SaltCritters.com

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

So I cobbled together a simple water deflector so the water flowing in to the rear chambers doesn't just run down the false wall. I should have done this months ago. Without the deflector, you have to put the filter floss tight against the false wall otherwise the water doesn't get filtered. Also, only the first inch gets dirty so it seems like a waste having a full piece in there but if you don't, it doesn't stay tight against the wall. Also, where the black acrylic has detached from the glass false wall, there was a gap which allowed water to flow in between the 2 and doubtlessly collect detritus; by making the deflector front edge curved, it meets up with the over flow and prevents the bulk of the water from entering the cavity. I'm considering drilling a few holes to spread out the flow over a wider area of floss but I'm also considering leaving it as-is and just placing a narrower piece of floss underneath it as the flow is quite narrow.

IMG_0276_zps1bb124b7.jpg

It shows a little from the front but only if you look closely. I could spray this part with Krylon so it blends in. I think I'll hold off for now and put a better basket together first.

IMG_0277_zpsb5acfee5.jpg

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work. This tank definitely needs it. I think drilling a few different size holes would be a great idea and allow for better water to floss contact. Maybe even extending the deflector further out as well.

Hopefully inTank will be releasing there media basket and deflector soon, I've been debating setting mine back up as a frag tank and keeping it aio.

Your tank looks good btw.

Nice work. This tank definitely needs it. I think drilling a few different size holes would be a great idea and allow for better water to floss contact.

Hopefully inTank will be releasing there media basket and deflector soon, I've been debating setting mine back up as a frag tank and keeping it aio.

Your tank looks good btw.

Thanks! It would be nice to see yours back up, even as a frag tank!

Made up some water for a water change tomorrow and will look at modifying the media rack then.

I did change my RO/DI preflight and carbon block following AZDesertRat's instructions (thanks!) for disinfecting and flushing. If you don't flush your carbon block before hooking it up to your RO membrane, you should. I got quite a few carbon fines out of mine - glad they didn't end up in the membrane!

Tank is looking great. I love your growth shots, very impressive. I do not get growth much at all, let alone anywhere close to what you are getting.

I like the way you set up that water deflector. I'd like to see how it works for you after a while. I just recently changed the way I am running my tank due to the addition of a reactor. I have the reactor in the 1st chamber along with my old InTank basket from my nuvo 8. Then the pump for the reactor is in the skimmer chamber with the skimmer. The outflow from the reactor is going directly into the top of my basket, which houses some floss and carbon. Seems to work well for now. Let me know how your setup does after a month or so.

Tank is looking great. I love your growth shots, very impressive. I do not get growth much at all, let alone anywhere close to what you are getting.

I like the way you set up that water deflector. I'd like to see how it works for you after a while. I just recently changed the way I am running my tank due to the addition of a reactor. I have the reactor in the 1st chamber along with my old InTank basket from my nuvo 8. Then the pump for the reactor is in the skimmer chamber with the skimmer. The outflow from the reactor is going directly into the top of my basket, which houses some floss and carbon. Seems to work well for now. Let me know how your setup does after a month or so.

Thanks! I put a lot of the growth down to the Radions and water changes but I don't know if that is correct. These last growth shots are either side of a 3 1/2 week trip where the tank was fed, filter pad changed but no water changes. The Alk dropped a lot and I lost a Plate and clam. Everything else seems fine.

I should consider the order that I have my stuff in the rear chambers - it might not be optimal!

I ordered some chaeto from Arkayology ($10 shipped!) and am going to put that in my DIY media basket and light it with the JBJ Nano Glo coming from InTank.

I'm also going to try peroxide on this pesky Gelidium algae and am seeking feedback in the 'Peroxide Saved My Tank' thread.

Oh, and I got a small USB-powered fan for evaporative cooling. It's small and quiet but seems to do the job when temps aren't crazy.

HarryPotter

So I cobbled together a simple water deflector so the water flowing in to the rear chambers doesn't just run down the false wall. I should have done this months ago. Without the deflector, you have to put the filter floss tight against the false wall otherwise the water doesn't get filtered. Also, only the first inch gets dirty so it seems like a waste having a full piece in there but if you don't, it doesn't stay tight against the wall. Also, where the black acrylic has detached from the glass false wall, there was a gap which allowed water to flow in between the 2 and doubtlessly collect detritus; by making the deflector front edge curved, it meets up with the over flow and prevents the bulk of the water from entering the cavity. I'm considering drilling a few holes to spread out the flow over a wider area of floss but I'm also considering leaving it as-is and just placing a narrower piece of floss underneath it as the flow is quite narrow.

It shows a little from the front but only if you look closely. I could spray this part with Krylon so it blends in. I think I'll hold off for now and put a better basket together first.

I LOVE THIS IDEA! POSSIBLY SAVED ME $100+ BY AVOIDING THE PURCHASE OF AN INTAKE MEDIA BASKET AND JUST MODIFYING THE FLOW :)

Thanks, and beautiful tank!

I LOVE THIS IDEA! POSSIBLY SAVED ME $100+ BY AVOIDING THE PURCHASE OF AN INTAKE MEDIA BASKET AND JUST MODIFYING THE FLOW :)

Thanks, and beautiful tank!

Shhh! Don't tell Stevie T - he'll send the heavies 'round!

HarryPotter

Shhh! Don't tell Stevie T - he'll send the heavies 'round!

:scarry::scarry:

Seriously though, the InTank baskets are the best but a small fortune.

I would want two for the RL-45, so the total would be $120! :furious:

Oh yeah they also charge $10 shipping, so $130 for the two baskets.

Meh :tears::bling::tears:

:scarry::scarry:

Seriously though, the InTank baskets are the best but a small fortune.

I would want two for the RL-45, so the total would be $120! :furious:

Oh yeah they also charge $10 shipping, so $130 for the two baskets.

Meh :tears::bling::tears:

If the basket for mine was ready, I would have sprung for it ages ago. The water deflector for it is still under development so I decided to do my own. His stuff is the best but if it's a newly-released tank you can't get the basket for a while. If you wait you know it will be good.

HarryPotter

If the basket for mine was ready, I would have sprung for it ages ago. The water deflector for it is still under development so I decided to do my own. His stuff is the best but if it's a newly-released tank you can't get the basket for a while. If you wait you know it will be good.

I know I know, but the price kills me. Ill have to make do during the first few months and the cycle while I purchase higher priority equipment, and then get them.

I know I know, but the price kills me. Ill have to make do during the first few months and the cycle while I purchase higher priority equipment, and then get them.

Starting up is fun but definitely expensive!

I tried some Astreas for my GHA but they didn't bite. The June Astreas that John's referring to may be different, but I popped a Trochus in my tank, and it tore through my GHA in a couple days. FYI.

Also, how do you measure how much kalk to put in your top-off reservoir? I assume you calculate a starting dose based on the volume of the reservoir to ensure consistency, and then do you wait until the reservoir is empty before refilling with water and that same starting dose? I guess if your reservoir was labeled, so you knew how much was in it at all times, you could refill/redose whenever you wanted. If I'm getting the gist of it, how did you go about finding a starting dose?

I tried some Astreas for my GHA but they didn't bite. The June Astreas that John's referring to may be different, but I popped a Trochus in my tank, and it tore through my GHA in a couple days. FYI.

Also, how do you measure how much kalk to put in your top-off reservoir? I assume you calculate a starting dose based on the volume of the reservoir to ensure consistency, and then do you wait until the reservoir is empty before refilling with water and that same starting dose? I guess if your reservoir was labeled, so you knew how much was in it at all times, you could refill/redose whenever you wanted. If I'm getting the gist of it, how did you go about finding a starting dose?

Thanks for stopping by.

Good info on the snails.

To be honest, kalk in the top off water can be a bit vague. A lot depends upon the ambient temperature and humidity which can vary a lot. I couldn't find anything specific - just general guidance on the BRS site that suggested fully concentrated (2 tsp per gallon) for heavy SPS down to 1/2 tsp for low needs. I thought I'd start low and build up. I measured daily then every 2-3 days and saw it was working. What I'm doing now is premixing a 5 gallon bucket (same size as ATO reservoir) of kalk and topping off with that. I decant through a filter sock to keep the worst of the precipitate out of the ATO reservoir but it will still need periodic cleaning as will the pump and hose. The needs will change as you add coral and they grow but it will be a gradual thing. Eventually I'll need to go to 2 part when kalk can't keep up. Hope this helps!

My Chaeto from Arkayology http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/346544-fs-chaeto-10-shipped-usps/ and Nano Glo from In Tank http://shop.mediabaskets.com/JBJ-Nano-Glo-Led-Fuge-Light-JB10094.htm?categoryId=-1 both arrived today. Both were shipped 2 Day Priority and the Chaeto from CA took 2 days and the light from WI took 3. I'm in MI! Very nice cheato, packaged well and arrived in great shape - thanks! Same for the light - In Tank is always great.

I used Command Picture Strips (like velcro) to attach the light so there was no magnet in the back chamber. It's already busy in there.

Top down shot:

IMG_0291_zps0e7ea49c.jpg

Cool...hope this works out well for ya. I have been thinking about potentially doing this as well.

Thanks. I'll post an update in this in a couple of weeks. I wanted a pod haven, to reduce nitrates and phosphates and to stabilise pH overnight. I don't know whether this amount of chaeto will achieve any of those except the pods but it has to be directionally correct!

Any updates on the AquaMaxx skimmer?

Hi. I like it. It's a lot larger than the Tunze and the cup sticks up higher in the rear chamber and can be seen from the front. I thought this would be annoying but i find that I don't notice it too much because the focus is on the display rather rehab the equipment.

It makes a nice thick foam with fine bubbles. Instructions suggest setting the cup 1/2-1" below the water line in the body of the skimmer. I have it about 1/2" above the water line. It produces darker skimate than I could get out of the Tunze but there is a lot of build up in the cup neck. I like to clean it every 3-4 days. In a way, it is still pulling the junk out of the water but it would be nice if it was all making it in to the cup. Usually after 3 days there is 1-2" in the cup.

You can hear a rumbling through the silencer but I ran an airline to the outside to get less CO2 in to the tank to help with pH and now all I can hear is a sizzling noise of the air bubbles. The pump is very quiet.

The skimmer seems well made and robust.

I still need to play around with the cup height and possibly the water height that utensils in - instructions say 8-10" depth and I'm at 9.5" because that's where I managed to adjust my ATO to easily!

I don't have any new photos of skimate as I am in England this week but I'll try to get some when I return.

Hi. I like it. It's a lot larger than the Tunze and the cup sticks up higher in the rear chamber and can be seen from the front. I thought this would be annoying but i find that I don't notice it too much because the focus is on the display rather rehab the equipment.

It makes a nice thick foam with fine bubbles. Instructions suggest setting the cup 1/2-1" below the water line in the body of the skimmer. I have it about 1/2" above the water line. It produces darker skimate than I could get out of the Tunze but there is a lot of build up in the cup neck. I like to clean it every 3-4 days. In a way, it is still pulling the junk out of the water but it would be nice if it was all making it in to the cup. Usually after 3 days there is 1-2" in the cup.

You can hear a rumbling through the silencer but I ran an airline to the outside to get less CO2 in to the tank to help with pH and now all I can hear is a sizzling noise of the air bubbles. The pump is very quiet.

The skimmer seems well made and robust.

I still need to play around with the cup height and possibly the water height that utensils in - instructions say 8-10" depth and I'm at 9.5" because that's where I managed to adjust my ATO to easily!

I don't have any new photos of skimate as I am in England this week but I'll try to get some when I return.

Sounds a lot like what I am experiencing. Only difference for me is I have the water line around 8.5" and the cup is about 1/2" to 1" below the water line. The only complaint I have is I keep getting cerith snails in the venturi intake, which causes the skimmer to not work properly and create microbubbles. Granted, this isn't really the fault of the skimmer, just something to watch out for.

Sounds a lot like what I am experiencing. Only difference for me is I have the water line around 8.5" and the cup is about 1/2" to 1" below the water line. The only complaint I have is I keep getting cerith snails in the venturi intake, which causes the skimmer to not work properly and create microbubbles. Granted, this isn't really the fault of the skimmer, just something to watch out for.

I don't have that many dwarf ceriths anymore but I do have a ton of colonistas. I see them inside the skimmer body but unless they are having a rave, and get together in numbers, they are too small to block things, thankfully.

Just got back a short while ago. I have been battling Gelidium as detailed in this thread http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/268706-peroxide-saves-my-tank-with-pics-to-prove-it/page-58 post 1438 onwards. Basically, spot treating with peroxide outside the tank worked very well. I do not see any of the red algae remaining but did notice a tiny patch of bubble algae.

Skimmer cup from Saturday afternoon to now (Thursday evening) - 5 days - dirty skimate and this deposit in the neck of the cup:

IMG_0302_zpsc89e7fb4.jpg

Archived