Top Shelf Aquatics

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fav tank ;)

Hey thanks man- appreciate that?

This thing still grows out of control. Stop feeding them roids man!

Hahaha- them corals are always hungry ?

I believe he is working on patenting CGH..... Coral Growth Hormone lol

Shhhh- don't expose my secret?

The green birdsnest is frustrating. It grows so darn fast and I never found a way to trim it that didn't end up making a complete mess and ruin the natural look of the colony.

Your tank really looks first rate. Imagine what you could do with twice as much space!

The green birdsnest is frustrating. It grows so darn fast and I never found a way to trim it that didn't end up making a complete mess and ruin the natural look of the colony.

Your tank really looks first rate. Imagine what you could do with twice as much space!

Thanks Mark, Ya I fragged it a while back and now that piece is turning into a pretty good size piece- quite a bit less light and it's still growing. I am still dreaming up a bigger tank - probably should just get a 40 breeder and start making it into a sump to kick start things. Still really enjoying this small tank though - but then I see one like yours and Chris's and the dream starts all over again?

Top down shot with the iPad. Shows where the green Poci has been fragged and how the Birdsnest is starting to shadow a few corals. ab6ef4fab06933cc5d766543bf8cf106_zps2995

Shot during today's w/c5c2cc4b4c008c6001959f9a5e0908137_zps25fe

Man your birdsnest is outa control. Best looking nuvo 16 ever! Are you still only using spin stream nozzles for flow? What's do you feed your SPS? And what's your feeding schedule?

Man your birdsnest is outa control. Best looking nuvo 16 ever! Are you still only using spin stream nozzles for flow? What's do you feed your SPS? And what's your feeding schedule?

Thanks Jay- very kind of you to say! Yes , still using the spin streams ( and their still working too) with an upgraded pump. I am very pro feeding. Morning is flake and pellets for the fish and inverts then the evening just before the whites dim off I mix a concoction of Phyto, roti , oyster feast (2-3drops each) 1/2spoon of reef chili(spoon provided) and 1/2 spoon of reef roids and mix in a little mysis and prime reef frozen. Mix this all together and broadcast feed the tank. This is the daily ritual. Keeping phosphate under control with w/c and GFO ?

So how big was your previous tank before the vacation disaster?

I previous had a 90 (LPS dominated) 20yrs. ago that I ran for about 5 yrs. and broke down into two 40's kept for another 2 yrs. and the more recent vacation disaster tank was a 50 acrylic with diy sump with metal halides and VHO's - started into sps with a green slimmer that was going nuts- this was about 7 -8 yrs. ago on that one. We were in the lfs yesterday and my wife was loving the IM 40 cube- but I am pushing for something bigger. They also had a marineland 90 that freaked her out alittle ?

Excellent. :)

I always liked the 65 gallon size wise, a tall 40 breeder. If I could have fit a 36" cube into the house I would have, but the widest I could fit without actually removing both parts of a sliding glass door was 18" deep. I really wanted a 180.

Here's some shots from last night

Pink Stylo- for you Tigerlily?- can't wait to watch yours blossom

5636f6f6a9f75e892b5506a9877046fd_zps1106

Green w/ purple rim cap

bf48433be84ba86746125beec47cb00b_zps5267

Pink/purple Mille- still a growing machine!

8638ad9c43756fb070e37fc542a5dd9e_zps41bf

Green mille- starting to take off

037b5ad2600ce802ffb4c478dee00b8b_zpsf89c

Undata- encrusting more and getting that purple edge going

c96b75f79b98fdf4d827aa28e06adc92_zps7324

Purple stylo

5443122267d0b7501d325c32e2ee8c2d_zpsee71

ea6a176d589625b058572fb28d5c53cb_zps6592

Idaho grape

fb122713cd163c5ba17dfed3c420435e_zps89cd

Bubblegum - still struggle getting the true color of this coral in a foto- pink rims on the coralites and developing some nice blue on the tips too. Encrusting well

d2562a259c3c949dbe49e481ede90af8_zps2b8c

5a7b9c56fed83da3bdde459c34c2fdbf_zpse390

Excellent. :)

I always liked the 65 gallon size wise, a tall 40 breeder. If I could have fit a 36" cube into the house I would have, but the widest I could fit without actually removing both parts of a sliding glass door was 18" deep. I really wanted a 180.

Ya I blew it on a 180 on Craigslist - tank and and stand was $600- looked to be in really good shape but it went fast. I like the 32-36" cubes cause I can get away with one light and save that way- but the hybrid led/T5's aren't cheap but one should do it

Which LFS's in Denver would you recommend? I'm planning to visit some friends up there in the next couple of months and would like to pick up a piece or two.

Beautiful pictures of beautiful corals, as always :wub: I love the shape of the green monti cap!

Thanks Teeny- it's restricted in plating out so its starting to spiral nicely!

Which LFS's in Denver would you recommend? I'm planning to visit some friends up there in the next couple of months and would like to pick up a piece or two.

Cool- hit me up when your around maybe I can meet you there. Definately the best livestock is from Aquatic Arts in Highland's Ranch - south of downtown Denver about 20 min. . Here's their website www.aquaticartinc.com Great selection of frags and colonies. They have an incredible 500gal. Show tank with large pieces - some over 15 yrs. old. Owner Chris is extremely knowledgable and approachable ?. Only place in Denver I trust
Damn man, as always, things are looking stellar. Im beyond jealous of your growth rates, Im in stagnation.

Thanks man- appreciate it- are you feeding regulary? Since my light is minimal at best imo- I think my feeding has really helped out

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks man- appreciate it- are you feeding regulary? Since my light is minimal at best imo- I think my feeding has really helped out

I feed pretty heavily, the fish get 1/2 a cube mysis, 1/2 cube of blood worms, pellets daily. Then I feed a mix of oysters and a few other things every 3 or 4 days. Im not really sure what the deal-eo is. But while I figgure it out Im going to just enjoy seeing yours.

I feed pretty heavily, the fish get 1/2 a cube mysis, 1/2 cube of blood worms, pellets daily. Then I feed a mix of oysters and a few other things every 3 or 4 days. Im not really sure what the deal-eo is. But while I figgure it out Im going to just enjoy seeing yours.

Reef Roids, and see what happens!

Hahaha- bigger tank makes everything look smaller - lol. Ya that's a good amount of food- another benefit of your bb- getting all that extra food out! How often do you have to siphon out to keep a clean look?

NorthGaHillbilly

Well just brain storming as I clean up down in the man cave and I just checked the calibration on my refractometer it's off... my tank had been running at 1.023. everything has been looking good, just no growth. Might be the main cause.

So upping salinity and getting reef rods are on the schedgule

Well just brain storming as I clean up down in the man cave and I just checked the calibration on my refractometer it's off... my tank had been running at 1.023. everything has been looking good, just no growth. Might be the main cause.

So upping salinity and getting reef rods are on the schedgule

Cool- something always creeps up? roids is good - I really like reef chili too

Thanks Jay- very kind of you to say! Yes , still using the spin streams ( and their still working too) with an upgraded pump. I am very pro feeding. Morning is flake and pellets for the fish and inverts then the evening just before the whites dim off I mix a concoction of Phyto, roti , oyster feast (2-3drops each) 1/2spoon of reef chili(spoon provided) and 1/2 spoon of reef roids and mix in a little mysis and prime reef frozen. Mix this all together and broadcast feed the tank. This is the daily ritual. Keeping phosphate under control with w/c and GFO

Man that's like a Chinese buffet everynight!

Archived