Pod Your Reef

ETucc's Fluval Spec V ~ Nano Box!

ETucc

Not really too much to update about... I've been busy hunting for jobs and looking into graduate schools for a master's program!

I haven't done any testing, but my chaeto seems to be growing strong! I have my lights on a 12 hour cycle and it's working somewhat well, although I'd still like to upgrade my my lighting soon once I feel comfortable, financially, to do so. :happy:

Everyone in my tank is alive and well. I haven't done any testing for nitrates or anything, but my tank is definitely healthier since adding chaeto.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just picked up this Peppermint Shrimp! I've named him Pepe'. :P

He's already going to town on some detritus. :wub:

Sorry bro if this has been asked many times ... don't you have an emerald in here, too? Pretty sure you do ... how do you find the emerald acts with the peppermint?

I've got so much aiptasia, I'm losing the battle. I'm contemplating just running out and picking up a $9 peppermint to see if he'll give it a fair fight against the aiptasia. Everything in my tank is considered peaceful (my "snapping" pistol shrimp, included) except for the emerald which is considered semi-temperamental. With that being said however, I've seen my emerald picking algae off of my snails, hermits, and he seems like a peaceful guy. (Maybe too peaceful because he doesn't even go for the bubble algae lol)

FlamingPrawn

So you're considering updating lights? I'm curious to hear what you're thinking about as far as a DIY. I just recently picked up a Fluval Spec V & everyone loves the Marine Orbits. But now I'm considering just using a nano box Tide

Sorry bro if this has been asked many times ... don't you have an emerald in here, too? Pretty sure you do ... how do you find the emerald acts with the peppermint?

I've got so much aiptasia, I'm losing the battle. I'm contemplating just running out and picking up a $9 peppermint to see if he'll give it a fair fight against the aiptasia. Everything in my tank is considered peaceful (my "snapping" pistol shrimp, included) except for the emerald which is considered semi-temperamental. With that being said however, I've seen my emerald picking algae off of my snails, hermits, and he seems like a peaceful guy. (Maybe too peaceful because he doesn't even go for the bubble algae lol)

My emerald and peppermint are next to each other, pretty much at all times, whether on the rock or my ball of chaeto. I wouldn't worry about the two getting along, they should be fine.

I would be more concerned with your pistol and a peppermint getting into it, although I wouldn't worry about that much, either. My peppermint rarely goes into "caves" and is usually out in the open.

I'd say get one! I hear that they go crazy for aiptasia. :)

So you're considering updating lights? I'm curious to hear what you're thinking about as far as a DIY. I just recently picked up a Fluval Spec V & everyone loves the Marine Orbits. But now I'm considering just using a nano box Tide

As far as DIY, I'm not really the type! If you have the money for a nano-box, then I'd say get one. They're the best on the market, ask anyone. Definitely get the $50 Storm Controller upgrade which allows you to dim and program your lights, much more than just an on/off schedule.

If you're not interested in the bells and whistles of a controller, I'd say look into a Par-38 bulb.

Check out Coral Compulsion ;)

Well, I don't know how it happened.... My parameters have been better than they have ever been since setting up my tank, and I've been keeping up with my water changes.

However, I woke up this morning to find out that Piccolo, my YCG, has died. He didn't greet me when I turned on the lights, so I knew something was up... My nassarius snail was making a meal out of him. :(

I've had him since he was a baby, less than 1/2" long. I'm pretty upset about it. Things aren't going so great for me in the real world, and this just adds to it...

R.I.P Piccolo

I think my tank would be better off with the one fish, for now, but I hate seeing it so empty.

I don't want another YCG, as Piccolo is irreplaceable, but I might look into another fish soon enough.

Any ideas? Maybe this is a good time to look into coral instead, but money is still tight.

Well, I don't know how it happened.... My parameters have been better than they have ever been since setting up my tank, and I've been keeping up with my water changes.

However, I woke up this morning to find out that Piccolo, my YCG, has died. He didn't greet me when I turned on the lights, so I knew something was up... My nassarius snail was making a meal out of him. :(

I've had him since he was a baby, less than 1/2" long. I'm pretty upset about it. Things aren't going so great for me in the real world, and this just adds to it...

R.I.P Piccolo

Oh man! :( So sorry to hear dude, saw the thread title and immediately was so sad.

:(

Oh man! :( So sorry to hear dude, saw the thread title and immediately was so sad.

:(

Yeah it definitely sucks. I was sad when my tailspot died, but it didn't get to me like this... Thank you brother.

sorry for the loss. has he been eating lately?

Like a pig... I even started turning the pump off when I fed since he was such a bad swimmer. :lol:

But I didn't feed yesterday at all since I was busy, and I figured my tank could use the rest since I usually feed everyday, in small amounts.

He looked perfectly healthy and fat; not bloated though. I didn't overfeed him.

hmm, what were the parameters of the water when he passed? also, you might want to do a decent water change to help clean out the water from his decomposition.

Oh darn it, I liked your little guy. It's a small tank, I wouldn't feed daily, I feed every couple days in my 8 g as nitrates can get too out of whack for a small tank. Give it some time and just bring your parameters down & maybe get a little coral.

Poor Piccolo... Sorry for your fishy loss, he was a cutie.

Thank you! He was the cutest.

Oh darn it, I liked your little guy. It's a small tank, I wouldn't feed daily, I feed every couple days in my 8 g as nitrates can get too out of whack for a small tank. Give it some time and just bring your parameters down & maybe get a little coral.

Yeah I think I'm better off with the one fish, honestly, at least until I get more live rock in there. I definitley have coral on the brain!

hmm, what were the parameters of the water when he passed? also, you might want to do a decent water change to help clean out the water from his decomposition.

My nitrates were less than 20ppm and no ammonia detected AFTER I found him dead... PH was 8.2 as well. All normal. Like I said before my parameters have been more stable than ever. Two months ago, my nitrates were close to 80ppm due to lack of WC's, and everyone was fine...

He showed no signs of illness or anything. Honestly, I think my nassarius caught him while he was asleep, perhaps. I don't feed that heavy, even though I feed almost daily. Maybe the snail saw a good opportunity.

usually snails or any clean up crew members only go after opportunity when the fish or coral is already on it's way out the door. daily feedings could be causing your phosphates to skyrocket, a lot of foods (especially frozen) carry a ton of po4.

Less than 20 is high, try for like 5, that's what my 3 smallest tanks sit at. I have the watchman goby in my 8, previously before the move I had my tailspot in there and then last few mos a 6-line before they were moved to my 34.

Ah Evan, I am so sorry. From what you said in your posts I wouldn't assume that anything you did or didn't do contributed to his passing. Never forget that our tank creatures are live animals susceptible to all sort of health maladies just like we are. They get cancers and other conditions that we as aquarists can't detect. YCG do not have the longest lifespans to begin with, so don't beat yourself up. I am sorry for your loss though. He was a cutie!

Thank you, everyone, for your concern and support!

I should honestly take this time to become a better reefer and find a healthy balance for my tank. My blue damsel is a grazer and feeds on pods regularly, so I won't have to feed her as often. A large WC is definitely in order this week, and another one a few days after that.

With my nitrates being as high as they are, I'm lucky I've only had one death (from natural causes) these past 6 months! You live and you learn, as they say; and I have much more knowledge to gain before I start buying real money pits, which are corals. :lol:

Thank you, everyone, for your concern and support!

I should honestly take this time to become a better reefer and find a healthy balance for my tank. My blue damsel is a grazer and feeds on pods regularly, so I won't have to feed her as often. A large WC is definitely in order this week, and another one a few days after that.

With my nitrates being as high as they are, I'm lucky I've only had one death (from natural causes) these past 6 months! You live and you learn, as they say; and I have much more knowledge to gain before I start buying real money pits, which are corals. :lol:

Sorry about the fish. I think you could just chill on adding another fish for awhile and get a coral that would allow you to keep a better eye on the tanks parameters such as a piece of sps(cheap piece).

so what's new on the homefront?

Nothing right now brotha. I've been on the job hunt and just struggling to find work with my degree. Times are tough in Jersey...

I haven't smoked in almost 6 weeks, and it's not helping my mood... :closedeyes:

Nothing right now brotha. I've been on the job hunt and just struggling to find work with my degree. Times are tough in Jersey...

I haven't smoked in almost 6 weeks, and it's not helping my mood... :closedeyes:

Congrats though, it takes apparently 66 days to whip a habit. That'll be more money for your tank, and/or rising costs of insurance. Our workplace has you pay more for insurance if you smoke. The employer pays some of the bill but it's like an extra $25 a paycheck or so if you smoke.

all the power to you, smoking is the only thing that is keeping me sane with my work schedule. just keep yourself open for opperunity, it'll be bound to come around eventually. and exactly what 1stimereefer said, it'll just be more money you can throw into the tank at the end of the day.

Hey, way to go Evan! Good for you. My mom said that stopping smoking was the toughest thing she ever did and she was a woman who could do whatever she chose to when she wanted to. So my hat is off to you bro!

Archived