ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

54 minutes ago, seabass said:

I suppose, if flow is low enough, that they can remain by the mother.  However, it's been my experience that the babies can get carried by the current, and might end up almost anywhere.  Above is a video of a mother giving birth.

That's an awesome video. I've watched it several times before and It's what I'm using as my reference to spot it happening in my tank. I"m surprised that the babies are so round.

I know they get can carried away pretty easily in the flow. I'm just trying to use any observation i can to try and figure out which ones are females.  I wish there was an easy way.

I agree.  Especially if we ever wanted to breed specific traits.  Of course, we are assuming that RFAs are born a certain sex and stay that sex.  TBH, I've not sure if that's the case or not.  Has anybody ever read a study confirming or denying this?

1 hour ago, seabass said:

I agree.  Especially if we ever wanted to breed specific traits.  Of course, we are assuming that RFAs are born a certain sex and stay that sex.  TBH, I've not sure if that's the case or not.  Has anybody ever read a study confirming or denying this?

I’ve not found anything on the subject. But, I’ve often wondered this myself. You’d think that given their dispersion in the ocean they’d need to be able to change to increase their chances of long term survival as a species. The randomness of males and females in that environment just doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

I’ve got a green one that has spawned once and then during another occurrences hasn’t joined in but rather was using its tentacles like I mentioned above-possibly grabbing at the sperm. That’s has had me wondering if they could possibly change sexes. 

Some sea anemones (like some fish) are known to be sequential hermaphrodites.  Who knows, they might change from male to female, female to male, or even to hermaphrodites.  This would be good to know; because as our broodstock ages, we could possibly end up with a tank of anemones that are all the same sex. :sad:

• Like 1

My RFA moved yesterday to the corner of my tank after being in the same place for over a year.  Then she started dropping babies like crazy. Motherly instincts at work. Well see if any of them find a save place to stick. The current in my tank is strong so I doubt it. Well see where she is when I get home today. 

Picture from a few weeks ago

2018-08-22_12-44-03

Picture from last night 

2018-08-22_12-43-12

• Like 4
  • Wow 4

Rearranged my tank and added about an inch of arag alive hawaiian black substrate to give the RFAs a better spot, all but the white one in the front center seems happy, it keeps moving around... 

20180822_173606.jpg

20180822_173558.jpg

20180822_173617.jpg

• Like 1
On 8/22/2018 at 12:50 PM, MockandRoll said:

My RFA moved yesterday to the corner of my tank after being in the same place for over a year.  Then she started dropping babies like crazy. Motherly instincts at work. Well see if any of them find a save place to stick. The current in my tank is strong so I doubt it. Well see where she is when I get home today. 

Picture from a few weeks ago

2018-08-22_12-44-03

Picture from last night 

2018-08-22_12-43-12

Wanted to update that to my surprise I am finding babies stuck all over my rock. I am estimated there are between 10-20 that have survive so far. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, MockandRoll said:

Wanted to update that to my surprise I am finding babies stuck all over my rock.

I can just see it now...

rfas.jpg

• Haha 2

I hear peppermint shrimp might help get rid of them.  Or maybe just inject them with Kalkwasser.  :unsure:

I'm kidding of course; but isn't it funny that how we treat "pests" would be considered unacceptable treatment of more "valued" animals.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 hours ago, seabass said:

I hear peppermint shrimp might help get rid of them.  Or maybe just inject them with Kalkwasser.  :unsure:

I'm kidding of course; but isn't it funny that how we treat "pests" would be considered unacceptable treatment of more "valued" animals.

I know people wanna get rid of them but why? Are they really that bad to have? Lol sorry for the newbie questions but I've only been in the game for 5 months.

1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I know people wanna get rid of them but why? Are they really that bad to have? Lol sorry for the newbie questions but I've only been in the game for 5 months.

I assume you are referring to aiptasia.  It's not attractive, it reproduces quickly, they move, and they irritate corals.

• Like 2
ChristopherDido
10 hours ago, Got Corals said:

Hello everyone,

Recently,  I put all our rock flower care tips into a blog. I would love for you guys to check it out and give us your feedback. :naughtydance:

here is the link... https://www.gotcorals.com/blog :haha:

Thank you all!!!

Hey just reading this, I'm not as experienced as some of these fine folks here, but I did see one thing that might help others. In my experience, with 10 RFAs now, if you want them to attach to a specific spot in tank and not roam around. I've found that gently holding them in place for 15-30 seconds in that spot with flow off will help them "grab" on to a surface. Then 10-15 minutes after that turn back on pumps. I'm referring to step 4a.  Just my two cents, anyone else want to chime in? Otherwise sounds great to me! Hopefully soon I can order some from y'all!Screenshot_20180828-194905.thumb.png.a3f2e6d276151b3d71b8784d891a1a73.png

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

Hey just reading this, I'm not as experienced as some of these fine folks here, but I did see one thing that might help others. In my experience, with 10 RFAs now, if you want them to attach to a specific spot in tank and not roam around. I've found that gently holding them in place for 15-30 seconds in that spot with flow off will help them "grab" on to a surface. Then 10-15 minutes after that turn back on pumps. I'm referring to step 4a.  Just my two cents, anyone else want to chime in? Otherwise sounds great to me! Hopefully soon I can order some from y'all!Screenshot_20180828-194905.thumb.png.a3f2e6d276151b3d71b8784d891a1a73.png

Thank you Christopher, that is great advice. I will definitely add that. 🙂

33 minutes ago, ChristopherDido said:

That’s interesting.

I use a credit card and clear away a small spot of sand off the bottom (down to the glass) right next to a rock and they attach every time. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, seabass said:

I assume you are referring to aiptasia.  It's not attractive, it reproduces quickly, they move, and they irritate corals.

So far I had one and took the rock it was on out. It was on a piece of rubble I got with my first coral and so I took the coral off and chucked the rock. Haven't seen another one since. I never new they moved around too. I just thought they stayed in one spot so thanks for the info on that. Do they have a potent sting?

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

That’s interesting.

I use a credit card and clear away a small spot of sand off the bottom (down to the glass) right next to a rock and they attach every time. 

Wow that's a really good idea I never thought to do that with them. My next nem purchase and I'm going to try that.

• Like 1

I may have missed this in the 100 pages.  Are rock flowers generally safe around clowns if the clowns try to host them?  I have a pretty small clown...

1 minute ago, seabass said:

I've never had a RFA host a clownfish (and I've kept them together for almost 10 years).

Cool, that seems to be a common statement/occurance from what I can Google.

• Like 1