ReefCleaners.org

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. I've somehow lost the small part of my ricordia which ended up splitting / fragging off on it's own.

No idea where it went haha.... :(

Thanks everyone. I've somehow lost the small part of my ricordia which ended up splitting / fragging off on it's own.

No idea where it went haha.... :(

Bummer, :( Did you check your shrimp burrow or under the sand? I often find my shrimp pulling corals in his burrow or just straight up burying them in the sand like my xenia.

Bummer, :( Did you check your shrimp burrow or under the sand? I often find my shrimp pulling corals in his burrow or just straight up burying them in the sand like my xenia.

Found it. It was actually deep in a hole in the back of the rock. Going to have to get it out haha.

My hammer coral looks smaller in month # 3 than it did in month # 2 :(

Comparison pics?

Check out the front page of Month # 2 and Month # 3. I think perhaps it's become too low in the sand and isn't fully extending ??

Also - two of my Acan's haven't opened up yesterday... Gonna do some checks tonight and an emergency WC if I find any issues.

Cameron6796

^^ get some krazy glue (brand name stuff) and glue the bottom skeletons to the rocks it will look nicer without the plug and will puff up more cuz the sand isn't rubbing against it. I'd say you only need to for your euphylia and your ricordia should be fine.if you want to leave your frogspawn where it is find a small rock to put on the sand

Thx guys. Can't really fit the frogspawn or hammer on a rock. They both have pretty big skeletons which are also on plugs and deep in the sand. They're doing well that way, but I don't think there's any place for them on any of my rocks without stinging the crap out of everything else....

Acan on the left in the bottom are on a rock, the colony is literally on the rock.

My ricordia yuma in the sand is also on a rock, I think you can see in some pics. I like to blow the sand around to cover that rock from time to time though so it's just "resting" there.

Late evening of Day 92:

Finally got around to some filming! :) Came out better than I expected. Really happy to have caught my shrimp / goby together peeking out of the burrow. This is probably the first time they did it while I had my camera out in the past 3 months. Glad I caught it!!!

Thinking of getting some more sand for the back - left side as it's been all pushed over on the right where the shrimp's burrow is. Can see the glass from above on the left back side. Also have had a ton of aiptasia pop up this past week :( Have to zap them tomorrow during WC!

~ Cheers

Your frogspawn looks great.

I just added a frogspawn on Friday. Got panicked overnight, so I went by the office today and it is doing great. I don't think I will add frags on Fridays again since I can't check them on the weekends.

I'll post some pics when I go back on Monday.

Things have been off lately. A few of my pink Acan's at the top haven't been fully opening or getting as big as they used to.

My Hammer also looks a bit smaller, but isn't showing any real negative signs. I tried to bring it up a bit more perhaps thinking it needs more room to expand and gave it some more space between the rock.

My Frogspawn on the other hand is just getting massive - it extends nice and long sweepeers. All of my Ricordia's look good too, except my one green ricordia which hasn't seemed to have grown at all. The others seem to be getting slightly bigger as the days go by.

Found about 8 Aiptasia today. Went through them all and hit them all with the syringe of X. Such a tedious task. I usually do it during WC's because the lower water level makes it easier.

Clownfish still aggressive so I trapped the male in a net for a few minutes while I did work. He was pissed!! haha.. poor guy.

The worst part - I've got an outbreak of green bubble algae on the underside of one rock. With all of the frags on the rock I don't want to pull the rock out to do much work to it. If I must do that, I'll most likely be ditching the slanted arch I have and put the rock back in flat on the sand. I've also become somewhat bare bottomed on the left sideof the tank as the shrimp's taken all the sand to the right building up his cave. Glad he's staying in one spot now at-least.

Two Questions I'm hoping for some feedback on:

1. Can I add cured sand to the tank at this point? Would there be any adverse affects? It says it doesn't need to be rinsed on the bags at the LFS. I only need a bit to fill up the left side. I might place my frogspawn in the back left but with the added sand it would be an elevated area.

1. Emerald crab. Thought about this before, but have read that the shrimp might not get along too well with him. I'd be willing to take the risk but my concern would moreso be the shrimp dieng. I don't want the $10 emerald winning in a battle against my most beloved livestock which I've had the longest. Also concerns with it eating corals ? There's lots of green stuff in my tank for him to eat though and it should last pretty long ...

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know :)

I would just add the cheapest sand you can you can find. Cured or uncured doesn't make a difference.

I had green bubble algae once and got an emerald crab and it did nothing. Don't bother.

Maybe I should just pull that entire rock out and pluck all the bubble's off the bottom - at the same time remove all the Ricordia's and glue them down for GOOD permanently.. might be a fun idea :D

Archived