Coral Vue Hydros

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

lfs carries these pillow sized bags of it for 8$ lol last time i went I bought a couple and not even a quarter of the way through the first bag... pretty good deal to me its acurel filter fiber. The macro that grows the fastest isn't something i think many people would want in their display, if you look at the top left tonga branch you can see it growing all over it... it spreads like wildfire pops up everywhere, doesn't choke anything out but if you don't stay on top of it won't look good in a display completely neglected. I think it helps me do what I do so I just prune it constantly.

Ahhh ok. I wish my LFS sold bulk FF. I use the inTank stuff which is amazing, and I only need like a 2"x2" square, so the $12 amount lasts me a long time.

I have no room for macro in my display, but I do like the way it looks.

Is your rock all glued/epoxied together?

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh ok. I wish my LFS sold bulk FF. I use the inTank stuff which is amazing, and I only need like a 2"x2" square, so the $12 amount lasts me a long time.

I have the big base shape of it glued and epoxed together then a ton of rubble laid over it that is not epoxied, it looks like a staircase under the rubble.

Whenever you get a chance, some close ups of the tank would be great.

This weekend for sure, no macro's though as I don't have a lense for it barring a 35mm that won't get 1:1 and its stupid close focus distance renders it useless for tank macros.

NorthGaHillbilly

quilt batting from walmart

a buncha pics as promised... ignore the water drips on the front glass heh

17825595750_b7424fc24a_b.jpg

heres the green macro algae that does what it wants, donno what its called bit of gha there too

18013252545_74df38dd5f_b.jpg

18014028651_8cd41ba5a6_b.jpg

17986781066_2b6f5da62f_b.jpg

17392716823_d970fb2a2d_b.jpg

17392717363_c4a9a6f98a_b.jpg

17390651424_e9b47f2fe2_b.jpg

17986784926_725f95072b_b.jpg

17825356118_22945e009e_b.jpg

17825603650_cae8d85215_b.jpg

17827014339_9f0b7601ed_b.jpg

18010028002_6cd9ea6174_b.jpg

18014038331_42f7dff135_b.jpg

17825360888_b874ebb663_b.jpg

17825608550_ac418948b7_b.jpg

18014040271_3d7a55831a_b.jpg

myarmolich

a buncha pics as promised... ignore the water drips on the front glass heh

heres the green macro algae that does what it wants, donno what its called bit of gha there too

17986781066_2b6f5da62f_b.jpg

Those textures tho :wub:

Beautiful tank its between you and reeferboo this month for TOTM but if you don't get it this month Im 100% you will get it next month.

Thank you for the pictures! :wub:

You've got a couple of macros growing wild in there. The most obvious olive green one is Dictyota. It comes in red and yellow (brown) varieties. Here's a picture from reefcleaners website

dictyota_300x400.jpg

Clean Up Crew- Emerald Crabs, Sea Hares, some Turbos, Chitons, Limpets, Tangs, and Urchins will eat it. Longnose Decorator Crabs will devour it, they go crazy for Dictyota.

Link to RC thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424480

I would absolutely love to get a bunch of that :flower:

The red wiry macro on that branch there is gelidium - another invasive species. For both - hydrogen peroxide works well.

Have you tried mexican turbos? I had the invasive red dictyota and they took care of it in no time.

Thank you for the pictures! :wub:

You've got a couple of macros growing wild in there. The most obvious olive green one is Dictyota. It comes in red and yellow (brown) varieties. Here's a picture from reefcleaners website

dictyota_300x400.jpg

Clean Up Crew- Emerald Crabs, Sea Hares, some Turbos, Chitons, Limpets, Tangs, and Urchins will eat it. Longnose Decorator Crabs will devour it, they go crazy for Dictyota.

Link to RC thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424480

I would absolutely love to get a bunch of that :flower:

The red wiry macro on that branch there is gelidium - another invasive species. For both - hydrogen peroxide works well.

Have you tried mexican turbos? I had the invasive red dictyota and they took care of it in no time.

yeh my take on algaes, since having numerous strange breakouts of it is that they come in force then dissipate as the system works its way toward equilibrium. I am hesitant on anything other than manual removal of the macro specifically because it is my main method of nutrient export. On top of that I like the look of it between my corals, it doesn't grow over them or on them which is nice. As the system matures more and corals fill in more and the algae has less places to grow I anticipate seeing more micro algae growth... which will mean more frequent water changes. But as it sits right now the dictyota really does a great job of keeping nitrates and phosphates in check.

the gelidium really only grows on that branch as its the highest flow highest lit part of the tank, the dictyota gets blown off of it mostly.

thanks for the dictyota ID tho I have been lazy and honestly havnt bothered to look up the name as the translucent color changiness of it appeals to me lol.

Beautiful tank its between you and reeferboo this month for TOTM but if you don't get it this month Im 100% you will get it next month.

flattered I was nominated, I feel like my tank is no where near what it is going to end up like when its fully mature, boos tank is gorgeous and shows a lot more progression than this tank has achieved in its life thus far, he deserves totm infinitely more than this one. CM is very good at his picks though one of the reasons I like reading the totm's.

HarryPotter

flattered I was nominated, I feel like my tank is no where near what it is going to end up like when its fully mature, boos tank is gorgeous and shows a lot more progression than this tank has achieved in its life thus far, he deserves totm infinitely more than this one. CM is very good at his picks though one of the reasons I like reading the totm's.

I agree with you :)

Your tank is amazingly beautiful, as is reeferboo's. However his is much more developed and IMO should be May's TOTM, whereas yours would benefit from a month or two of growth!

(Not putting down yours, I admire it constantly and have it as my background!)

Looks great Hey. I spy an acro? :)

caught me lol, how it hasn't browned out is beyond me not much growth but it encrusted pretty well. the pocilipora is more interesting to look at imo though with its ridiculous polyps and such.

Sk8n Reefer

Very nice- great colors and nice shot of both clowns together and in focus! Not an easy shot to get. Like that lone poci - the polyp extension is great to watch for sure.

Beautiful tang! You aren't worried that the 50g is not enough? Not tang police, just curious :)

My thought on the subject is its been beaten into the ground and if someone's gonna do it they are gonna do it. Not going to open the can of worms and try to justify it to someone who has the opposite opinion as me. Not saying you do but someone being anyone really. I can say however I am at least not a complete noob and know a fair bit about the creatures in the wild and behavior in captivity so I am comfortable with my decision.

HarryPotter

My thought on the subject is its been beaten into the ground and if someone's gonna do it they are gonna do it. Not going to open the can of worms and try to justify it to someone who has the opposite opinion as me. Not saying you do but someone being anyone really. I can say however I am at least not a complete noob and know a fair bit about the creatures in the wild and behavior in captivity so I am comfortable with my decision.

Great! Just checking in lol- Im neutral in the subject. Above 40 gallons is pretty much a gray area IMO

Archived