Coral Vue Hydros

Urbanek's 250

urbaneks

Just saw the video. Love it! Gives a whole different perspective.

Dylan- that's great. Thanks for taking the time to watch it. Most people who come to the house are surprised by how large the tank. The macro shots and photos do make it seem smaller.

8 Months of Reefing
I've been taking a photo a day of my reef since January 1st. The recaps below are from each month of the year thus far. I hope you enjoy the compilation of images that make up 8 months of my Project 365.

Thanks for looking. Comments and questions are always welcomed.

Project%20365%20Month%208_zpstwlwq0c9.jp
Project%20365%20Month%207_zpsn0zwxjnf.jp
Project%20365%20Month%206_zpsddpb0iv6.jp
Project%20365%20Month%205_zpsyifzl8mr.jp
Project%20365%20Month%204_zpseqb8phig.jp
Project%20365%20Month%203_zpsvgf7bfvb.jp
Feb%20Wrap%20Up_zpshullfs8h.jpg
January%20Wrap%20Up_zpspiotcrjl.jpg

• Like 9

Dear god, hands down the most beautiful tank I've ever seen! Once I do my 7' x 3' x 18" tall your build will be my inspiration!

Gooburz - Thank you so much for a wonderful comment. Feel free to contact me on your build, I'd love to provide my opinion.

What can one say...simply beautiful coral/fish montage.

Nano Sapiens - Thank you for the view and comment. Always appreciated.

Gooburz - Thank you so much for a wonderful comment. Feel free to contact me on your build, I'd love to provide my opinion.

Sadly it's gonna be another year or 2 before I even start the build but the reclaimed wood for the stand is going to be a must for me. But I will hit you up with questions as I'm starting the plan over the next couple years

September 4th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been about a week since I last updated the journal so here you go. FTS, FISH, CORAL, FISH, CORAL. Thanks in advance for looking. Views and comments are always appreciated, questions and feedback even more so.

FTS2_zpsfvqmlka8.jpg

Here is one of the latest FTS taken with only LEDs running. This is how I like to view the tank when I get home in the evenings.

Starry2_zpsie8tsyp3.jpg

My Starry Blenny - If you don't have one of these go get one. There is not downside to these guys

Blastos_zpsyntfhrc9.jpg

Blastos - This coral dates back to my original nano cube, I've had it at least 8 years now.

German%20Blue_zpscj3cjdab.jpg

ORA German Blue Digitata

Pygmy%20Hawk_zpsvwpibfoe.jpg

Geo - The Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish

• Like 5

Sadly it's gonna be another year or 2 before I even start the build but the reclaimed wood for the stand is going to be a must for me. But I will hit you up with questions as I'm starting the plan over the next couple years

Take your time with the planning stages, it's half the fun. Look forward to hearing from you along the way.

Really healthy Blastos (not so easy to keep them going for a long time, so congrats!). And who dosn't liike a big, colorful blue M. digitata! :)

Thanks for the view and comment.

Beautiful! I love my starry blenny he cracks me up, great fish!

Thanks. Congrats on the TOTM.

As far as "Big" Tanks go...This certainly is a Show Piece :) Nice work Urbaneks B)

It shows all the Hard work and dedication u have put into it :)

Edited by Astinus

Holy cow!

Amazing job!

Thank you very much!

As far as "Big" Tanks go...This certainly is a Show Piece :) Nice work Urbaneks B)

It shows all the Hard work and dedication u have put into it :)

Thanks for the view and comment. Glad when the hard work and dedication is noticed.

• Like 1

February 1st, 2016 - Response to Feedback

RollaJase - Thanks for the reply. Careful of what you wish for. Once they take hold they grow fast and have a tendency to shade corals. Make sure you've mounted them appropriately.

reefsahoy - thanks for the reply here on NR. By chance are you the same reefsahoy that use to be on Reef Central? If so, I bought my last light based on how much I liked your aquarium.

Sorry for such a late reply. Been off the boards for awhile now. Yes same reefsahoy as RC. Btw, your setup is pretty awesome. I really like the finish from start to finish. Love the stand! Missing my sps tank and seriously considering doing a small tank but have to wrap my hands around the responsibility before committing to it. Still not sold on leds other than for enhancement lighting as I'm old school.

Sorry for such a late reply. Been off the boards for awhile now. Yes same reefsahoy as RC. Btw, your setup is pretty awesome. I really like the finish from start to finish. Love the stand! Missing my sps tank and seriously considering doing a small tank but have to wrap my hands around the responsibility before committing to it. Still not sold on leds other than for enhancement lighting as I'm old school.

reefsahoy - No prob on the delay, glad you finally got back to me. Your old tank was a big inspiration on my last build. Still loved the Giesmann Infinty light. I fully understand about the consideration for a tank. They are a big committment and factor into things like vacation. :)

My Starry Blenny is my favorite in the tank, so much fun to watch, 2nd favorite is the Diamond Goby.

Agree! Great fish. Thanks for the view and comments.

• Like 1

reefsahoy - No prob on the delay, glad you finally got back to me. Your old tank was a big inspiration on my last build. Still loved the Giesmann Infinty light. I fully understand about the consideration for a tank. They are a big committment and factor into things like vacation. :)

Funny you stated vacation. That was the reason I took down the tanka few years ago. Sps is almost impossible to keep if I'm constantly traveling. I've been at my job for over 30 years and have 6 weeks vacation so I've been traveling with the Mrs. like a mad man. Been to virtually every eastern countries in Europe, Japan, S. America , Canada and around the US. When I had the tank I would always wonder if I'd come home to a flood or a sea food mix so taking it down was the only option, but I do miss my tank. However when I look at tanks like yours I get the urge. Keep up the great work, now your tank is my inspiration! ?

However when I look at tanks like yours I get the urge. Keep up the great work, now your tank is my inspiration!

That means a lot. It's funny how things can go full circle like that.

September 11th, 2016 - Photo Update

Time for my weekly photo update. Here are some images that were taken in the last week. As always, views, likes and comments are appreciated. Any question or suggestions are appreciated even more.

Thanks for looking!

FTS%20All%20T5_zpsrgzpvwgn.jpg

September FTS - From Hallway Side

Window_zps1opeuzov.jpg

A small window into some coral goodness.

FireBreather_zpshk42tjpz.jpg

WWC Fire Breather

FF_zpswaexavkn.jpg

Forest Fire Digitata

Goni_zpsg8omh97p.jpg

WWC Red Gonipora

Efflo_zpstrqs20ca.jpg

Efflo - Taken in hopes of one day showing some good growth comparisons

Chromis_zpsi3qpghx0.jpg

Peek-A-Boo

SF_zpsx7kegqz7.jpg

Strawberry Fields - Taken with a bit of red LEDs added. :)

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

September 19th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been more than a week since my last update. I've been focusing on top down macro shots over the last week or so. Here are a few of my favorite shots. Comments, questions are always appreciated.

Thanks, for looking!

Verde_zpsowscimgz.jpg

ORA Verde

RedPlanet_zps2mxg5pmy.jpg

ORA Red Planet - How can you not love this coral

GreenPlanet_zps4ycyf0cb.jpg

ORA Green Planet - ORA should have named this Shagtastic, reminds me of shag carpet

ThePorter_zpsl9wg6qnl.jpg

The Porter - Self titled coral after one of my favorite local reefers

FoxFlame_zpsj3ltn3oa.jpg

Jason Fox - Fox Flame

Zard_zpscnxlas2s.jpg

Turquoise Stag

FireBreather_zpshk42tjpz.jpg

WWC Fire Breather

Plasma_zpskak52gkd.jpg

ORA Purple Plasma

Joe_zps7f04urle.jpg

ORA Joe the Coral

• Like 4

What's your best tips for top down shots, are you hand holding the camera? My top downs never turn out as good as my tripod mountain normal shots.

I use a porthole viewer from avast. Turn on as much light as you can and set your iso and aperture so that your shutter speed is at least 1/30th of a second. That will overcome shaking. I always hand hold my top downs.

• Like 1