Coral Vue Hydros

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marc,

Sorry to see that you have to down size again. It looked as if your tank was making good progress too.

It must be that time of year again as I am finding that a lot of local reefers are either downsizing as well or just getting out of the hobby all together.

Rob

I'd be interested in the clam if you're not going to keep it.

Now that I have had time to think about it, a maxima in a 10 gallon isn't a long term proposition and probably will need dosing so I don't think I'll be keeping it. Feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss.

Hi Marc,

Sorry to see that you have to down size again. It looked as if your tank was making good progress too.

It must be that time of year again as I am finding that a lot of local reefers are either downsizing as well or just getting out of the hobby all together.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I was going to get out but my son is very attached to his Firefish. I've had varying travel over the years and tried different tanks and livestock with varying degrees of success. I'm sure a 10 gallon with low bio load and only soft coral should be doable!

Let me know if you're looking for livestock or equipment. I'll be posting some stuff on NR and also on MR.

Talk about instant gratification - I ordered the tank late yesterday afternoon and it's being delivered today. MD and BRS were out of stock but Aquacave had some and free shipping if you spend $75 and there was a 5% coupon. Hard to beat that!

I also had some email exchanges with Dave and ordered a Tide. I don't mind waiting a little while for a bespoke light!

You will definitely like the Fusion 10, I am definitely happy with my downgrade!

Cool! I find rockscaping a cube is difficult. I'm thinking I might do one large rock with maybe a few bits chipped out and/or added on and an island for some GSP so it doesn't run rampant.

Do you have a tank thread - I'm on my phone and couldn't see a link?

I completely understand the travel for work. I have been doing my fair share as well. I have also had a few set backs as too. First was having to deal with monti eat nudis and the latest was dinos, Keeping my fingers crossed I thing I am on my way back to recovery. I have been free of both for 8 and 3 months respectively.

I am always keeping my eyes open for both. Just let me know what you may be parting with. dosing eqip., controlers, and live stock at at the top of the want list.

Regards,

Rob

Bella's Reef

Yep - tank is a bit of a cluster f right now but hope to clear the sand bed and re-organize it tonight if not this weekend.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/358857-the-kirts-small-piece-of-the-ocean-im-fusion-10/

Cool! I find rockscaping a cube is difficult. I'm thinking I might do one large rock with maybe a few bits chipped out and/or added on and an island for some GSP so it doesn't run rampant.

Do you have a tank thread - I'm on my phone and couldn't see a link?

I completely understand the travel for work. I have been doing my fair share as well. I have also had a few set backs as too. First was having to deal with monti eat nudis and the latest was dinos, Keeping my fingers crossed I thing I am on my way back to recovery. I have been free of both for 8 and 3 months respectively.

I am always keeping my eyes open for both. Just let me know what you may be parting with. dosing eqip., controlers, and live stock at at the top of the want list.

Regards,

Rob

Cool that you managed to beat the nudis and dinos. I'll PM you about the livestock and equipment that I won't be needing. Kat has dibs on the clam.

Yep - tank is a bit of a cluster f right now but hope to clear the sand bed and re-organize it tonight if not this weekend.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/358857-the-kirts-small-piece-of-the-ocean-im-fusion-10/

I think it looks great. The sand bed could do with a tidy up but that's not a big deal!

• 2 months later...

I also have the Cadlights 34g setup and was trying to decide which skimmer to use. I ran across your thread when researching the Aquamaxx and wondered how you were able to adjust your water level in the sump area of the tank. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the baffles on mine, but it seems that I would have to overflow all baffles to get the specter level up to the minimum water height required by most of these nano skimmers.

Assuming I can figure this out, I'd be interested in your Aquamaxx Skimmer if you are selling that?

I also have the Cadlights 34g setup and was trying to decide which skimmer to use. I ran across your thread when researching the Aquamaxx and wondered how you were able to adjust your water level in the sump area of the tank. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the baffles on mine, but it seems that I would have to overflow all baffles to get the specter level up to the minimum water height required by most of these nano skimmers.

Assuming I can figure this out, I'd be interested in your Aquamaxx Skimmer if you are selling that?

Hi. I sold the skimmer but thanks for the interest.

Regarding water level, the Aquamaxx requires 8-10" water depth which didn't require overfilling.

LMK if you have other questions.

Now that I have had time to think about it, a maxima in a 10 gallon isn't a long term proposition and probably will need dosing so I don't think I'll be keeping it. Feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss.

Missed this post - still have the clam?

Middle chamber. It has the most consistent water level.

Hmmm... either I am missing something or I have a defective tank. There are 2 baffles between the Left and middle compartment but both do not continue to the bottom of the sump there is roughly 1.5" of space for water to pass below baffles. Then there is 1 more baffle before the return chamber. It goes to the bottom but it is only 4" high. Since water can flow through the bottom of the baffles everything runs at the same water height across all chambers. I will talk to CAD Lights on monday when they are open.

Hmmm... either I am missing something or I have a defective tank. There are 2 baffles between the Left and middle compartment but both do not continue to the bottom of the sump there is roughly 1.5" of space for water to pass below baffles. Then there is 1 more baffle before the return chamber. It goes to the bottom but it is only 4" high. Since water can flow through the bottom of the baffles everything runs at the same water height across all chambers. I will talk to CAD Lights on monday when they are open.

post a picture

Missed this post - still have the clam?

Sorry - I sold it locally.

In most tanks that would be a bubble trap but from memory (which isn't necessarily reliable) in this tank it was somewhere to hang the CADlights skimmer. I do remember it seemed goofy and that the final baffle was too short.

Sorry - I sold it locally.

In most tanks that would be a bubble trap but from memory (which isn't necessarily reliable) in this tank it was somewhere to hang the CADlights skimmer. I do remember it seemed goofy and that the final baffle was too short.

Sorry for being dumb, just trying to figure this out... So how were you able to adjust the water level up to 9" if the water would just flow over the the baffle to the return. Just ignore it?

post a picture

Can't capture it in a photo because it is blacked out on back. Let me try to sketch it to scale and upload that.

Sorry for being dumb, just trying to figure this out... So how were you able to adjust the water level up to 9" if the water would just flow over the the baffle to the return. Just ignore it?

Can't capture it in a photo because it is blacked out on back. Let me try to sketch it to scale and upload that.

It's ok - it isn't dumb. I do recall the chambers weren't how I would have designed them.

The more I think about it, I think I just filled it to the required depth for the skimmer and didn't worry about the baffles. While it would mean the ATO isn't as sensitive, it still worked ok.

cchsoracle has the same tank and skimmer. You could try stopping by his thread or dropping him a PM as his tank is still up.

OK, Here is a sketch. It is done from memory since I am at the office, but gives you the basic idea.

34g baffles

OK, Here is a sketch. It is done from memory since I am at the office, but gives you the basic idea.

So here is my take on the design of the rear chambers. The first baffle from the left is meant as a bubble trap. The second was only meant to hang the PLS-50 skimmer on. Other than that, it is pointless for it to even be there. The 3rd, short baffle is where you should set your water height. Your ATO should without a doubt be in the last chamber with your return pump. As long as your water height is at the height of the last baffle, the water will only drop due to evap in the last chamber. This will allow you to keep a nice constant water height in the middle section, so that a skimmer will work at its best.

Now, with that said, if you want a higher water height than 4", say for a skimmer other than the PLS-50, what you have to do is increase the height of that last baffle. Like you said, the ideal water height for the WS-1 is around 8" or so. What I did, was take 3 pieces of acrylic cut to the same width of the rear chambers and sandwich them together with the middle piece higher than the other 2. The height of the middle piece will determine the amount you are increasing the height of the baffle, so I cut mine to 4". I simply glued these 3 pieces of acrylic together with super glue(not usually ideal, but for this application it works fine) Then, this new "Baffle extender" just sits down on top of the existing baffle.

22117445279_e409fc010d_b.jpggallery_89443_8_187353 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Also, check out the review I wrote for Marine Depot on the Aquamaxx WS-1. It is by far the best skimmer out there for the CAD34G Mini.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/362312-review-aquamaxx-ws-1-protein-skimmer/

So here is my take on the design of the rear chambers. The first baffle from the left is meant as a bubble trap. The second was only meant to hang the PLS-50 skimmer on. Other than that, it is pointless for it to even be there. The 3rd, short baffle is where you should set your water height. Your ATO should without a doubt be in the last chamber with your return pump. As long as your water height is at the height of the last baffle, the water will only drop due to evap in the last chamber. This will allow you to keep a nice constant water height in the middle section, so that a skimmer will work at its best.

Now, with that said, if you want a higher water height than 4", say for a skimmer other than the PLS-50, what you have to do is increase the height of that last baffle. Like you said, the ideal water height for the WS-1 is around 8" or so. What I did, was take 3 pieces of acrylic cut to the same width of the rear chambers and sandwich them together with the middle piece higher than the other 2. The height of the middle piece will determine the amount you are increasing the height of the baffle, so I cut mine to 4". I simply glued these 3 pieces of acrylic together with super glue(not usually ideal, but for this application it works fine) Then, this new "Baffle extender" just sits down on top of the existing baffle.

Also, check out the review I wrote for Marine Depot on the Aquamaxx WS-1. It is by far the best skimmer out there for the CAD34G Mini.

So simple yet genius! Thank you so much. I will be building my own baffle extender this weekend!

What would happen if you raised the water level but didn't increase the height of the last baffle? This is what I have done but must admit I don't understand the effects of baffle placement.

Archived