Cultivated Reef

Urbanek's 250

urbaneks

I meant that in a good way, just so u kno lol.

I'm old but not that old. :) I know that right now crazy can mean crazy good!

Thanks again for the views and comments.

Unreal man. I am not sure how I have missed this tank but you have done an incredible job.

-Dave

Dave - Thanks for checking out my journal. I've been kicking around the idea of another nano. If I go there I'd really love to do one of your lights.

Are you feeding the harlequin shrimp? Or it just feeds on the asternia stars?

I'm not feed the harlequin yet. I still have plenty of aseternia for him to eat. Once/If he wipes out the population, I will start getting him a starfish every couple weeks.

• Like 2

August 13th, 2016 - Weekly Photo Update

I wanted to get my weekly update posted. Thanks in advanced for your views and comments.

End%20Cap_zpsjurmpqbl.jpg

I recently had the MP60 off the end of the tank and decided to snap a couple photos. Here is what the reef looks like from the end of the peninsula.

Middle%20Trench_zpspxaags1v.jpg

Last weekend, I finished a rescape of the middle of the tank. Here is what the middle of the tank looks like now.

Starry_zpsjdpiluzx.jpg

My latest addition - Can't believe I never had one of these before

Green%20Goblin_zpskrxk3zko.jpg

Bio Reef - Green Goblin

Phong_zpsw9feni1c.jpg

Reef Raft - The Phoung

Unknown%20Tort_zpsm0btfvnt.jpg

Unknown Tort - Love the detail in the skin of this coral

DaisyCutters_zpscgbsej7b.jpg

Daisy Cutter Zoas

• Like 9

Amazing as always! The daisy cutters are really pretty.

Tennyreef - Many thanks. Once again, congrats on the TOTM and Reefbuilders write up.

• Like 1

Tennyreef - Many thanks. Once again, congrats on the TOTM and Reefbuilders write up.

Thanks, Brad! I really think you should start a nano again :D

Thanks, Brad! I really think you should start a nano again :D

We are kicking around the idea of down sizing houses, that would mean downsizing tanks as well. Not sure if I could go Nano only but one would be in the plans. I still thin 250g is really a nano(ocean)

• Like 2

August 20th, 2016 - Weekly Photo Update

Time for my weekly photo update of the reef. The series of shots below are taken of the hallway side of the peninsula starting from the left and working right. The 4th image is a compilation of the 3, if you look closely you can see the corals that overlap the photos

Left_zps7rcac5ba.jpg

Middle_zpsaflypqtv.jpg

Right_zpsh4i8b1h3.jpg

PhotoMerge_zpsjcxwve2n.jpg

Here are a couple growth progression shots. The first set is my Pro Corals Rainbow, the second set is my GOW Stag

PC%20Rainbow%202_zpscw1akq0q.jpg

Photo taken August 17th, 2016

ProCorals%20Rainbow_zpsarsnqfqn.jpg

Photo taken April 7th, 2016

GOW_zpspc8airs3.jpg

GOW Stag - Photo taken August 19th, 2016

GOW_zpse6yidlma.jpg

GOW Stag - Photo taken July 5th, 2016

Here are a couple more images taken this week.

Sunburst_zpsbv18md79.jpg

Sunburst Anthias

StrawberryFields_zpsgzwvgmyl.jpg

This image is of the left side of the tank from the hallway side. This is also my favorite section of the tank. The Hawkins above the table is growing beautifully over the table. The table is providing just enough shade to allow the frog spawn under the coral to thrive. What is not pictured is the large open arch under the table that allows for a great swimming lane.

• Like 9

BEAUTIFUL tank :wub:

Someday! I might be able to afford to convert our 75G FW.

BUT, until then, I can certainly enjoy photos of other's wonderful Reefs.

Great Pics as well Urbaneks!

BEAUTIFUL tank :wub:

Someday! I might be able to afford to convert our 75G FW.

BUT, until then, I can certainly enjoy photos of other's wonderful Reefs.

Great Pics as well Urbaneks!

Astinus - I hope that one day you to convert over to salt water. Like most, I came from keeping freshwater tanks long, long ago. Salt provides another level of enjoyment.

• Like 1

Astinus - I hope that one day you to convert over to salt water. Like most, I came from keeping freshwater tanks long, long ago. Salt provides another level of enjoyment.

Absolutely! I have a 28 Gal Nano. Link in my Sig.

I TOTALLY enjoy this tank...even though I am getting issues with Aiptasia and Different types of Algae.

I Love ur Tank and the Scape!

• Like 1

August 21st, 2016 - Video Update

I thought I'd mess around with a little video tonight. I'm not real happy with the white balance from shot to shot. Something to work on I guess. At any rate, here's a little video of my reef. Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Magnificent. I think I don't want to mess with SPS, and then I see a tank like this ..

Newstead - It's not a matter of if you will go to SPS, it's a matter of when! :) Thanks for taking the time to view and comment.

Beautiful photos as always. What are you currently feeding your copperband butterfly? Have you noticed any picking at corals?

ninjamyst - Thanks for the kind words. My CBB loves live black worms, I typically have these on hand for him. I can buy about 4 weeks worth and they keep in the fridge as long as you change out the water every couple days. When I'm out of black worms, he will eat LRS. I wish I could tell you I have some secret but I don't. I tried these 2x before and never got them out of QT. This one was eating at the LFS, continued to eat thru QT and I've had him in my display for almost a year now. He does not even look at corals like food. He's always looking for pods.

Favorite thread on here! Love all the pics and updates!

mpsti05 - Those are strong words, words I appreciate!

• Like 1

August 27th, 2016 - Weekly Photo Update

It's been a week since I've posted so its time for another weekly photo upload. If you missed the photo I posted a few days ago, please have a look at that. That was my first attempt at video through the DSLR. I have a lot to learn with the video but it gives you a better sense of the tank.

FTS_zpsecjdlzmt.jpg

August FTS - I find it hard to take a photo that shows the cabinetry and the tank in decent light. This was the result of several attempts.

Trench_zpsmqqswsxk.jpg

Middle section of the tank, taken from the Living Room

Hawkins2_zpspy4htztt.jpg

StrawberryFields_zpsgzwvgmyl.jpg

Hawkins_zps8gfond6f.jpg

These first 3 photos are all of my ORA Hawkins Echinata. This is one of my all time favorites. I liked how this series of shots shows the macro and wide views of how the coral looks in my tank.

SSC_zpsffkg7thl.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

Acan_zpsd6uwscjv.jpg

I don't keep mayn LPS, only 3 acans in the tank but this one is by far my favorite.

UnknownPorter_zpszut5q58a.jpg

This is a coral given to me by one of our local reefers. He didn't have a name on the coral so for now I'm calling it "The Porter", named after the guy that gave it to me.

PB_zps6vssbw0g.jpg

Pearl Berry - Under Actinics

• Like 8

August 31st, 2016 - Photo Recap for August of 2016

As I've done in each of the previous months, here is a recap of the photos I took of the aquarium in August. I look forward to any comments or questions folks may have on the tank.

Project%20365%20Month%208_zpstwlwq0c9.jp

• Like 4