Innovative Marine Aquariums

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

What would happen if you raised the water level but didn't increase the height of the last baffle? This is what I have done but must admit I don't understand the effects of baffle placement.

If your ATO is in the final chamber, the extended baffle would mean you'd need less evaporation before the ATO would top off. This would keep the salinity more consistent. I never extended the final baffle and it didn't seem to matter. Best practice would be to extend it.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your ATO is in the final chamber, the extended baffle would mean you'd need less evaporation before the ATO would top off. This would keep the salinity more consistent. I never extended the final baffle and it didn't seem to matter. Best practice would be to extend it.

thanks, much appreciated

What would happen if you raised the water level but didn't increase the height of the last baffle? This is what I have done but must admit I don't understand the effects of baffle placement.

GTI is correct here, but with 1 caveat. Being that the 2nd and 3rd chamber are not really that big when combined, I agree that the change in salinity before your ATO kicks on will not be much. But, it likely will be enough of a water height drop to potentially effect the skimmer. If you extend the baffle, it keeps the 2nd chamber isolated so that the water level remains a constant, which is preferred for a skimmer.

• 1 month later...

I just returned home from a 3 1/2 week trip out of town. While I was gone the fish were fed, ATO reservoir kept filled and filter pads changed but no water changes. Everything looked happy except the new orange plate which has receding tissue around the mouth area. Alk was down to 5.7. I did a 5 gallon water change and will do so each day for the next few days. When I dropped a few pellets on the plate it didn't take them to its mouth and when the pumps came on, they blew away.

I was growing some macro on a frag plug (I think it's ulva) but some must have come off and got in the MP10 because there are little leaves growing all over the LR. And red turf algae from the mini conchs' shells. It might be time for a Reefcleaners order.

I ordered an Aquamaxx WS1 skimmer (like the HOB but for in-sump use). That and some other bits and pieces had arrived.

I adjusted the water height in the back chambers to 9 1/2" (instructions say 8 - 10") and set it up. Within 10 minutes there was nice thick foam in the neck even with the cup set high. Once it is settled in, I will fine tune the water level in the rear chambers so it is s little lower and also get the cup to sit lower. The photo shows how much it sticks out above the tank right now but it will be a bit lower after the adjustments.

FullSizeRender_zps77709651.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps0fa8d20f.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps746d80b0.jpg

hi, mike here, another owner of 34g. did you change your return pump to something smaller?

hi, mike here, another owner of 34g. did you change your return pump to something smaller?

Hi Mike. Yes, I was running a Sicce Syncra 1.0 with 251 gph. I used the MP10s for additional flow. The Sicce was quieter than the stock pump.

Hi Mike. Yes, I was running a Sicce Syncra 1.0 with 251 gph. I used the MP10s for additional flow. The Sicce was quieter than the stock pump.

thanks! may i ask what are the equipment that you have on the back? BTW, +1 to that skimmer, we almost have the same skimmer.

thanks! may i ask what are the equipment that you have on the back? BTW, +1 to that skimmer, we almost have the same skimmer.

No problem. I don't have the tank anymore but I was running a BRS reactor. I added some extra tubing and elbows so the reactor itself was in the cabinet underneath the tank and the tubing ran up the back of the tank in to the middle chamber.

No problem. I don't have the tank anymore but I was running a BRS reactor. I added some extra tubing and elbows so the reactor itself was in the cabinet underneath the tank and the tubing ran up the back of the tank in to the middle chamber.

got it, thanks again

Archived