Pod Your Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

15 hours ago, coral reefer tx said:

Thanks.  Guess I don’t so much care whether or not the crab hosts the RFA — just trying to be safe about not adding an invert harasses them too much.    Porcelain crabs are my favorite invert, so hosting would be great, but I’ll settle for just having them get along.  

41868848260_5e0b9b58db_b.jpg

His current fav RFA. Sits there all day long trying to catch stuff floating by. 

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

41868848260_5e0b9b58db_b.jpg

His current fav RFA. Sits there all day long trying to catch stuff floating by. 

Mine spends his time on one of my acans lol. He was on my cabbage leather for a few weeks then got bored and moved on :smilie:

• Like 2
ChristopherDido

So been a bit since I posted on this site, been very busy lately, I'll try to post an update to my journal later today, but in the past two weeks found pretty decent deals on RFAs around me and picked up these two for my 20g. Enjoy! 

IMG_20180727_203937-01.jpeg

• Like 5

I have a question this morning 1 of my RFA has decided to start to move and it is moving onto a rock that has  a Duncan on it . Can the RFA kill the Duncan or the other way around ? 

Not sure what’s going on with this one. It’s been all cupped like this for the last 2 hours. It’s like the shape they make when they spawn but it’s not time for that. 

None of the others are doing it. 

Such strange behavior. 

28808519987_bac7be99e9_b.jpg43697788511_0def02b1b3_b.jpg

4 hours ago, tofer said:

I have a question this morning 1 of my RFA has decided to start to move and it is moving onto a rock that has  a Duncan on it . Can the RFA kill the Duncan or the other way around ? 

One of mine tangled with with a ricordea recently. Neither died but both were in pretty sad shape for over a week. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Not sure what’s going on with this one. It’s been all cupped like this for the last 2 hours. It’s like the shape they make when they spawn but it’s not time for that. 

None of the others are doing it. 

Such strange behavior. 

28808519987_bac7be99e9_b.jpg43697788511_0def02b1b3_b.jpg

Well just as I post this it starts spawning....so what do I know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
45 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Well just as I post this it starts spawning....so what do I know. 

That's cool so now I know what to look for if they are gonna spawn

12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's cool so now I know what to look for if they are gonna spawn

Here it is right after it started. Time to grab the turkey baster and start spreading the love! 

43698688381_9c1041b5d5_b.jpg

And he started a chain reaction. One in the bank of the tank is getting in on the action now.

Tank is getting cloudy. 

42982784744_3c97851c1b_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, SeaFurn said:

Here it is right after it started. Time to grab the turkey baster and start spreading the love! 

43698688381_9c1041b5d5_b.jpg

And he started a chain reaction. One in the bank of the tank is getting in on the action now.

Tank is getting cloudy. 

42982784744_3c97851c1b_b.jpg

Wow...do you have to turkey bast or will it just spread throughout the tank and fertize that way?

Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Wow...do you have to turkey bast or will it just spread throughout the tank and fertize that way?

It will spread throughout the tank. I usually turn off the return pump and just leave the flow pump running. 

But I do use the turkey baster with the females that look receptive. They get in a cup shape too and will sometimes use their tentacles to aid in the fertilization. 

And then there are some of them that seem to be mature enough but they aren’t responsive at all. Can’t figure that out unless they just aren’t mature. 

Sucking up the semen:

42982907114_f5174cc787_b.jpg

Females:

28809607687_7ab9df5ae1_b.jpg28809620477_94a9d42e36_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
23 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

It will spread throughout the tank. I usually turn off the return pump and just leave the flow pump running. 

But I do use the turkey baster with the females that look receptive. They get in a cup shape too and will sometimes use their tentacles to aid in the fertilization. 

And then there are some of them that seem to be mature enough but they aren’t responsive at all. Can’t figure that out unless they just aren’t mature. 

Sucking up the semen:

Females:

That's cool 🙂 I only have three and don't know if they are males or females. My luck they'd be all males or all females

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Sucking up the semen:

Females:

Thats awesome, ive had a few babies but never witnessed a spawning before, thsnks for sharing.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2018 at 10:02 AM, SeaFurn said:

Yes, they do.

My porcelain crab sits in his RFA all the time....and occasionally he chooses another. He’s been all over the tank in various nems with no problems. 

I usually will feed the crab first so he doesn’t harass the nem trying to steal its food. 

First time Ive heard of porcelain crabs, might have to grab some...

• Like 2

0728181848a.thumb.jpg.40691ecbaa029d6224cdb2b443f59e77.jpg

Added yet another RFA over the weekend but I never can get a good picture of the red ones it always looks washed out but the red and neon green mouth are super bright on this one

3 hours ago, ReefFish said:

0728181848a.thumb.jpg.40691ecbaa029d6224cdb2b443f59e77.jpg

Added yet another RFA over the weekend but I never can get a good picture of the red ones it always looks washed out but the red and neon green mouth are super bright on this one

Does it look like this?

photostudio_1533067292573.jpg

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

Does it look like this?

photostudio_1533067292573.jpg

That's almost exactly how it looks in person but the mouth is a little brighter and the skirt is how the color is in the bottom of the picture.

Nicely done ngvu1 I've never gotten into editing photos thanks

5 hours ago, ReefFish said:

That's almost exactly how it looks in person but the mouth is a little brighter and the skirt is how the color is in the bottom of the picture.

Nicely done ngvu1 I've never gotten into editing photos thanks

photostudio_1533087606443.jpg

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

The colors aren’t as bright as we see in our tanks, but while snorkeling, I saw a couple of these in San Juan, Puerto Rico 🙂

I wonder how it looks under the blue LED :-);  Our rocknems if you notice don't look as nice under the sun light either.

If you only have your white lights on all colors are pretty much washed-out except for the brown, white, green, and some purple/red and they all look super dull that's why the RFA's became so popular after LED came out and you could ramp up the blue and make the neon colors come out and glow  

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, ngvu1 said:

I wonder how it looks under the blue LED :-);  Our rocknems if you notice don't look as nice under the sun light either.

I bet it would have had some nice reds in it 🙂 Would love to get an underwater filter for my camera to really get the colors to pop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1