Coral Vue Hydros

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mark,

The tank is looking good.

I have a question for you. After switch the radion pucks out to the Gen 3, was it worth the upgrade? what were the benefits (if any) and what are the draw backs (if any)?

regards,

Rob

Hey Rob

I wanted the UV LEDs when I bough the pair of lights but that would have driven the price from high to ridiculous (to me, anyway). In theory, that extra spectrum is important for photo synthesis. I don't know that I can say that I've had better growth as the G2s made things grow pretty well anyway. Would I do it today? Probably not. Th only draw back is cost and perhaps having to perform a small acclimation to the new spectrum.

I hope the Radion is treating you and your coral well.

Merry Christmas!

Mark

Looking Good! love the stylophora.

Thanks! I bought a very small frag from a mod on my local board. It's got different colour compared to what it was in her tank but I do like the contrasting polyps.

My Christmas present is on the way from LiveAquaria. A Yellow Watchman Goby, a couple of Acros, a short tentacle plate and some inverts including a pom pom crab. I've always wanted one of those. Fingers crossed everyone makes it safely. I have the QT set up for the fish and inverts. I'll dip the coral and hope for the best as I don't have a spare light...

QT is slightly cloudy this morning. Zero ammonia. Seems it's likely a bacterial bloom. I've got an airstone in there and more saltwater mixing. UPS should be here soon.

Merry Christmas everyone!

QT isn't cloudy anymore. Corals are doing fine in the DT. Watchman Goby, Peppermint Shrimps and snails are doing well in the QT. Shrimp ate some NLS pellets, Goby ate some BBS. Plate coral ate a mysis shrimp. Pom Pom Crab only made it an hour past acclimation. He didn't look too happy in the shipping box and he was tiny.

• 2 months later...

I am a newbie and I have this tank. I am concerned about water level in the back of the tank. Right now water level is about an 1" below the overflow. But it is that level across the entire back dump area. If I remove water from the dump area it lowers the water across the whole dump. Where is water level supposed to be?

About an inch above the last baffle before the return. Your skimmer can then hang on the false wall baffle right after the overflow baffle

I think that's what's inteded. I'm actually running my water level a little higher.

I have the same tank and can't get a recommendation from Cad.

Where do you have it?

Ok, so it seems my water level at 1.5" below the overflow is way to high. I have the skimmer hanging off the wall between the small second chamber and the third large chamber.

The last little divider is about 4" high. So seems like the tank was designed to have about 5" high water in the back area.

It seems like water that low the heater I have in the small second chamber won't even be fully submerged. Also at this height of water are people hearing more noise from the distance of water flowing down 10" of overflow until it hits the water line?

I have the same tank and can't get a recommendation from Cad.

Where do you have it?

I have the water level in the rear chambers set to just above the second baffle (where the skimmer attaches). This way I don't get a lot of water fall noise and there's a little more volume in the system.

I have the water level in the rear chambers set to just above the second baffle (where the skimmer attaches). This way I don't get a lot of water fall noise and there's a little more volume in the system.

This only works if you are using a skimmer that wants water level that high.

For anyone who is using the CAD PLS-50 skimmer, you need to keep you water level at the height of the last baffle.

This only works if you are using a skimmer that wants water level that high.

For anyone who is using the CAD PLS-50 skimmer, you need to keep you water level at the height of the last baffle.

Yes - I'm running a Tunze. I got fed up with the constant fiddling with the CAD.

Some quick phone photos.

IMG_0161_zpse547b787.jpg

IMG_0160_zpsd3eb1191.jpg

IMG_0159_zps3214b2fb.jpg

IMG_0156_zps0002e9b6.jpg

Indonesian Acro - hopefully it will start to colour up.

IMG_0155_zps618617de.jpg

ORA Borealis Acro

IMG_0157_zps3f78a843.jpg

Bonsai has been encrusting and growing well considering the tiny nub it started from. It was overgrowing some zoas so I cut them out - you can see the damaged area.

IMG_0158_zps8e6c480e.jpg

Yes - I'm running a Tunze. I got fed up with the constant fiddling with the CAD.

Which tunze are you running? I just ordered a 9004. Supposed to need 9" of water. So I think I will be running the back high as well. GTI are you using a reactor? What else besides skimming?

Which tunze are you running? I just ordered a 9004. Supposed to need 9" of water. So I think I will be running the back high as well. GTI are you using a reactor? What else besides skimming?

I'm using the 9001. It pulls ok but I can't get really dark nasty skimmate!

No reactor.

I put a basic media rack together from eggcrate and have it filled with ceramic bio balls as well as a bag of carbon, one of Purigen and one of GFO. Then I use filter floss on top.

4-5 gallon water change each week.

Skimming, Bio balls, carbon, purigen, and GFO....do you really think you need all of that?

I had the media already from my 55 gallon. Is it all necessary? Possibly not. The media is broadly equivalent to what's in a packet of Chemipure Elite. I do have a few individual strands of algae growing on the live rock which makes me a bit nervous because I don't want to deal with an outbreak. The only place the algae has taken a small hold is on the anemone rock where the Clownfish lay eggs. There's a short green fuzz all around there - if the snails go anywhere near it, the female picks them off in her mouth and drops them further away or if they are large snails she knocks them off the rock and kicks up a sandstorm with her tail!

Nice tank, I really like that one rock in the middle that almost looks like its floating.

Thanks! I'm glad it's starting to grow in a bit. I'm hoping to get to the local frag swap later in the month and try another clam and maybe another plate coral.

On an unrelated note, I am not getting any update notifications. I checked my settings. I tried turning them off and then back on. Still nothing. I haven't changed email address or anything else and there's nothing in my spam folder - anyone have suggestions?

On an unrelated note, I am not getting any update notifications. I checked my settings. I tried turning them off and then back on. Still nothing. I haven't changed email address or anything else and there's nothing in my spam folder - anyone have suggestions?

I lied. I must have changed the notification settings in my account profile without realising what the implications were!

I had the media already from my 55 gallon. Is it all necessary? Possibly not. The media is broadly equivalent to what's in a packet of Chemipure Elite. I do have a few individual strands of algae growing on the live rock which makes me a bit nervous because I don't want to deal with an outbreak. The only place the algae has taken a small hold is on the anemone rock where the Clownfish lay eggs. There's a short green fuzz all around there - if the snails go anywhere near it, the female picks them off in her mouth and drops them further away or if they are large snails she knocks them off the rock and kicks up a sandstorm with her tail!

Man with all of that going on, I am suprised that you have any algae at all growing in the system. I would actualy be worried about stripping the water too much.

I have been running absolutely nothing for the past couple months(not even carbon), although I had a pretty small bioload with only the 2 clowns. I have always tested 0 for phosphates and around 2-3 for nitrates, although the 2 acros I have are all browned out. I am starting to wonder about the accuracy of the tests, so I just ordered a bag of the new chemipure blue. Well see if the color comes back in the acros...

Man with all of that going on, I am suprised that you have any algae at all growing in the system. I would actualy be worried about stripping the water too much.

I have been running absolutely nothing for the past couple months(not even carbon), although I had a pretty small bioload with only the 2 clowns. I have always tested 0 for phosphates and around 2-3 for nitrates, although the 2 acros I have are all browned out. I am starting to wonder about the accuracy of the tests, so I just ordered a bag of the new chemipure blue. Well see if the color comes back in the acros...

I'm horrible at testing! I did consider whether I was pulling too much out of the water but everything seems happy. Even the new acros are encrusting although the Indonesian one hasn't coloured up yet.

I'm horrible at testing! I did consider whether I was pulling too much out of the water but everything seems happy. Even the new acros are encrusting although the Indonesian one hasn't coloured up yet.

Well thats good....if it works, dont fix it right?

Well thats good....if it works, dont fix it right?

That's kind of how I am running the tank - do the right things and if everything looks ok, leave it alone!

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. I traded in the 2 larger Gorgs and picked up a Tiger Conch and a mangrove. I also had a small Blennie but when I got him home I saw how sunken his stomach was. He didn't make it. I traded some frags and the toadstool for a couple of small pumps.

Yesterday I noticed that the few hairs of algae on the rocks were actually fairly widespread. Also, when I bought some of the mini conchs from someone on this board, many had a red algae growing on their shells. The has begun to spread to the rock work in a couple of places and to other snails. I have put the snails in a QT and am trying to spot treat their shells with peroxide without getting any on the snail tissue. I spot treated the red algae out of the tank and noticed today that some of it is looking orange - hopefully the first step to it dying back. I ordered a media reactor from BRS for GFO. I currently have it in a bag but this doesn't seem to be working well enough.

The only thoughts I had were that the soft corals were using some of the nutrients from the water and removing them has allowed the algae to propagate or it could be my temporary (white) egg crate media rack leaching in to the water.

Archived