inTank Media Baskets

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

Arkayology

My thought on the subject is its been beaten into the ground and if someone's gonna do it they are gonna do it. Not going to open the can of worms and try to justify it to someone who has the opposite opinion as me. Not saying you do but someone being anyone really. I can say however I am at least not a complete noob and know a fair bit about the creatures in the wild and behavior in captivity so I am comfortable with my decision.

I can add that I have had my kole for a year or so in my 24x24 and it gives no indication that it is cramped. They don't need the room that larger tangs need ime.
  • Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
picoreef78

Great! Just checking in lol- Im neutral in the subject. Above 40 gallons is pretty much a gray area IMO

The general thought is these fish need more swimming room. I also just bought a Kole Tang for my 50 gallon which excuse when I gets bigger, time for a bigger tank.

Tank looks amazing and love the new Kole Tang. Out of all the tangs I would like to own, the Kole is highest on my list. I am planning a 55G upgrade, I may consider a Kole for that tank.

What does your Koke tang eat? Mine seems to like mysid shrimp. Skips the nori.

Everything pretty much, mysis,baby brine, brine, oyster eggs, even goes at cyclops and krill. I keep nori up every other day all day on a clip where he grazes it every so often as well. I haven't seen him eat any of the 2 types of pellets I have though.

I need some of that green macro algae for my mangrove tank. I've let my rocks grow some GHA and I am actually liking it.

I need some of that green macro algae for my mangrove tank. I've let my rocks grow some GHA and I am actually liking it.

The olive green dictyota in my tank grows like mad, if you want something more decorative codium looks kinda like a bta, halimeda looks awesome, maidens hair has me interested lately. I still want that caulerpa brachypus or whatever it was giga had as well.

That's a very cute tang. Once it it time to re-home my rabbit, I'm going to think about what kind of tang I want. I saw a Kole up close at a recent swap and it is such a cool fish.

I think the tang police have a place in life when we see new hobbyists that get a tang for a nano without research. Experienced hobbyists do take chances but I think it should be noted and taken into account that they are also very tuned in to how the fish is behaving. This doesn't come without research and time, both of which a new hobbyists may not have.

Very cute fish. Sad face for no chance of getting a piece of dictyota for Kat :(

HarryPotter

That's a very cute tang. Once it it time to re-home my rabbit, I'm going to think about what kind of tang I want. I saw a Kole up close at a recent swap and it is such a cool fish.

I think the tang police have a place in life when we see new hobbyists that get a tang for a nano without research. Experienced hobbyists do take chances but I think it should be noted and taken into account that they are also very tuned in to how the fish is behaving. This doesn't come without research and time, both of which a new hobbyists may not have.

Very cute fish. Sad face for no chance of getting a piece of dictyota for Kat :(

Hmmmm I have been debating if my 45g was large enough for a 1" "Dori" or Scopa tang, but pretty much decided not to since the size. No?

I don't have a ton of experience with Marine fish, just my two clownfish, a Goby, and I used to have a dwarf angel. The tank is pretty stable though///

Hmmmm I have been debating if my 45g was large enough for a 1" "Dori" or Scopa tang, but pretty much decided not to since the size. No?

I don't have a ton of experience with Marine fish, just my two clownfish, a Goby, and I used to have a dwarf angel. The tank is pretty stable though///

In a 45, the only tang I would consider is one from the bristletooth group. They do not need as much swimming space as the rest of the tang family.

You rly want a chunk of the smelly algae? Srsly it smells so bad out of the water lol. Never tried shipping it but I assume it's easiest done in a bag with wet paper towels?

In a 45, the only tang I would consider is one from the bristletooth group. They do not need as much swimming space as the rest of the tang family.

Def agree with bristle tooth group Kole in particular due to much smaller max size. Also my opinion is waiting for the tank to mature a while as they like to nibble stuff off everything helps if it's constantly growing.

You rly want a chunk of the smelly algae? Srsly it smells so bad out of the water lol. Never tried shipping it but I assume it's easiest done in a bag with wet paper towels?

Yes please! Is your tang not eating it?

Yes please! Is your tang not eating it?

Nope it's toxic I hear Nasos are the only thing that reliably eats it maybe some sea hares. Fair warning though is if it goes in your fuge and u trim it u run the risk of it getting into your display. It spreads like mad when its manually removed.

Nope it's toxic I hear Nasos are the only thing that reliably eats it maybe some sea hares. Fair warning though is if it goes in your fuge and u trim it u run the risk of it getting into your display. It spreads like mad when its manually removed.

Hmm! That is very interesting. Maybe it will compete with bryopsis for space. ha ha.

Hmm! That is very interesting. Maybe it will compete with bryopsis for space. ha ha.

I have bryopsis valonia and a few other algaes that I'd consider pests in traditional tanks lol I feel like this stuff does slow my bryopsis down greatly, the mass I can pull on a weekly basis is like chaeto harvesting. I will say I need seed the tank with tisbe though as its a great environment for them. I rinse out tons of buggies when I pull out chunks.

My yellow tang eats the red algae, hair algae, and that flat smelly algae. The foxface eats everything else. The Kole is designed to scrape instead of pick, so he grazes surfaces, including the glass. Leave a glass pain to collect algae and you'll see his mouth marks all over it.

My yellow tang eats the red algae, hair algae, and that flat smelly algae. The foxface eats everything else. The Kole is designed to scrape instead of pick, so he grazes surfaces, including the glass. Leave a glass pain to collect algae and you'll see his mouth marks all over it.

Oh I do, I actually like that my glass scraping or lack thereof benefits him. Supposedly they love detritus as well and he does spend a good amount of time at the sand bed. I debated on a yellow but ultimately decided the Kole was a better fit.

Also I forgot to mention it here but I picked up a trio of dispar anthias, I lost one female or at least she's been Mia long enough to assume that but the male and female that are left are doing great and eating well. They're very shy fish, the male especially but the female is out hover above the rock work in high current about 75% of the time now. Beautiful fish stoked I finally got some.

so I got around to glueing those dudes down, and working with the white balance, however I was too lazy to clean remove the equipment and wait for things to settle before taking some shots. Anyways heres the latest:

17081069683_0cf4f71145_b.jpg

Looks gorgeous, hey! I would love to see a new FTS with the kole tang in the tank :).
Legendary Corals

Thank you for the pictures! :wub:

You've got a couple of macros growing wild in there. The most obvious olive green one is Dictyota. It comes in red and yellow (brown) varieties. Here's a picture from reefcleaners website

dictyota_300x400.jpg

Clean Up Crew- Emerald Crabs, Sea Hares, some Turbos, Chitons, Limpets, Tangs, and Urchins will eat it. Longnose Decorator Crabs will devour it, they go crazy for Dictyota.

Link to RC thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424480

I would absolutely love to get a bunch of that :flower:

The red wiry macro on that branch there is gelidium - another invasive species. For both - hydrogen peroxide works well.

Have you tried mexican turbos? I had the invasive red dictyota and they took care of it in no time.

Oh my God... That algae is my worst enemy. By far the most invasive algae I've ever had to deal with. Didn't take any risks when we moved all of our frags to our new system a few months back. Luckily our yellow tang grew an appetite for it and was able to eat the smaller pieces.

jedimasterben

Oh my God... That algae is my worst enemy. By far the most invasive algae I've ever had to deal with. Didn't take any risks when we moved all of our frags to our new system a few months back. Luckily our yellow tang grew an appetite for it and was able to eat the smaller pieces.

Rabbitfish :)

Lol, I'm pretty much ok with it but I can see how many people would despise it, however it doesn't grow in shade and if you lower the tank temp it doesn't grow as fast but 79 and up grows crazy fast. The only fish I'd seen that eats it with 100% certainty was the naso tang. I don't really have room to try a rabbit naso or even yellow but then again I am making lemonade and am going to seed it and maybe try a dragonet when the tank matures and I set up a pod culture.

Lol, I'm pretty much ok with it but I can see how many people would despise it, however it doesn't grow in shade and if you lower the tank temp it doesn't grow as fast but 79 and up grows crazy fast. The only fish I'd seen that eats it with 100% certainty was the naso tang. I don't really have room to try a rabbit naso or even yellow but then again I am making lemonade and am going to seed it and maybe try a dragonet when the tank matures and I set up a pod culture.

I wonder how it would be in a seahorse tank where the temperature runs 71-74?

I wonder how it would be in a seahorse tank where the temperature runs 71-74?

I'm not positive but from what I hear is it blooms like crazy in the Caribbean in the summer when temps go up, could be unrelated but from what was stated the guy seemed pretty convinced going to 76 in his tank slowed his growth a lot. I am actually positive I could eradicate it using a tooth brush, canister filter full of filter floss to use like a vacuum as I brush and a uv filter to nuke any particles that make it past the floss.

I am actually interested in trying a toothbrush with superglue in the bristles to scrub stuff off rocks just because it sounds crazy effective heh.

Looks gorgeous, hey! I would love to see a new FTS with the kole tang in the tank :).

Soon I hope, next fts won't be 4 months in the making.

Archived