SaltCritters.com

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided I didn't like my rockscape. Played around a lot and ended up with this. Still not sure I like it!

photo2_zps114472f8.jpg

photo1_zps55cead05.jpg

I think the left piece is awesome! Seems to me like the right structure is a little bulky and doesn't compliment the cool bonsai looking left piece. Something more minimal would prob look better.

Don't change the left side though. Little bonsai like structure is dope

I think the left piece is awesome! Seems to me like the right structure is a little bulky and doesn't compliment the cool bonsai looking left piece. Something more minimal would prob look better. Don't change the left side though. Little bonsai like structure is dope

Thanks for the feedback. That was my main concern too - that the 2 structures are so vastly different that they are incompatible. Then I thought that once the coral and anemone are in, it won't matter so much. Maybe I'll have a go at making a lighter structure to the right when I get some time.

theishkid

Hey GTi, I've been following along for a couple of weeks now. I was just curious why you haven't got the tank wet yet? Are you just waiting on more equipment?

Hey GTi, I've been following along for a couple of weeks now. I was just curious why you haven't got the tank wet yet? Are you just waiting on more equipment?

Nope. I have everything including livestock. I need to get the carpet replaced in that room and it will be a lot easier without water in the tank. It's surprisingly difficult to get comparative quotes as no 2 places stock the same carpet and each has different charges. If it was the one room, we'd have just done it but we need to do the whole ground floor and it adds up fast!

If we don't get it done soon, if I can decide on a rockscape I'll cycle it in a tub of water in my basement!

theishkid

haha... i hear you. It's funny you mention carpet. My father owns a carpet store, as well as my grandmother... it's kind of the family business. Too bad you're not in Oklahoma.

theishkid

I just called my dad to see if he had any advice...

He said the problem with carpet is that there are two or three dozen different name brands and each brand has a couple hundred styles. And even in those styles they have different "weights" of carpet and while one place may sell a 20 ounce carpet the next place sells a 30 ounce of the same style but they are still different so you cant really compare. Nobody can carry the same items because they just literally can't stock that much supply. Most stores will just carry two or three main brands and a few dozen styles.

His advice is to find a reputable store that is a Mohawk Color Center Dealer.

Mohawk has Smart Strand fiber that can take a direct hit from clorox and it will not bleach out the carpet. That would be good in case you accidentally get any chemicals from your tank on the carpet.

He also recommends going with a moisture barrier pad so that the water will not soak up into the pad and leave smells around.

Mohawk has a brand of pad called Smart Cushion and he says if you go with that and a Smart Strand carpet that your warranty will be extended even longer.

Hope this helps!

I just called my dad to see if he had any advice...

He said the problem with carpet is that there are two or three dozen different name brands and each brand has a couple hundred styles. And even in those styles they have different "weights" of carpet and while one place may sell a 20 ounce carpet the next place sells a 30 ounce of the same style but they are still different so you cant really compare. Nobody can carry the same items because they just literally can't stock that much supply. Most stores will just carry two or three main brands and a few dozen styles.

His advice is to find a reputable store that is a Mohawk Color Center Dealer.

Mohawk has Smart Strand fiber that can take a direct hit from clorox and it will not bleach out the carpet. That would be good in case you accidentally get any chemicals from your tank on the carpet.

He also recommends going with a moisture barrier pad so that the water will not soak up into the pad and leave smells around.

Mohawk has a brand of pad called Smart Cushion and he says if you go with that and a Smart Strand carpet that your warranty will be extended even longer.

Hope this helps!

Awesome - thanks for the information! Nano-Reef: your one stop shop for marine and flooring needs!

So, still working on the rocks. I tried to make something a bit less bulky on the right Opinions on this please, including the order they are placed in the tank. Thanks!

photo_zps06521dbb.jpg

So, still working on the rocks. I tired to make something a bit less bulky on the right Opinions on this please, including the order they are placed in the tank. Thanks!

photo_zps06521dbb.jpg

I think that looks better. I like the 3 islands!! Only thing I would change is.

All the rocks are almost the same hieght. I would take the left side, and only use the small rock. It would make the other 2 structures have more presence. It would also be nice to have a smaller rock that u can fill up with corals that don't demand a lot of light. Something like a ric garden!

It like it a lot though! Makes the tank look more open.

I think that looks better. I like the 3 islands!! Only thing I would change is.

All the rocks are almost the same hieght. I would take the left side, and only use the small rock. It would make the other 2 structures have more presence. It would also be nice to have a smaller rock that u can fill up with corals that don't demand a lot of light. Something like a ric garden!

It like it a lot though! Makes the tank look more open.

Thanks for the feedback! It's always nice to have another viewpoint!

One other idea I came up with was a stacked stone pillar - along the line of the Zen pebble stacks and the waymarkers people set up along trails, particularly our West.

I'm not sure if it works and if it does which structure it will replace! I really find rockscaping tough!

photo_zps7495bb56.jpg

I kinda like Alex's idea, but maybe have the two taller structures one the outsides and towards the back of the tank. Then, in the middle towards the front, have a shorter, but wider structure. Maybe you could use the top piece off of the left structure and lay it down in the middle? Just a thought....

I kinda like Alex's idea, but maybe have the two taller structures one the outsides and towards the back of the tank. Then, in the middle towards the front, have a shorter, but wider structure. Maybe you could use the top piece off of the left structure and lay it down in the middle? Just a thought....

Thanks for the input! I'll see what other rocks I have in the box and see if a there's a neat single piece that would work.

Today's effort at scaping:

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo_zps0c26541d.jpg.html'>photo_zps0c26541d.jpg

The left structure is lower and actually 2 pieces. The main piece has a nice crevice so when I get an anemone, it will have somewhere to put it's foot and feel secure and hopefully stay in place. There is also a bit of a cave going on, too but you can't see it from straight on.

• 2 weeks later...

That last scape is the one. Keep it

Thanks! I modified it slightly so the bonsai structure is a touch higher and added another small rock to the right side. Of course now the rocks are in a bucket, they'll probably look different when I put them back in!

Awesome, a gen3 Radion! Now custom mount some Blue+ and Coral+ T5s!!!

I think T5s have awesome colour, I just have a hard time spending money on new tubes every 6 months (but apparently not a hard time spending it on LEDs! I will sell the G2 pucks and that will drop the upgrade cost by around 50%).

Yours looks great under the T5s.

photo2_zps588a44b7.jpg

photo1_zpsdc9d7342.jpg

Got this surface skimmer from Pico Aquariums and just put it on the AC50. The small plastic piece is a stabiliser that clips to the tank rim and keeps the AC50 more stable than the original design. The box slides over the water pick up tube of the AC and you adjust it to get the right height and you're done. If you have it too high and adjust the AC to max flow, you'll pull air so you need to drop the box down another 1/8" or so. Surface is instantly cleaner. Very tidy looking piece. I have it in my 9" deep Pico Aquariums naked tank and there's about 1" or so clearance to the bottom of the tank so it should fit most except the very shallowest tanks. Very pleased with it so far!

With any surface skimmer with this type of design, even though there are a few holes in the main body of the box (in addition to the top 'teeth'), you need to keep the water level fairly constant by topping off either manually or with an automatic system.

Archived