Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

LOL Thats awesome. Some ironic similarities between our tanks. If you end up deciding to get someone else to make you the mag rock, I could not be happier with The Alternative Reef. He worked with me to make that one custom, and it still only costs me $100 or so after shipping costs.

Thanks - that's good to know!

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here he is last night in the QT. He ate some BBS but didn't show any interest in pellets. Shortly after this photo he moved and is hanging out by the intake tube to the hang on filter. Looks ok this morning and was eating more BBS. I will have to see what else I can get him to eat.

IMG_0316_zps4fe2a848.jpg

Here it is in natural daylight before the Radion came on (still a phone camera photo though!):

IMG_0309_zps95752a6f.jpg

Gorgeous colors!!

Such a cute little guy! Sorry if I missed it but that is a filefish right, or a baby puffer?

He's an ORA White Spotted Pygmy Filefish. He's just hanging out in the corner of the QT eating the BBS. He didn't show any interest in pellets but he does seem to have a small mouth. I think I'll have to try crushing the pellets or getting some flake food to try.

Here he is last night in the QT. He ate some BBS but didn't show any interest in pellets. Shortly after this photo he moved and is hanging out by the intake tube to the hang on filter. Looks ok this morning and was eating more BBS. I will have to see what else I can get him to eat.

IMG_0316_zps4fe2a848.jpg

This guy is adorable! I love his tail. I'm glad the shipping delay didn't seem to have a huge impact.

Gorgeous colors!!

Thanks! I'm really pleased with it. It looked good on the Happy Coral site but even better in my tank; always nice when that happens! I've had experiences with other vendors where the opposite it the case and that's very disappointing.

Now I'm dosing Kalkwasser in my ATO, I hope to keep things stable enough, even when I'm traveling, that it will do well in the tank. I'm also keeping an eye out for Pyramidal snails but haven't seen any in the last few months - I'm hoping they all died off with no host. I made sure to inspect this clam under magnification and scrub the shell with a new toothbrush to remove anything vaguely undesirable!

This guy is adorable! I love his tail. I'm glad the shipping delay didn't seem to have a huge impact.

He is! He can open and close his tail like a fan. His dorsal and anal find are almost transparent and they oscillate in a really cool way.

Cool little fish.

I have a coral from Happy Coral ... a bright orange digitata. They came down to a frag swap 2 years ago with a nice selection of tiny frags. I could not remember their name until you mentioned it. :)

Cool little fish.

I have a coral from Happy Coral ... a bright orange digitata. They came down to a frag swap 2 years ago with a nice selection of tiny frags. I could not remember their name until you mentioned it. :)

They often have slightly different stock to some of the other vendors. If you're close, the livestock shipping is $20 which helps and they have a frequent shopper points system.

IMG_0316_zps4fe2a848.jpg

He's very cute. Do these guys eat aiptasia like their cousins?

He's very cute. Do these guys eat aiptasia like their cousins?

I have read mixed things about that. Apparently some do and some don't! I am currently without any aiptasia so I won't be able to further the discussion. Apparently, some will also eat flatworms and I do have some of the benign variety and will post details once he's in the display tank.

I have been feeding the Filefish newly hatched BBS and he is certainly interested in them. I tried a few small pellets the other day and he ignored them. Today I crushed a few pellets and he picked a some pieces that were moving around in the water column and also some from the surface. He only eats the small particles and ignores the larger ones.

I checked out the chaeto and found it had tripled in size. Some areas at the bottom were breaking down, presumably from too little light reaching them. I broke it in half and after picking out the dying patches put half back in the main tank and the other half in the QT.

The orange Yuma that I bought from Lalani arrived in good shape and is now in the DT. Nice corals and simple and fast transaction. Highly recommended. I'll post a photo when it is all settled in.

I also bought some phyto and pods from gulfsurfer101 but USPS 2 day Priority is late once more. Hopefully tomorrow. Temps have been moderate so all should be ok.

• 3 weeks later...

I transferred the Filefish to the display tank a week ago. I was concerned about the flow from the 2 MP10s so I started off with them off and just the return pump on. He was doing ok so I put the MP10s on lowest setting for a bit and then the second lowest setting.

He moves around the whole tank picking at copepods and flatworms. There are a lot fewer pods on the glass since he went in there. He'll also eat crushed pellets and the BBS.

The Clowns give him a hard stare if he gets really close to their nest but he doesn't seem to be phased by that. He also gets really close to the MP10s - I'm not sure if he's confident or oblivious! Definitely a fun fish.

Nanofreak79

Awesome fish bro. Seems like your up to the challenge of raising this little guy, that's awesome. I had a filefish, never ate aptaisa or any food I offered, he didn't last long. Who knows he might have been sick, seeing as I bought him at Petco. Stopped in to check out the tank! Everything is looking great, keep it up!

Awesome fish bro. Seems like your up to the challenge of raising this little guy, that's awesome. I had a filefish, never ate aptaisa or any food I offered, he didn't last long. Who knows he might have been sick, seeing as I bought him at Petco. Stopped in to check out the tank! Everything is looking great, keep it up!

Thanks! He had me worried when he was in the QT as all he wanted was BBS. After a couple of days I dialed them back and then saw him pecking at pods on the glass. Live Aquaria states they take frozen and pellet food but he didn't seem interested at first.

Fish can be so finicky - I had a really nice little Blennie from the LFS and he died after a couple of days. I had seen him picking at algae but when I saw him dead, his stomach was sunken. I felt so bad. The trouble is the smaller they are the less time you have to work out what they need.

• 3 weeks later...

Short update. I was away on vacation for 8 days and set up a standalone auto feeder to dispense pellets in to the IM Gourmet Defroster. The idea here is that the pellets will not flow straight down the overflow and will disperse more gradually. It seems to have worked ok as everyone was still alive when I returned and the tank wasn't a total disaster either.

The Filefish is now eating Formula One pellets without them being crushed which is great! Occasionally, if it's a bigger pellet he can't manage it but he does ok most of the time.

Gellidium keeps reappearing on the rockwork. The peroxide knocks it back but doesn't seem to finish it off. I suspect it has penetrated the rock and that's where it is regrowing from. Perhaps 35% peroxide will do the trick?

The Flame Scallop died suddenly a couple of weeks before my vacation and I have had some cyano on the sand since then.

Everything else looks healthy and is progressing.

Glad to hear everything did well while you were gone. How was the vaca?

Post some more pics of the filefish....such a cool fish.

You gonna get one of those InTank baskets now that its finally on presale?

Vacation was a lot of running around getting stuff done but it beats work!

I'll get some pics up soon. He is cool, always swimming around doing something!

I did plan on the mediabasket but at that price point I'm reconsidering!

Vacation was a lot of running around getting stuff done but it beats work!

I'll get some pics up soon. He is cool, always swimming around doing something!

I did plan on the mediabasket but at that price point I'm reconsidering!

Cool! Not sure if you have been on my thread lately, but I decided to break down the 34 and rebuild it into a sumped setup, so I definitely won't be buying it!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's that time again. Too much travel and not enough time. I'm breaking this down and doing an IM Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon with Mini Tide. Just keeping the Firefish, the Ricordea, GSP and zoas. Possibly the clam. Trying to give the Filefish and Clowns and their anemone to a local reefer.

Want to keep things really low maintenance. Filter floss, water changes, no dosing or kalk, no skimmer or reactor. Might do some chemical media and an upgraded InTank basket. My kids should be able to help with this and if they don't, things should still manage.

I'll be sad to see the Clowns and Filefish go; the Clowns have been with us since the beginning - August 2011.

LA recommends 30 gallon minimum. He's an awesome little fish. Always busy, exploring the tank, eating pods and tiny worms. Eats a lot of pellets too. The firefish is very timid. He could do with some quiet time. I don't know how long they live but he must be a little old man! He was our second fish. When in QT between tanks, the 6 line chewed his dorsal fin downtime stub but it regrew in the end. He's also my youngest's favourite fish.

Archived