Innovative Marine Aquariums

Arce's Tank

Arce

I think it's Dinos, though I don't think I've ever had them. How much flow do you have, I'm surprised it can stick to the corals like that.

You pulled all GFO and carbon as well, right?

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving. :)

I think it's Dinos, though I don't think I've ever had them. How much flow do you have, I'm surprised it can stick to the corals like that.

You pulled all GFO and carbon as well, right?

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving. :)

I have a mp10 and wp10 running full blast. I didnt pull my carbon didnt think it was dinos.

Happy thanksgiving!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Sorry, playing 20 questions today. You have both T5 and LED over this, right?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-i-beat-dinoflagellates-and-the-lessons-i-learned

Just a story about beating them. ^

Then he comes back in the comments later and says they came back like nothing had ever happened. There is no getting rid of them. Just replace shit as it dies and move on. :/

Then he comes back in the comments later and says they came back like nothing had ever happened. There is no getting rid of them. Just replace shit as it dies and move on. :/

They came back when he started dosing carbon ... then went away, then tore down take for whole house fumigation. Apparently they spread to the house! :D

Ace I think it's an imbalance but I'm not sure which one. We know your PO4 was high while nitrates low, and you reduced PO4 with PhosphateRx and now they seem to be getting worse?

Using Kalk to keep PH elevated might help, but yea, this is going to be work, unfortunately. :( There has to be a reason why some people suffer from them while others never do. I've read everything from feeding more to raising PH to lights out to hydrogen peroxide.

I can look into the vibrant. I dropped the phosphates and nitrates are still under 5. This all happened the past week so its still hard to say if the drop in phosphates will fix everything. What gets me is that the slimey snot is only on sps that have stn, nothing is on the kat or my new sunset milli. There was snot on my gorg like i said but i think it was shedding because ive been blowing my rocks and sand to try to clean the tank more. Im not carbon dosing, yes im using t5/led. This is another reason why im thinking of taking the sand out.

Trying to find some other threads on how to combat them. Hydrogen peroxide dosing, black outs, breaking down and cleaning out.

How much hydrogen peroxide should be dosed per gallon?

jedimasterben

Trying to find some other threads on how to combat them. Hydrogen peroxide dosing, black outs, breaking down and cleaning out.

How much hydrogen peroxide should be dosed per gallon?

None, cause it's not gonna fix the problem. Not even that vibrant stuff can. And if it did, then your corals would all be dead, as well, as inside of them is a dinoflagellate that is almost identical to the snot you see.

None, cause it's not gonna fix the problem. Not even that vibrant stuff can. And if it did, then your corals would all be dead, as well, as inside of them is a dinoflagellate that is almost identical to the snot you see.

Well i guess well see, ill give anything a try at this point

FW dip kills them, as does peroxide.

You could do a super quick FW dip on the worst SPS. Coral will not like it and the dinos won't die 100% because some will be inside coral polyps and under slime coats. But it helps you get ahead of the problem sometimes.

• Like 1

He may not have a very invasive species, they all seem to run a slightly different course. It looked like I had some for a while in my 150 but they blew away and that was that.

I will have 2 MP40 and 2 Tunze in the big tank with two additional Tunze on standby for MORE FLOW. I love blowing the crap out of anything that moves. I've been using nutrient transport mode which alternates the pumps at full power and that took care of most of the cyano. It's amazing what flow can do to minor outbreaks.

• Like 2

Went back through my thread to see when the dinos could have been introduced. All my problems started when i added my deresa and a purple stylo. I never keep frag plugs or anything from vendors after having men and aefw back in the 29, but that doesnt mean it couldnt have came in on the actual piece. All guesses obviously because i could have had them way before this but thats when things rapidly went down.

Looked at my tank today, my new pink milli is pretty much gone as well as my ponape. My slimer frag from kats on its way out. The sunet milli tips are starting to show issues. The kat colony is ok, just a little pale. Clams and acans are good, same as the gorgonians.

Guess im done with the sps game... pretty upset...

Everyone has them, it's just a matter of invasiveness and conditions don't you think? You identified what you thought were dinos in my tank when it was doing bad and they persisted for a few weeks then faded.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Everyone has them, it's just a matter of invasiveness and conditions don't you think? You identified what you thought were dinos in my tank when it was doing bad and they persisted for a few weeks then faded.

They do the same in my tank, and they're confirmed dinoflagellates, and one of the most invasive and toxic known. That's why I'm saying not to bother with anything, just replace dead shit and carry on. :)

Dang, sorry to hear about the Dinos :(

Hopefully just letting things will let the tank get back into a better balance after a while.

Thanks, well see what happens, pretty much over it. I still have the vibrant coming so ill still see if it does anything otherwise im out of the sps game.