SaltCritters.com

Urbanek's 250

urbaneks

Such an amazing tank. The stand, the 'scape, the corals, the photography... it's just mind-blowing. I'm in awe. :o

Viking - Thanks! Really appreciate the compliment on the tank.

Already on it :lol: I have some barn wood in the garage waiting........................

I love working with barnwood. I'm just finishing a project for another reefer in my area and I did mushroom wood doors on his cabinet. They came out amazing! Makes me want to redo my doors.

• Like 2

June 4th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been a few days since I've updated. Here are few new photos. Thanks for looking.

CopperBand_zpskglmjfgm.jpg

One of my all time favorites. I feel fortunate to have found this guy

Hermit_zps7no7rtkj.jpg

Cool Macro of one of my Hermit Crabs

Hawk_zpsyrntv2qp.jpg

Artistic Shot of my Geometric Pygmy Hawk

Zoa_zps29wkhz9r.jpg

A shot of one of my few zoas

• Like 5
Elizabeth94

Crazy shot of that hawkfish.. really nice job taking pictures! The copperband looks really healthy, what do you feed and how often?

RIP Sebastian - Thanks for the kind post.

LOL. My reaction every time, too. :D

J-Ranko - Thanks for the continued views and comments. Really appreciate it.

Crazy shot of that hawkfish.. really nice job taking pictures! The copperband looks really healthy, what do you feed and how often?

Elizabeth - Thanks for the props on the Hawkfish photo. That was taken with almost no light on in the tank which is why I had the aperture dialed so wide. As for my copperband, he mainly eats live black worms but also eats LRS. I've had him almost a year now.

Love that butterfly photo. It's interesting how it looks dark, yet still really sharp.

Ben - Thanks for the reply. I've been taking photos pretty late at night just as the lights are going out. That is why a bunch of my photos including the Copperband looks dark. As long as you have a good lens that will shoot at or near 2 on the aperture, you can still get sharp photos, you just need a steady hand or tripod.

Thanks for the frag plugs BTW! I have not had a chance to frag any corals yet but I'm super excited to try them. You did a great job on the design. I hope to get some frags cut and mounted this weekend.

• Like 1
Maui's Reef

Ben - Thanks for the reply. I've been taking photos pretty late at night just as the lights are going out. That is why a bunch of my photos including the Copperband looks dark. As long as you have a good lens that will shoot at or near 2 on the aperture, you can still get sharp photos, you just need a steady hand or tripod.

Thanks for the frag plugs BTW! I have not had a chance to frag any corals yet but I'm super excited to try them. You did a great job on the design. I hope to get some frags cut and mounted this weekend.

No problem! and thank you for the compliment! I hope they work well for you.

June 11th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been almost a week since my last photo update so I'm adding quite a few photos today.

Mandarin_zpsmabe6fd8.jpg

Target Mandarin Dragonette - Love the glide he has going here

MidnightStag_zpsmt3fm6ko.jpg

Midnight Stag - Courtesy of Jeff Porter (Thanks!)

Harlequin_zpsaydfg7s6.jpg

Harlequin Shrimp - My latest addition. I have a bit of a starfish problem right now

FrogSpawn_zpszcsf4jpr.jpg

Frogspawn - My only euphilia

BigDog_zpsuuasobu6.jpg

One more hermit shot - The Big Dog

Hermit_zps7no7rtkj.jpg

Red Leg Hermit

DaiseyCutter_zpstgl0kry3.jpg

Daisy Cutter Zoa

• Like 5

June 11th, 2016 - Response to Feedback

The tank is looking incredible as always. What's your favourite coral in the tank?

4x5 - Really appreciate the kind words. Favorite coral is a tough question. If I had to chose one, it's probably be the Pearl Berry!

Pearl%20Berry%20Forest_zpsdev2ewdt.jpg

But there is always the Oregon Tort!

Oregon%20Tort_zpssrlz7bwt.jpg

No problem! and thank you for the compliment! I hope they work well for you.

Got my first chance to mount a couple frags on the Maui's Reef plugs today. They are outstanding! I love having the round indention on top to give the coral something to adhere to. Awesome design.

• Like 5

May I ask, and perhaps you already shared, but for the macro and other close up shots what are your camera settings?

Tank is amazing...

• Like 1

May I ask, and perhaps you already shared, but for the macro and other close up shots what are your camera settings?

Tank is amazing...

HM3105 - I don't use the same camera settings at all times. I move them around depending on the light that I have available. In general, I like to shoot in aperture priority mode. I adjust the aperture up/down depending on the depth of filed I'm look for. Then I adjust the ISO up/down so that I can get a shutter speed that 1/30th or faster (if I'm hand holding the camera). If I have a tripod, then I keep the ISO as low as possible and let the shutter slow down.

These photos are surreal. Just amazing!

Ben - Many thanks!

mitten_reef

Long time admirer of your tank build (since the "Viewpoints" was featured by MD), finally signed up for an NR account. This is the first build I officially follow. B)

The system you have going is amazing; and the photographic journal is nothing short of spectacular!

Nano sapiens

June 11th, 2016 - Response to Feedback

4x5 - Really appreciate the kind words. Favorite coral is a tough question. If I had to chose one, it's probably be the Pearl Berry!

Pearl%20Berry%20Forest_zpsdev2ewdt.jpg

Just had to post this one more time :)

That is one super happy Acro! The coral's pigmentation is simply stunning...

• Like 1

June 19th, 2016 - Photo Update

Happy Father's Day! I'm getting around to a photo update here on my reef journal. I'd like to share a few photos of some of the chalices that I have in the tank. I really like the color variation and texture that these corals have. Thanks for looking. Views and comments are always appreciated.

Challice8_zpsbk1g3txl.jpg

Challice7_zpsjnajo6wg.jpg

Challice5_zpsph8ghved.jpg

Challice6_zpsbei4act4.jpg

Challice2_zpsydhv4c8d.jpg

Challice3_zpshz3xwz6a.jpg

Challice4_zpsrcosphrq.jpg

Challice1_zpsmidj8dmj.jpg

• Like 7

Long time admirer of your tank build (since the "Viewpoints" was featured by MD), finally signed up for an NR account. This is the first build I officially follow. B)

The system you have going is amazing; and the photographic journal is nothing short of spectacular!

micoatreefing - Thanks for the views and comments and better yet, following along. I really appreciated it. Hope to have you along for the long hall.

Just had to post this one more time :)

That is one super happy Acro! The coral's pigmentation is simply stunning...

Nano sapiens - Much appreciated. The Pearl Berry is one of my all time favs.

June 23rd, 2016 - Photo Update

Been a bit since my last update. Here is a quick photo upload of some of my recent shots. Thanks for the views and comments.

Lime%20in%20the%20Sky_zpsyinydiud.jpg

Lime in the Sky - Love the details captured here

Flame%20Thrower_zpszo6yloiy.jpg

WWC Flame Thrower - This coral keeps getting nicer and nicer!

RR%20OP_zpskwsxypky.jpg

RR Orange Passion - Just a frag but have very high hopes

JFFF_zpsz9lcrdgo.jpg

JF Fox Flame - This one's been growing great as of late

Scolly_zpsu2gvgtsh.jpg

Scolly Macro

Mushroom_zpsrx1lapey.jpg

Jaw Breaker Mushroom - My one and only mushroom

• Like 8

June 24th, 2016 - Response to Feedback

Beautiful detail in these shots. I agree that the Orange Passion looks like it will be a stunner when it grows up :)

Nano Sapiens - As always, really appreciate you following along and taking time to comment.

I love Pearlberry's as well, Northern Lights Granulosa's aren't bad either <3

Spencer7 - Another coal I need to get my hands on. :)