day.

Archived