Coral Vue Hydros

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

15 min is perhaps a bit long, especially for smooth skin acros. From the ORA website:

Hawkins Echinata is a very delicate short branching coral that exhibits a turquoise to aquamarine coloration. The tips of the ORA Hawkins turn ultraviolet in color when under intense lighting. The absence of a protective slime coat on this coral’s tissue makes it more prone to drying out when out of the water and more sensitive to iodine based dips.

I didn't dip my A. granulosa for this reason, just removed the base and visually inspected the frag thoroughly with a magnifiying glass for pests.

The hawkins is not actually an echinata, it is a turaki. Regardless revive is a horribly rough dip for acros especially smooth skins. I have dipped wild Granulosa colonies w/o issue in bayer ;)

I dip everything in bayer for 10+ minutes. I've left different pieces in for over 30 minutes even w/o any issue even. Bayer is gentle on coral, tough on pest.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Mark, same to you. Yes I think it's time to try Bayer - my attempt at smooth skin acros has started rough- enchinata died a day after the dip with Revive. How long do you leave them in the Bayer? After reading up on the enchinata I see they do not react well to fragging or dipping.

It varies, I don't really time it. Last time around I left the Lokani in dip for 30 minutes. I recommend a better approach. :)

The hawkins is not actually an echinata, it is a turaki. Regardless revive is a horribly rough dip for acros especially smooth skins. I have dipped wild Granulosa colonies w/o issue in bayer ;)

I dip everything in bayer for 10+ minutes. I've left different pieces in for over 30 minutes even w/o any issue even. Bayer is gentle on coral, tough on pest.

I'm not sure if the Echinata that Sk8n Reefer has is a 'Hawkins' (seems like it's really a Turaki...wouldn't be first or last time an Acro species was misidentified), just quoting ORA in regards to the delicate nature of this type of coral. Good info, nonetheless :)

Excellent to hear so many good results with Bayer.

I'm not sure if the Echinata that Sk8n Reefer has is a 'Hawkins' (seems like it's really a Turaki...wouldn't be first or last time an Acro species was misidentified), just quoting ORA in regards to the delicate nature of this type of coral. Good info, nonetheless :)

Excellent to hear so many good results with Bayer.

Well what ever acro it was I killed it in record time ?. I'll be picking up some Bayer. My lfs has a nice blue Oregon tort that I was debating getting- they said it's just as hardy as the enchinata but a slow grower compared to it so I opted for the enchinata. Any luck dipping or growing out a blue Oregon tort

Well what ever acro it was I killed it in record time . I'll be picking up some Bayer. My lfs has a nice blue Oregon tort that I was debating getting- they said it's just as hardy as the enchinata but a slow grower compared to it so I opted for the enchinata. Any luck dipping or growing out a blue Oregon tort

Dip it in Bayer, I'd do 10ml in 4 oz until you get the hang of things. 10 minutes should be fine, rinse it twice in tank water..... Its not as touchy as the echinata but the original was somewhat touchy..... but it has been in captivity for many yrs now so I'd like to think its been getting a little more adapted to our ways lol

It is a pretty slow grower but I call dibs on 1st frag when its ready if it is actually an Oregon Tort! :) lol

Dip it in Bayer, I'd do 10ml in 4 oz until you get the hang of things. 10 minutes should be fine, rinse it twice in tank water..... Its not as touchy as the echinata but the original was somewhat touchy..... but it has been in captivity for many yrs now so I'd like to think its been getting a little more adapted to our ways lol

It is a pretty slow grower but I call dibs on 1st frag when its ready if it is actually an Oregon Tort! :) lol

Bayer for sure- thanks for the info. I'd be happy to send over a frag if I get one and can keep it alive! That brings up another question-how so you know if a coral is really true type?

Some new year shots!

Emerald crab cleaning out the folds of my green cap- just the tip is still seeing light and trying to grow

FKRbuih.jpg

2CufU0G.jpg

Clavularia making a comeback

LyCyN58.jpg

Setosa doing just ok on the frag rack- needs some stronger lighting. Good candidate to move over to the 50g

Png0WQx.jpg

Just can't get a good picture of this coral without the colors washing out

1x6LmDI.jpg

Grafted cap growing well

imc6Hfh.jpg

Puffball wreaking havoc across the darkness

bmBgKb0.jpg

Looking good mate! whens the new thread going to start :)

Thanks man, New thread is up- I need to link it to my sig. Check it out - Moai of the Sea! Is the name of the thread ???

Puffball for president.

Hahaha- crowd fav for sure! Got the new thread up for the 50gal.

Is puffball moving to the 50?

For sure? probably keep the Idaho grape on the same rock so puffball can chill in the same spot!

Transferred a few corals over to the 50 tonight. Did a ton of maintenance and w/c's to get me through the week- off to Salt Lake City tomorrow?

Have a good trip!

Thanks, looks like there are plenty of fish store in the area too- hopefully I'll have some time to check them out- Rocky Mountain frags is out there too. ?

For sure probably keep the Idaho grape on the same rock so puffball can chill in the same spot!

Transferred a few corals over to the 50 tonight. Did a ton of maintenance and w/c's to get me through the week- off to Salt Lake City tomorrow

The holidays flew by, didn't they? :( Good luck on your trip! Travel safe

What is that blueish fuzzy coral?

Thanks! Yes they did- two weeks off and it flew by. Got a lot done around the house and with the tanks though ?

The holidays flew by, didn't they? :( Good luck on your trip! Travel safeWhat is that blueish fuzzy coral?

Not sure- maybe pavona?

I forget who Puffball is? The sponge?

Is the clavularia making a comeback a good thing? It would be for me but I know some people don't like the cloves.

I forget who Puffball is? The sponge?Is the clavularia making a comeback a good thing? It would be for me but I know some people don't like the cloves.

Hahaha- yes the little white one that travels around under the Idaho grape. They are beautiful and one of my wife's favorites and I can trade them in at my lfs once they start to get spread out ? I've traded them in twice already and each time one polyp remains and they keep doing well.

Safe travels and yes, we enjoyed the progress you made on the tanks these last 2 weeks. Good job!

Thanks, I made it! I also took a bunch of pics last night so I can post up this week too?

Hahaha- yes the little white one that travels around under the Idaho grape. They are beautiful and one of my wife's favorites and I can trade them in at my lfs once they start to get spread out I've traded them in twice already and each time one polyp remains and they keep doing well.

Thanks, I made it! I also took a bunch of pics last night so I can post up this week too

At first I was like...what??? You get credit for your sponges???? But than I figured out you meant the cloves :).

I love all the life under the Idaho grape- it's shading the whole right front part of the tank so sponges and micro life are doing really well!

lxUCbwQ.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest

CYTAVhG.jpg

Purple rimmed green cap - this coral is now 8" wide ?

6QITJTx.jpg

What is that blueish fuzzy coral?

Could it be a galaxea coral? Does it send out long sweeper tenticles at night Sk8n?

Could it be a galaxea coral? Does it send out long sweeper tenticles at night Sk8n?

It's a type of sps- probably Pavona. Cool little coral- it was a freebie from a show?

Came back from being away for a week and really noticed the growth of the corals ?. Alk is rock solid with the doser - love it. Dosing 72ml. a day now to keep Alk at 7. Got some shots this afternoon. Here's a mix of iPad and some macro shots

Season's greetings, grafted cap and orange/red encrusting Monti are loving the light and showing some really nice growth ? spin stream Poci is out of control ? yes it's still spinning

721fb4aa7dd3ab37bca4c8d64d612ab8_zpsz6eg

FTS

28259e375d950f7009bd2b67f2edeffd_zpshx6n

Purple Stylo about an inch from the surface now

IcDO7mW.jpg

Pink Stylo

7RRvozg.jpg

Spin stream Poci

d6VHqke.jpg

QZGQ7sZ.jpg

Encrusting Monti - with one little green polyp sticking out

lfRSrK2.jpg