SaltCritters.com

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

Rabbitfish and zoas don't play well together. :lol:

I've watched my rabbit very carefully peck around zoa polyps to eat macros. Of course mine aren't $99 a polyp. Oh wait, I have pink kracks.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to think I have a predator hiding in my rock work... Lost my male anthias yesterday after the 2 previous weeks or so showed no signs of illness and was eating a pretty varied diet 2-3 times per day. The dispars like the rock work it seemed and were frequently in it esp at night. The last rock dwelling fish I had purchased (citron clown gobies) also ate and acted fine then vanished. I do have a fair amount of clicking but I know there is a rock dwelling pistol shrimp I accidentally introduced but I am wondering if there's a potential fish killer now as it only seems to be the rock dwelling fish.

Have you stalked the tank at night, maybe it hunts then?

I haven't looked very diligently but I should probably get a red light and post up a few hours... I do have some smashed snail shells as well

sounds like a mantis? Maybe?

Def my thoughts with broken shells and clicking, although clicking also coming from pistol shrimp. Not something I am going to tear the tank apart looking for but an annoyance I am experiencing as I loved those anthias'

Sorry, losing stuff is the worst feeling.

Good luck, sounds like you have some night time watching to do.

So, played in a scramble today came home and my female anthias was nowhere to be found. She always comes out when food hits the water so I am assuming the worst. Sigh, won't be trying any more until I see some evidence of what's going on. Hoping it is a predator and not one of the million other potential issues that anthias can have... Or potentially spread... You would think I would be quarantining now.

Sorry again! Did you do any night stalking?

Not yet was busy yesterday and today... Will be until Monday night so hopefully then. If the tang or chromis goes next it will be because they sleep in the rock work. But it doesn't make much sense as the chromis has been in there for a good 6 months. I just have a hard time accepting that the fish was there and eating this morning then gone this afternoon 7 hours later no signs of illness.

Sk8n Reefer

So, played in a scramble today came home and my female anthias was nowhere to be found. She always comes out when food hits the water so I am assuming the worst. Sigh, won't be trying any more until I see some evidence of what's going on. Hoping it is a predator and not one of the million other potential issues that anthias can have... Or potentially spread... You would think I would be quarantining now.

Wow- both in a matter of days- that's the worse with no signs. That's what happened with my Ruby red- doing great eating and getting fat......then gone- must have found that outlet into the open ocean ?

Wow- both in a matter of days- that's the worse with no signs. That's what happened with my Ruby red- doing great eating and getting fat......then gone- must have found that outlet into the open ocean

yeh it's also my understanding anthias can have mystery deaths as well and is pretty common (just not easy fish to keep)... it def does suck, and when I don't understand why something happens I am very reluctant to try again unless I have a solid answer.

Looking great! I've seen your signature around, thought I'd click and check out your thread from start to end! Love the Amano inspired layout, and also how pedantic you are with cleanliness haha! Keep it up!

I've watched my rabbit very carefully peck around zoa polyps to eat macros. Of course mine aren't $99 a polyp. Oh wait, I have pink kracks.

Pink Kraks are barely worth $40 a polyp now lol.

so I havn't seen it yet but I read somewhere mantis clicks tend to be multiples in very quick succession whereas pistols tend to be a singular click sometimes a pair. Well i have definitely been hearing multiples like 7-8 clicks in a row very quick.

so I havn't seen it yet but I read somewhere mantis clicks tend to be multiples in very quick succession whereas pistols tend to be a singular click sometimes a pair. Well i have definitely been hearing multiples like 7-8 clicks in a row very quick.

Interesting. I hope someone can pop in and confirm this for you!

Archived