Pod Your Reef

Urbanek's 250

urbaneks

May 28th, 2016 - Photo Update

Time for a few new photos. Thanks for looking! Views and comments are always appreciated.

For those of you that have been following along and reading my updates, you know that I have a dozen chromis that actively lay eggs. When they are laying eggs they get very aggressive towards anything that gets near their eggs. In addition, they stop shoaling and end up in pairs around the tank. After 3-4 days of protecting the eggs, something eats the eggs and they return to their shoal for a week or so before the cycle starts again. There is peace in the tank at the moment and the shoal is intact.

Chromis_zpssw5bz9lx.jpg

Chromis Shoal

Here is a shot of my Lime in the Sky Acropora. As you can see the coral is green with light blue growth tips, hence the name lime in the sky. This is one of many stags that I have in the aquarium. I mounted this one low in the aquarium hoping to get a nice vertical upward growth from the bottom of the tank up to the top. Since originally posting this back in January, it's put on about 1" of growth. At this rate, I'll have my desired effect in about 2 years. :) Patience is a virtue.

LimeinSky_zps6y27s5rj.jpg

Lime in the Sky Acropora

Here is a photo of one of my chalice corals. I'm not sure of the name/identity of this coral. If anyone knows, feel free to send me the name of the coral. I really like the coloration and detail of the yes on this coral. As mentioned before, I'm pretty new to keeping chalices and only recently started adding them to the lower less lit areas of my tank.

Chalice_zps3poh7g0k.jpg

Unknown Chalice

• Like 10

March 29th, 2016 - Response to Feedback

Amazing photos as usual, but that chromis shot is incredible!

Ben - Really appreciate you stopping back by the journal and leaving a quick note.

I love the pics of the goby/shrimp pair. Keep it up!

Dylan - Thanks for the view and comment. The goby/shrimp pairs are wonderful additions to any reef.

awesome pictures. so sharp and clear.

ninjamyst - Much appreciated.

March 30th, 2016 - Response to Feedback

I love checking on this thread :) I agree with the above poster: that chromis shot is amazing.

Stellablue - Thanks so much!

Well I just had 11 pages of quality reading, this is so good it's probably illegal. Wow.

Halo_003 - Really appreciate the kind words.

• Like 1

April 1st, 2016 - 90 Days of Reefing

As I've mentioned prior, I've been doing a Project 365 on another forum where I take and upload a photo of my reef each day. I just finished the first 3 months and this is the recap of those 90 days.

January%20Wrap%20Up_zpspiotcrjl.jpg

Feb%20Wrap%20Up_zpshullfs8h.jpg

Project%20365%20Month%203_zpsvgf7bfvb.jp

• Like 9

April 3rd, 2016 - Photo Update

I recently borrowed a top down porthole that connects to camera, WOW, what a difference it makes in capturing photos. These first 2 shots were taken with the porthole. The last one was thru the glass.

Thanks for looking!

Brain_zpsw1ryhurm.jpg

Pineapple Brain Coral

Red%20Planet_zpsfwvw2pnu.jpg

ORA Red Planet (The green is finally coming in!)

SSC2_zpswkrbiclk.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

• Like 8

April 4th, 2016 - Response to Feedback

Crazy healthy!

HarryPotter - Crazy Thanks!

sweet baby jesus.

Dylan.N - Thanks for the kind words.

April 7th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been a few days since I've made an update so here goes. I'm continuing to post top down shots after borrowing a top down porthole from friend.

RR%20Led%20Zeplin_zpsqrbkpw7o.jpg

Reef Raft Led Zepplin - This has been growing for more than year. I'm just now starting to get my first branches off of it! YEAH!

East%20Meets%20West_zpstseufxk3.jpg

East Meets West - Strawberry Field Table and ORA Blue Millie starting to collide. Need to Frag!

PurpleRim%20Green%20Cap_zps2xroa8cz.jpg

Purple Rimmed Green Monti Cap - For any of you that followed my previous 2 builds, this coral dates back to the Nano (almost 9 years ago)

ProCorals%20Rainbow_zpsarsnqfqn.jpg

Pro Corals Rainbow - This may end up being my favorite coral in the near future. I love how this coral is getting the gold highlights starting to show through. I've seen some amazing photos of this coral, I hope that mine will come to match those.

• Like 10

April 12th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been almost a week since I've posted. Here is a quick photo/reef update.

Sunday was one of the my best reefing days ever! We all know how much time and effort goes into our reefs, because of that time and effort I always love to have visitors to view the aquarium. Most of the time, the visitors can't really appreciate what they are looking at. Yesterday was a great exception. I had the honor of being visited by Dr. Sanjay Joshi who is a frequent speaker at MACNA and other reef conferences. Sanjay was in Arizona to speak at Desert Frag Fest. As part of his visit, he toured a couple of the local reefs and mine happened to be one of them. Needless to say, it was a very cool experience for me. Sanjay was immediately drawn to my Pearlberry colony. I was quick to offer him a piece which he accepted. I can think of no better compliment or honor than for Sanjay to want a piece of my coral. Here is a new top down of the Pearl Berry.

Pearl%20Berry%20Forest_zpsdev2ewdt.jpg

Eyelashes_zpsgdbztgj7.jpg

Blueberry Acro - I like to call it eyelashes

Unknown%20Wild%202_zpst2k2uale.jpg

Unknown wild acro. A good friend of mine has a nice WWC piece called WTF Acro, this looks similar but not quite as nice so I've shortened it to WTH Acro. :)

Blue%20Millie_zps3wf1mkd8.jpg

Here is my ORA Blue Millie from the top down. The backdrop is my Chili Pepper Monti, I like the way this came out.

WWC%20Fire%20Breather_zpsellqth22.jpg

WWC Fire Breather Acro - This is starting to get real sweet!

• Like 9

Wow that porthole really did make a difference!
Amazing, amazing pics as always! :wub: The new top down shots are awesome

That's awesome you got to show off your tank to Dr. Sanjay Joshi! I wouldn't even know what to say!

Wow that porthole really did make a difference!

Amazing, amazing pics as always! :wub: The new top down shots are awesome

That's awesome you got to show off your tank to Dr. Sanjay Joshi! I wouldn't even know what to say!

Yoshii - Thanks for the view and comment. Sanjay was very down to earth, just another guy that likes reefs! He did say that he really likes the new LEDs which I was surprised to hear. As a lighting expert, I expected him to lean more towards MH and T5.

• Like 1

This needs to be turned into a book.

Ben - Really appreciate the kind words. I'm thinking about doing a calendar at the end of the year that would have one of my recaps for each month.

Something like this...

MARCH 2016

Project%20365%20Month%203_zpsvgf7bfvb.jp

• Like 3

April 18th, 2016 - Photo Update

It's been about a week since I last updated so I thought it was time to get a few new photos uploaded. Sticking with the top down theme for this month

Fox%20Flame_zpsbfybxxvy.jpg

Jason Fox - Fox Flame - This coral is just starting to take on the Fox Flame colors.

Purple%20Plasma_zpseswdxtol.jpg

ORA Purple Plasma

Ant%20Insignis_zpsyle8zvdt.jpg

ORA Ant Insignis

Strawberry%20Shortcake_zpscc5kdwwp.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

Pearl%20Mint_zpssx3kfcme.jpg

Unknown Wild Acro

Bird%20of%20Paradise_zpsvzpve4lf.jpg

ORA Bird of Paradise

• Like 5

April 23rd, 2016 Photo Update

It's been about 5 days since my last update, here's another photo bomb on the journal. Thanks for looking, feedback is always appreciated, both good and constructive.

Bubble%20King_zps1fckdmho.jpg

A shot of my new Bubble King Supermarin 200. I've had it about a month now. Loving it.

Unknown%20Wild%203_zpssefcf70f.jpg

Unknown Wild Acro

Verde_zpswlqghjny.jpg

ORA Verde

PetsInc_zpshph44xxc.jpg

Pets Inc Acro

Setosa_zpsfwavcstv.jpg

Setosa - If any of you go way back on my old threads, this coral has been with me since the original Nano

• Like 6