Pod Your Reef

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

I dont have my hole plugged and the In-Tank surface skimmer works fine but I had to modify it. If you look at it, there are little indentions across the top where you can cut it to make more water flow over the top. Also plug the sides with tape or all the water goes in the sides and it won't skim.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I plugged the little slit in the wall with epoxy and I think that's where I went wrong... My water surface was clear up to about a week ago. I'm sure if I did a WC for once, I could get it to go away again haha :)

MisturrTinnie
make sure you dont put the surface skimmer too high. u can slide it up and down to find the perfect spot.

Was gonna say the same thing.

Well my surface scum is completely gone now. I cleaned things up a bit! I promise I'll be getting some corals soon. Right now, my nitrates are a little high and I wanna stabilize things before I waste any time and money. Its ridiculous that my tank is nearly 5 months old (September 17) and I have yet to add a single coral or macro... I know. I appreciate everyone's support and interest in my build, even though it isn't as exciting as most of the tanks on Nano-Reef. But I vow to wow! Stay tuned.

love the colors of your two fish together, they seem to be best buds.

Best buds is an understatement! They are rarely more than 6 inches away from one another. I was so worried that Gemma (Blue Damsel) was going to be too aggressive, but she and Piccolo (YCG) get along perfectly. Gemma even allows Piccolo to get some food before she does. It's as if she realizes she's a better swimmer than he. :lol:

God, I love these creatures...

Hi Evan, got back from Colombia, SA and glad to see Piccolo and Gemma are doing so well. Don't feel bad about not adding coral right away. You are doing the responsible thing by caring for the creatures you have and dealing with the issues that crop up. I appreciate that and am willing to wait!

Hi Evan, got back from Colombia, SA and glad to see Piccolo and Gemma are doing so well. Don't feel bad about not adding coral right away. You are doing the responsible thing by caring for the creatures you have and dealing with the issues that crop up. I appreciate that and am willing to wait!

Glad your trip went well and you're back home safe!

I just changed out my media with Chemi-Pure Blue and did a 50% WC yesterday! I'm hoping I get back to a proper WC schedule and I can finally get my nitrates near zero again. I want at least one frag by the end of the month! Thank you.

So, I'm thinking I should update my lighting soon, and definitely before I purchase any frags. I was checking out some Par-38 full spectrum bulbs from Coral Compulsion. $99 doesn't seem too bad...

Thoughts? I know my boy Kijho uses a Par-38 in his Spec V, and his tank and corals are gorgeous...

I have a par 38 in my Evolve. I don't think the company's around anymore but I love it. I loved the colors it gave my rainbow palys, doesn't have the same look in my 34g.

So, I'm thinking I should update my lighting soon, and definitely before I purchase any frags. I was checking out some Par-38 full spectrum bulbs from Coral Compulsion. $99 doesn't seem too bad...

Thoughts? I know my boy Kijho uses a Par-38 in his Spec V, and his tank and corals are gorgeous...

what about cswan's orbit marine LEDs? I like the color of Par38 but like the mount / control with the orbit marine. But I am just basing that on people's photos since I never used either....so i guess my opinion is moot =P.

I have a par 38 in my Evolve. I don't think the company's around anymore but I love it. I loved the colors it gave my rainbow palys, doesn't have the same look in my 34g.

Which company isn't around?

what about cswan's orbit marine LEDs? I like the color of Par38 but like the mount / control with the orbit marine. But I am just basing that on people's photos since I never used either....so i guess my opinion is moot =P.

As far as reefing knowledge goes, lighting is which I know least about... I don't plan on keeping much SPS, if any. I just want something full spectrum and nicer looking than my current lamp, while not breaking the bank. I guess I should do some research!

I'll check out cswan's thread, for sure. My only gripe with Par-38 is that theres no control over which LED's are on/off. I like the look of the actinic/blues only at night...

Ledtric Par38 PLUS with 120 optic- they used to be a sponsor, then they weren't all of a sudden. Then I heard he couldn't get the lamp base as they were repeatedly getting stopped at Canadian customs.

Ledtric Par38 PLUS with 120 optic- they used to be a sponsor, then they weren't all of a sudden. Then I heard he couldn't get the lamp base as they were repeatedly getting stopped at Canadian customs.

:lol:

Currently checking out your Rock Flower Garden!

I want to add another cool invert/something-or-other... I was looking at small Feather Dusters today. They're quite interesting and I think beneficial toward tank filtration, no?

My tank is too small for a nem.

Maybe I'll just get another Peppermint Shrimp, although I think my Emerald ate my last one while it was molting. I really don't have a lot of rock/hiding places. Territory is few and far between, and my Emerald is king of the rock island. :rolleyes:

nah, don't discount them from your thoughts. You can have one. I had one in my Evolve 8 which really only holds 5.5-6 gallons in the actual front tank part. It was white. It turned out to be the mama I now have in my 60g.

Don't they get quite large? And would you be willing to ship one to me? I can't find them anywhere and I've driven hours to various stores...

They eventually get to like 5 inches or so but the one I got has taken from 5/25/2013 to now to get to 3 inches. If you feed it once a week it will grow slow.

nope, but if a sick fish were to fall into it, it would try to close up. But they don't actively look for fish, they don't have tentacles long enough to even do so. What's fun is even w/ cyclopeeze in the water, they will puff up in funny ways by eating that even.

nope, but if a sick fish were to fall into it, it would try to close up. But they don't actively look for fish, they don't have tentacles long enough to even do so. What's fun is even w/ cyclopeeze in the water, they will puff up in funny ways by eating that even.

I'm excited to get one now! Thanks for all the answers. You and Gena seem to know more about these RFA's then the internet does! :P

I originally got the white one from Saltcritters for like $8 on a sale, they have sales all the time. You can't pick it yourself but it was darn cheap and a beauty still.

I originally got the white one from Saltcritters for like $8 on a sale, they have sales all the time. You can't pick it yourself but it was darn cheap and a beauty still.

I'm checking that site now! I might buy something else, too, if I have to pay for the shipping costs for one nem... B)

Archived