ReefCleaners.org

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading through your routine..... have you ever tested your phosphates, I am curious to what they are running at :)

Yes- early on I tested regulary -few times a week- and kept them to about .04-5. I have a few times when it bounced up to .09 then I would increase the GFO. I haven't ck'd in a month or so just been judging the algae on the glass growth and the tank and running my GFO longer. I'll ck later today and give ya and updated reading- I have a Hanna cker. I am not a super fan of it though- in consistant reading ?. Off to the lfs today ! Who knows what that brings?

Yes- early on I tested regulary -few times a week- and kept them to about .04-5. I have a few times when it bounced up to .09 then I would increase the GFO. I haven't ck'd in a month or so just been judging the algae on the glass growth and the tank and running my GFO longer. I'll ck later today and give ya and updated reading- I have a Hanna cker. I am not a super fan of it though- in consistant reading . Off to the lfs today ! Who knows what that brings

Man WTF this is like the 2nd or 3rd time I'm hearing they are inconsistant. I have been pretty good on mine its always 13-14ppb (I have the phospohorous tester.... basically around .04ppm) even when I check it and do a triple test its never been more then 1ppb difference.

Man WTF this is like the 2nd or 3rd time I'm hearing they are inconsistant. I have been pretty good on mine its always 13-14ppb (I have the phospohorous tester.... basically around .04ppm) even when I check it and do a triple test its never been more then 1ppb difference.

Haha- ya I would run 3 test and it would vary from .02-.06 easy- I tend to just take the average. Could always be user error on my part but it's fairly straight forward. I also heard the test packets can cause variance as they get older. I'll do some test here shortly

Haha- ya I would run 3 test and it would vary from .02-.06 easy- I tend to just take the average. Could always be user error on my part but it's fairly straight forward. I also heard the test packets can cause variance as they get older. I'll do some test here shortly

Maybe thats why mine have been fairly consistant, the packets are less then a yr old. :wacko:

Hey thanks a lot! It's really nothing to much but done the same way week after week. I change about 5-7 gallons a week and have gone to doing one gal. a day a few days a week and about 3-4 gallons on Sunday - depending on how long I feel like letting the Birdsnest be exposed ? I really like the small one gal. changes only takes 5min. I tend to change my floss twice a week and stir the sand twice a week. I am not running a skimmer but I do have an IM reactor with rox carbon and GFO. Been running the GFO longer lately to keep up with phosphates. I use a doser for ca.430, alk.8 and mg.1350 . I feed everyday and fairly heavy - my wife handles the day feeding of the fish with pellets and flake and in the evening just before my white lights dim off I'll mix up roti, phyto and oyster feast about 2 drops of each 1/2 spoon (supplied) of reef chili and 1/2 of reef roids and finally a little mysis and prime reef. Mix that all up and broadcast feed the tank. I am lucky to have what I feel is a fantastic lfs. The owner is great and the selection is excellent. The tanks are always in great condition and well maintained - it's the only place I purchase livestock from except for 5 or 6 frags that I got from MACNA and Reef Stock shows. I use the water from this store and the same salt(kent) that the livestock grew up in so I can't help but think that is a factor that helps- but the other frags are also doing well so who really knows?. But my live stock is always in really good condition when I get them. That's kinda the run down- hope it helps - stability is the key - the longer you can maintain it the better?

What stuff are you using to dose cal/alk/mag? 2-part? Premixed stuff?

I'm just fid my 1st dose today and still trying to get a hang of everything, hoping I can get growth like yours :D

What stuff are you using to dose cal/alk/mag? 2-part? Premixed stuff?

I'm just fid my 1st dose today and still trying to get a hang of everything, hoping I can get growth like yours :D

Thanks man, I buy premixed calcium chloride, sodium carbonate and magnesium chloride in gal. containers and keep 1/2 gal. each for my doser. Stay on it ! test, test ,test ?

Maybe thats why mine have been fairly consistant, the packets are less then a yr old. :wacko:

Ok- ran 4 test 0.00, 0.05 and 0.02, 0.00 I figure test two was faulty somehow . I am going with I have minimal po4 and I can probably take GFO offline for a week and just check on algae growth - my test reagents expire 11/16. I think time really affects this test-as with all - I ran both 2 and 3 again really quick and they both pumped up to 0.07 and 0.04. I've had GFO online for the last month - not very much about 3 teaspoons - so it's handling things well.

Ok- ran 4 test 0.00, 0.05 and 0.02, 0.00 I figure test two was faulty somehow . I am going with I have minimal po4 and I can probably take GFO offline for a week and just check on algae growth - my test reagents expire 11/16. I think time really affects this test-as with all - I ran both 2 and 3 again really quick and they both pumped up to 0.07 and 0.04. I've had GFO online for the last month - not very much about 3 teaspoons - so it's handling things well.

I've heard the time the actual mixed test sits can screw with it too... like testing the same batch over and over. True or not I have no idea... I've also heard not getting the same amount of powder out of the packet will cause a difference as well. I am thinking about trying to actually add a little water to the packets and then put it in the tube from there to test, seems like it could be more efficient way of getting the most powder out....

Either way other then the 0.00 I wouldn't be to worried about any of those numbers, although with your feeding I doubt 0.00 would really matter/ cause them to starve at all :lol:

I've heard the time the actual mixed test sits can screw with it too... like testing the same batch over and over. True or not I have no idea... I've also heard not getting the same amount of powder out of the packet will cause a difference as well. I am thinking about trying to actually add a little water to the packets and then put it in the tube from there to test, seems like it could be more efficient way of getting the most powder out....

Either way other then the 0.00 I wouldn't be to worried about any of those numbers, although with your feeding I doubt 0.00 would really matter/ cause them to starve at all :lol:

? ya thats a great point- the reagent is tough to get out anyways- not having an even amount has to make a variance . I think I've tried a new way to get it out every time ?

ya thats a great point- the reagent is tough to get out anyways- not having an even amount has to make a variance . I think I've tried a new way to get it out every time

Yeah I hate having to try to get that crap out. I feel I do a decent job, but like anything else theres always gotta be a better way right? lol

Mille took the win over the Poci- this Mille packs a punch. Had to frag a little piece to keep the peace ✌️

Mille sending a stringer off . He had this section webbed over earlier and is not giving up!

4670121f0a5ec7bc677db29152ca4d03_zps1aab

the result?

593a7e5d63f94c64947206b36d1f216c_zps7778

Little guys still doing well- looks like he has some friends to the left

225a7f35162fcedede4949948712b8b4_zpsd216

Season greetings- tough to get a pic of

1cf577fefd33ba40a861e518d076c2f3_zps2dce

Another encrusting Monti- in the back and really hard to photograph cause it's behind the green Pocillopora

It's was not getting much light in the back so I moved it up some- starting to get its color back?

28383e6162f0c8084281e7fcaf548b42_zps5936

The "other" birds nest frag starting to take off

3fc5dee131e1a960d16dd779febac465_zps700b

Great pictures! Tell that mille to behave :)

Holy crap, I see it and its still hard to believe that the mille is whoopin on the pocci..... :) lol

Great pics as usual man!

+1

What kind of camera/lens are you using? really clean photos!

Great pictures! Tell that mille to behave :)

Thanks alot! I know -he's a stinging fool- he got "snap" though!

Holy crap, I see it and its still hard to believe that the mille is whoopin on the pocci..... :) lol

Great pics as usual man!

Thanks man, ya it's bruiser

+1

What kind of camera/lens are you using? really clean photos!

Thanks! I have a Nikon D100 and these were shot with a Nikon 105mm AF Micro lens

I wonder if the little thing is octospawn or similar euphyllia?

From what I've seen the closes seems to be a ball anenome - orange base with clear tentacles and colored times- but who know - it could morph and fool us all??

From what I've seen the closes seems to be a ball anenome - orange base with clear tentacles and colored times- but who know - it could morph and fool us all?

Whatever it is, it's pretty cute!

Dude, when you have a whole colony of corynactis I want a polyp.

you got it- I am starting to notice them around

Whatever it is, it's pretty cute!

thanks, ya it got a cool little look to it!

Clavularia making a come back- that's good I can always turn it in to lfs. Mini star on the side of it

e03faee4f5ce3cf5ddc6ab305b2b5753_zpsef63

Another ministar

2abc391c43a865ee6d2c6a271a73f35a_zps66c9

Great pics.

I'm happy to hear the milli can win over the Poci. I'm getting tired of my poci's beating up everyone, now I know what to place nearby. :owned:

Great pics.

I'm happy to hear the milli can win over the Poci. I'm getting tired of my poci's beating up everyone, now I know what to place nearby. :owned:

Ya- and it's not over the wife called me and said that the Mille is sending long sweepers out all over? can't they all just be friends? Something is setting it off

Ya- and it's not over the wife called me and said that the Mille is sending long sweepers out all over can't they all just be friends? Something is setting it off

Its telling you to upgrade, needs more ROOOM!

Archived