Cultivated Reef

2G Cube [Casa Del Zoa]

Reefkid88

Here the cell pics I took earlier of the new Acan's,I'll snap some slr pics tomorrow:

20161112_192221.png

20161112_192154.png

20161112_192130.png

20161112_192048.png

I have one more,but it wasnt as happy as the other 4.

• Like 2

Nice acans! They can be very addictive. I think they'd be even more popular if people had better luck getting them to color up.

Thankfully they have been super easy for me. I do noticed if my water is too clean,they lose their colors. So now that I got rid of all my sps I can dirty the water up again. Low light and tons of food and they are happy.

On another note,Im waiting to see if my job does "christmas bonuses" this year and if so,Im looking into a new light. Im looking at a G3 xr15,Hydra 26 hd,NanoBox,Razor Nano or hit up the forum here and see what I can find.

• Like 1

So I need some help peoples...here are my choices so far:

Hydra 26 HD- $350

Maxspect Nano- $232

Radion XR15- $320

Maxspect Celestial- $160

Maxspect 120w- $336

NBR Duo Plus- $385

You don't like Kessil ?

Not really,I'm really just not a fan of their drunken shimmer lol. I really think I'm the only one who doesn't. Now if I was offered one at a stupid good deal,I would probably consider it.

Yes I was about to say that that shimmer is so beautiful. I've started with a Kessil 360w, then switched to XR30w PRO. I don't know much about SPS and Kessil but zoas etc grow like crazy with no issue. Switched to Radion, much more setting, very interesting programming and I like the Caral Lab lighting schedules: http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Ecotech_CoralLab_WP1.pdf

But shimmer is so so really and you can see some disco light effect on the sand, like purple waves I don't really like it.

I can't say anything about other, but in this battle is more like ... do you want more settings or pleasant looking shimmer.

If you don't like shimmer go with Radion, I think it's a very cool light as well.

;)

Here is the visual all from 2-3 polyps in about 1.5 years, half under the Kessil then Radions, same growth rate:

LC_Zoas.jpg?format=2500w

It's a good looking light,and does have proven results with certain species. But for me,it's just not a contender for other lights that are on the market and have double the features. Especially the Hydra 26 HD's,its a small ass foot print,wireless control out of the box and a proven light. But out of all my options,that would probably be my light of choice. Although the Razor is another good choice,it would be a bit bulky but I could definitely use it in the future if I was to upgrade.

I wouldn't mind picking up a used Radion G3,all my local stores use them and grow the day lights out of coral. The whole needing a Reef Link or connecting it to my lap top to tune the colors kinda makes me wanna say no,but I would probably still get one having the chance. That is some crazy good growth though,those Rasta's look awesome !!! Mine keep melting and coming back lol.

Right now my hybrid is a good light,but its a 24" fixture on a 16" long tank lol and I just get tired of looking at it 24/7.

• Like 1

I had the non-HD Hydra 26 but I didn't like the color I got from their LED selection. I could never get it to look as good as the Nanobox. But I don't know if that would still be a problem with the new HD.

Really ?! That is surprising,did you end up getting rid of that due to that ?! From all the videos i have seen and reviews I have read,everyone loves theirs.

Its definitely going to be a hard choice if I am able to switch lights.

Well,we didn't get out bonuses yet. So I did a little Black Friday shopping today and scored these 4 pieces for under $20 !!!

This about 90% true to color:

20161125_223959.png

Never had a Favia before:

20161125_224038.png

This Acan reminds me of my Micro colony:

20161125_224111.png

My last Twizzlers melted,so I got another frag:

20161125_224152.png

Also,for all you dog lovers,my dog is making it hard for me to love him loo this is the 2nd time he has broke out of his cage and done this to my apartment:

IMG_20161123_195322.jpg

• Like 4

Nice pickups! I've got a favia that looks a lot like yours in my 10g tank.

How does it grow ? Thats one coral Ive never kept and figured eh,why not ?!

Dognado!

He is a ass...

How does it grow ? Thats one coral Ive never kept and figured eh,why not ?!

He is a ass...

It spreads steadily but not super fast. The colors morph depending on how much light it gets, with some shades of red added in low light. I'll post some pictures in my 10g thread when I get home tomorrow.

It spreads steadily but not super fast. The colors morph depending on how much light it gets, with some shades of red added in low light. I'll post some pictures in my 10g thread when I get home tomorrow.

Sounds pretty good. Some red would be awesome.

lilmatty5dimes

Not really,I'm really just not a fan of their drunken shimmer lol. I really think I'm the only one who doesn't. Now if I was offered one at a stupid good deal,I would probably consider it.

What's the crazy good deal? I'm looking for a light to go on top of a nuvo 20g. I feel your pain with the dog. Mine has done that about 5 times.

Im seriously thinking about keeping only Acan's lol i got these 2 today:

20161113_221128.png

MymkSb2.jpg

But seriously all those acan frags look amazing. I hope you can keep that nuisance algae under control.

What's the crazy good deal? I'm looking for a light to go on top of a nuvo 20g. I feel your pain with the dog. Mine has done that about 5 times.

I was saying if I was offered a Kessil at a stupid good deal,Id probably consider it seeming Im not a huge fan. Dang,another tank ?! I have come to hate him,I told my girl if he does it again,he is gone hahaha.

MymkSb2.jpg

But seriously all those acan frags look amazing. I hope you can keep that nuisance algae under control.

Thank you,I appreciate it. I'm on a huge Acan kick right now. Im trying,not much is working though.