Jump to content
Mirya

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, BulkRate said:

But that one ~5" hole has caused ME plenty of stress in how much stuff simply hides there perpetually.

It must be pretty scary in your tank. :scarry:  :lol:

 

Do you think it's possible that they are just looking for a solid footing (that's algae free)?  IDK, I'm just kind of wondering why they would do that.

Share this post


Link to post

Some RFA just go and hide in holes for no reason.

I have had two do the walk and hide thing with one coming back out after about two months of hiding and it was half the size and the color was gone the other never came out and just dissolved into nothing 😥   

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/10/2018 at 3:30 PM, BulkRate said:

 

In my next tank, I'm going to make a concerted effort to avoid making any cave deep enough to allow an RFA to starve itself.

 

Do you consider a flower pot a “cave”? Haha! Otherwise, as you know, I tried to keep my latest tank RFA breeding friendly! Luckily none have wandered into the flower pot yet. But if they do it should be easy to get them out.

 

 

 

Do you have any new babies yet?

 

I’ve found 4 new ones recently (last spawn was on May 6). Hoping more show up in the next week or so. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Be VERY CAREFUL this club can become An Addiction super fast

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

can't wait until this weekend going to do my first fix I live about 80 miles from the LFS that stocks them 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gunbeaux said:

I live about 80 miles from the LFS that stocks them

Wow, that's quite a drive.  I hope you have other things that you plan to pickup.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ReefFish said:

Be VERY CAREFUL this club can become An Addiction super fast

I’m already hooked! I started with maxi minis which I still really like. One side of my tank is maxi’s the other side is going. To be for RFA’s. Now I jut need about 5-10 more or so and then I will need a bigger tank lol 😂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Went snorkeling in Marathon today and got to check out rfa’s in their natural habitat. Extremely shallow water only 2-3 feet deep. None  very bright or fluorescent. Mostly browns and whites and a few greens. Sizes ranging from babies of about 1/4” all the the way to about 6” diameter. I’m coming home with roughly 12 of varying size and color.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Wow 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, alexversa said:

Went snorkeling in Marathon today and got to check out rfa’s in their natural habitat.

Wow!  Incredible to see them in the wild.  Thanks for sharing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, alexversa said:

Went snorkeling in Marathon today and got to check out rfa’s in their natural habitat. Extremely shallow water only 2-3 feet deep. None  very bright or fluorescent. Mostly browns and whites and a few greens. Sizes ranging from babies of about 1/4” all the the way to about 6” diameter. I’m coming home with roughly 12 of varying size and color.

 

 

OMG!! That is so awesome omgomgomg

Share this post


Link to post

Love these guys. This is my first one. Got it a couple months ago and its been doing great. Getting another soon

20180712_134837.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, alexversa said:

Went snorkeling in Marathon today and got to check out rfa’s in their natural habitat. Extremely shallow water only 2-3 feet deep. None  very bright or fluorescent. Mostly browns and whites and a few greens. Sizes ranging from babies of about 1/4” all the the way to about 6” diameter. I’m coming home with roughly 12 of varying size and color.

 

 

@alexversa could you take some pictures of the RFA's you got from your Marathon trip 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/16/2018 at 1:16 PM, ReefFish said:

@alexversa could you take some pictures of the RFA's you got from your Marathon trip 

Sure, although they aren’t very colorful they are still neat. There are 1000’s of them out there but most are near impossible to harvest due to the fact that they bury their foot very deep into the rock work. They can be found all over the bottom of shallow water areas but when you try to grab them they shrink back into the rock and disappear. 

8B2529D3-8F14-4FE8-8AE1-C55C02CB607D.thumb.jpeg.bf8b97e3c6aa984759f45abfc2c6929e.jpegBA72B8BA-CD6D-40F7-8914-47A7AABAAD3F.thumb.jpeg.bbc923d25a16f9aa53d9e0485307e475.jpeg

I came back with 4 of this coloration. Not fluorescent at all but at least they’ve got some cool striping. 

 

CD0C700C-37B8-48EA-A466-F54362C8D44E.thumb.jpeg.da6530ebb62c53e07a806ef18594d379.jpeg8C814249-4A5F-4571-8C53-4CFBAE183F18.thumb.jpeg.c02508e70ee9bc0ee8f16889a0c038a4.jpegF35093FC-7F19-4923-AA2E-39A45F7ACA05.thumb.jpeg.68fd09f7450df23e0a477dc46a2052af.jpeg73893BD8-B721-4F22-B2B5-A2D9CE796044.thumb.jpeg.deadd1f38e7cddfc83896511786aa534.jpeg

lots of greens out there. Most are either white center or dull green center. 

6EAF7836-BDC8-4F71-BCAB-F3CD386AD435.thumb.jpeg.f2a30ecbe2a8392152bb3228fed2117a.jpeg

this ones kinda neat, white/brown tentacles and zebra striped center. Again not fluorescent.

6D356E64-96E9-4236-8528-80EFA1E9C23D.thumb.jpeg.76795a20d1481a58793e95791c4096d5.jpegThis green/white one is by far the nicest one I collected. It’s basically the same pattern as the white/brown zebra the brown has been substituted with green. It has a bright green mouth as well. Unfortunately it’s not in a great spot for photos at the moment. There are a pretty decent amount of this coloration as well but again unless they’re conveniently located in sponge or a loose rock you’ll have a hard time removing them. 

 

I did not see any that looked to be red. 

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, alexversa said:

Sure, although they aren’t very colorful they are still neat. There are 1000’s of them out there but most are near impossible to harvest due to the fact that they bury their foot very deep into the rock work. They can be found all over the bottom of shallow water areas but when you try to grab them they shrink back into the rock and disappear. 

8B2529D3-8F14-4FE8-8AE1-C55C02CB607D.thumb.jpeg.bf8b97e3c6aa984759f45abfc2c6929e.jpegBA72B8BA-CD6D-40F7-8914-47A7AABAAD3F.thumb.jpeg.bbc923d25a16f9aa53d9e0485307e475.jpeg

I came back with 4 of this coloration. Not fluorescent at all but at least they’ve got some cool striping. 

 

CD0C700C-37B8-48EA-A466-F54362C8D44E.thumb.jpeg.da6530ebb62c53e07a806ef18594d379.jpeg8C814249-4A5F-4571-8C53-4CFBAE183F18.thumb.jpeg.c02508e70ee9bc0ee8f16889a0c038a4.jpegF35093FC-7F19-4923-AA2E-39A45F7ACA05.thumb.jpeg.68fd09f7450df23e0a477dc46a2052af.jpeg73893BD8-B721-4F22-B2B5-A2D9CE796044.thumb.jpeg.deadd1f38e7cddfc83896511786aa534.jpeg

lots of greens out there. Most are either white center or dull green center. 

6EAF7836-BDC8-4F71-BCAB-F3CD386AD435.thumb.jpeg.f2a30ecbe2a8392152bb3228fed2117a.jpeg

this ones kinda neat, white/brown tentacles and zebra striped center. Again not fluorescent.

6D356E64-96E9-4236-8528-80EFA1E9C23D.thumb.jpeg.76795a20d1481a58793e95791c4096d5.jpegThis green/white one is by far the nicest one I collected. It’s basically the same pattern as the white/brown zebra the brown has been substituted with green. It has a bright green mouth as well. Unfortunately it’s not in a great spot for photos at the moment. There are a pretty decent amount of this coloration as well but again unless they’re conveniently located in sponge or a loose rock you’ll have a hard time removing them. 

 

I did not see any that looked to be red. 

That is just amazing :coolguy:. So one of my more expensive nems moves so this morning I noticed he wasn't in the normal spot and when I found him he had moved half way up the side of the tank. Just chillin I need to see if he is still there when I get home lol. Its actually the one in my profile pic lol.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That is just amazing :coolguy:. So one of my more expensive nems moves so this morning I noticed he wasn't in the normal spot and when I found him he had moved half way up the side of the tank. Just chillin I need to see if he is still there when I get home lol. Its actually the one in my profile pic lol.

I have 1 RFA out of 35 that has been in a different spot every morning and night for the past month it has run circles around my tank and all the others have never moved

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, ReefFish said:

I have 1 RFA out of 35 that has been in a different spot every morning and night for the past month it has run circles around my tank and all the others have never moved

It makes me crazy because I always think there is something wrong with my tank. I look at everything else and all is good so I just chalk it up to it being a moody bitch lol. I'm really curious to see where its at when I get out of work :smilie:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It makes me crazy because I always think there is something wrong with my tank. I look at everything else and all is good so I just chalk it up to it being a moody bitch lol. I'm really curious to see where its at when I get out of work :smilie:

I nicknamed that one RFA Forrest Gump for running all around the tank for no good reason 😉 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, ReefFish said:

I nicknamed that one RFA Forrest Gump for running all around the tank for no good reason 😉 

So my RFA is still up halfway on the tank. Of Course he wouldn't be on the backside so I can see his beautiful face lol. He's on the front right corner of the tank 😤

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So my RFA is still up halfway on the tank. Of Course he wouldn't be on the backside so I can see his beautiful face lol. He's on the front right corner of the tank 😤

Mine was in the back of a rock for about a week then under a rock ledge for a few days now it's in the sand in the front of the tank for the first time

 

888047053_0717182003_HDR2.thumb.jpg.49e065ef7e5f92b575428bd183608087.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Shared this on IG but thought I’d put it here too.  I really need to get my new tank thread started. 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×