SaltCritters.com

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

So I've been holding out on posting on my latest addition - he was the sole survivor of 4 that came into my lfs. They didn't last a week in the store so I wasn't sure he would but I went for it anyways. My pod population has been steadily growing to the point that I was considering some type of control. I've had em for a month now and he's doing good - probably setting myself up for heartbreak but I went for it. They said it was eating mysis but when I watched them feed at the lfs store it showed no interest in it.

So ive also added 1000's of pods- they sell live pods at my lfs store. With my heavy feeding schedule it has recently looked at pellets but I can't say he has actually ate any. He is constantly hunting during the day and is still full in size and not getting skinny . Maybe once the pod population dwindles he will show interest in other foods but I will continue to add pods and see how things go. Tank mates are all getting along no problem. Here's some shots of my Ruby Red- such a beautiful little fish!

e45f2ddb9763ecb5d73e9d9cb7fe78c5_zpsd208

cb8ac6d985cdea28246deddfb93fd5e5_zpsac46

Awesome! Mine eats frozen but his favorite is when I drop Rod's Fish Food in the tank. He will even tear up some of the larger chunks and then he looks in the sand for the smaller stuff after.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So cute! Good luck on keeping the little guy full of pods!!

Thanks Kimberbee! I am lucky my lfs has them on site!

Awesome! Mine eats frozen but his favorite is when I drop Rod's Fish Food in the tank. He will even tear up some of the larger chunks and then he looks in the sand for the smaller stuff after.

Thanks for the tip! I will try that- do you place it next to him- mines still a little shy and if he see tweezers or a droppers coming near him he takes off. With so many pods in the tank it might prove difficult to transition him but I will try Rod's? thanks again!

Thanks for the tip! I will try that- do you place it next to him- mines still a little shy and if he see tweezers or a droppers coming near him he takes off. With so many pods in the tank it might prove difficult to transition him but I will try Rod's thanks again!

I use a turkey baster and he will actually come right up and eat out of the baster tip now. Takes a few weeks once he starts eating frozen before they get a less skittish but I always feed in the same corner so when he sees the red solo cup now he comes over and waits for me.

I use a turkey baster and he will actually come right up and eat out of the baster tip now. Takes a few weeks once he starts eating frozen before they get a less skittish but I always feed in the same corner so when he sees the red solo cup now he comes over and waits for me.

nice, that's awesome!

So I've been holding out on posting on my latest addition - he was the sole survivor of 4 that came into my lfs. They didn't last a week in the store so I wasn't sure he would but I went for it anyways. My pod population has been steadily growing to the point that I was considering some type of control. I've had em for a month now and he's doing good - probably setting myself up for heartbreak but I went for it. They said it was eating mysis but when I watched them feed at the lfs store it showed no interest in it.

So ive also added 1000's of pods- they sell live pods at my lfs store. With my heavy feeding schedule it has recently looked at pellets but I can't say he has actually ate any. He is constantly hunting during the day and is still full in size and not getting skinny . Maybe once the pod population dwindles he will show interest in other foods but I will continue to add pods and see how things go. Tank mates are all getting along no problem. Here's some shots of my Ruby Red- such a beautiful little fish!

I wish you tons of luck. Those are such nice looking fish.

I wish you tons of luck. Those are such nice looking fish.

thank you- I appreciate it. I am gonna give em the best chance I can for sure?

That Ruby Red Is Baaaaaad! :D

Ya- 300 gal. still to booko for me the wife asked last night what's the smallest tank I'd be happy with.............hmmm- I am still thinking 80-90 cube- I think she likes the 40-50 cube. Maybe the 66 cubes ? I reason the light will basically cost the same for a 50-90 cube- why not have more volume? At least now we're talking about it so that's a win in itself

Selling point.... but hun, you see how fast this tank filled up, the smaller we go the sooner we will need to upgrade again. Used tanks lose their value worse then a new car once you roll it off the lot, so if we plan on staying here long term we should just go all out and build a dream tank ;)

If your not planning on staying there just change it up a little to whatever the largest you feel comfortable moving would be lol

That Ruby Red Is Baaaaaad! :D

Selling point.... but hun, you see how fast this tank filled up, the smaller we go the sooner we will need to upgrade again. Used tanks lose their value worse then a new car once you roll it off the lot, so if we plan on staying here long term we should just go all out and build a dream tank ;)

If your not planning on staying there just change it up a little to whatever the largest you feel comfortable moving would be lol

Thanks, ya I am still wanting a 80-90 cube for sure. The mille burned my green cap last night pretty bad - kinda bummed the wife out - only one way to take care of that- I say "tank "about the same time she says "frag "?. Had to do some more fragging on the mille.

Thanks, ya I am still wanting a 80-90 cube for sure. The mille burned my green cap last night pretty bad - kinda bummed the wife out - only one way to take care of that- I say "tank "about the same time she says "frag ". Had to do some more fragging on the mille.

Tell her you can only frag so often before it starts to look like a hack job lol

Cubes are sweet man, have you gotten any quotes yet? :)

Tell her you can only frag so often before it starts to look like a hack job lol

Cubes are sweet man, have you gotten any quotes yet? :)

no not yet- still enjoying the 16 - we came home tonight and walked in and BOOM- a new little crab we've never seen before. I haven't added any rock or frags since 10/17 and that was some small rock . It's small, white and shaped similar to a emerald . So cool to find something new after so long. Ck em out - what do you think it is? Baby Emerald ? Quick ipad shots

c3be87597c2a00b124c9df791402af4d_zps6902

Here it is next to the emerald - hard to see whites dimmed down - right in the middle of the pic- they looked at each other and pretty much ignored each other

857c97cf27ac9af6d5e6f0dbeecb7d29_zps76f1

Do you have multiple emeralds? I don't know if they are known to breed in home aquaria but thatd be pretty sweet if they did. :)

Just get a quote, go new save yourself the bs of a used tank.

Do you have multiple emeralds? I don't know if they are known to breed in home aquaria but thatd be pretty sweet if they did. :)

Just get a quote, go new save yourself the bs of a used tank.

No only got the one emerald. It's been hiding itself for many months and we're always in there with a magnifying len and mini lights at night. Ya , I know- still searching for that smoking deal on Craigslist - crazy how many tanks come up monthly but I agree - new is the way to go?

Could it possibly be an acro crab? I'm on my phone and the pic is really small so hard to tell.

maybe- I don't know much about them - I'll have to do some research. Interesting I just fragged a large piece of my green Pocillopora the day before - maybe that was his home!

Could it possibly be an acro crab? I'm on my phone and the pic is really small so hard to tell.

I'd have to say that's it- they say they love in Pocillopora. It is gone this morning? I'll have to search around my green poci when the lights come on?

I had this happen in my old tank. It was a tiny little xanthid crab that grew to have a carapace about the diameter of a quarter. He was really cool but my goby despised him.

Acro crab was my idea too. The ones I've seen see small and white.

I had this happen in my old tank. It was a tiny little xanthid crab that grew to have a carapace about the diameter of a quarter. He was really cool but my goby despised him.

Little bugger is gone again today probably back up in the poci- gonna have to do a full magnified search through the poci today ?

Little bugger is gone again today probably back up in the poci- gonna have to do a full magnified search through the poci today ?

IME he'll be down closer to the base than at the tips all snuggled into the branches. You'll see him moving his claws about gathering food, but once they find a comfy spot, don't seem to move much.

IME he'll be down closer to the base than at the tips all snuggled into the branches. You'll see him moving his claws about gathering food, but once they find a comfy spot, don't seem to move much.

Great thank you! the poci. Is attached to a rock with a hole and the poci grew down into itmaybe it's down there and why I've never seen it?

cool fish, good choice~

Our poci is so not happy after we had to move it. Guess needs to get uses to his new position. How quick did yours started to grow after adding to the tank?

Archived