Top Shelf Aquatics

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's beautiful

so I got around to glueing those dudes down, and working with the white balance, however I was too lazy to clean remove the equipment and wait for things to settle before taking some shots. Anyways heres the latest:

17081069683_0cf4f71145_b.jpg

thanks for the comments guys, hopefully the next update doesn't end up being 5 months again. Promise I will try and be more frequent lol.

Yeeeeep. TOTM.

Edit: Is this no longer sumped? Is this just an AC110, ATO, heater and MP10?

yep. although its an ac 70, closest to the flow rate the mame was giving me, everything is pretty happy around that it seems. I run bulk filter floss and purigen constantly and every other week or so put a bag of carbon in. A smaller change i made recently was raising my light about 6 inches, i don't know par numbers but I am getting better polyp extension with that change.... nothing extreme like reaching but things are just looking happier.

Also, ordered a clam through my lfs, if its anything like what I have seen them get in the tank will have its centerpiece soon, and ill be moving the frogspawn thats in front of the gorg to give it a nice little place to do its clam thing.

Clams are cool and really not that hard. I have had a crocea for over 2 years and it's nice. Make sure when you get it that it reacts to passing your hand over it. A healthy clam will temporarily close.

yep. although its an ac 70, closest to the flow rate the mame was giving me, everything is pretty happy around that it seems. I run bulk filter floss and purigen constantly and every other week or so put a bag of carbon in. A smaller change i made recently was raising my light about 6 inches, i don't know par numbers but I am getting better polyp extension with that change.... nothing extreme like reaching but things are just looking happier.

I'm amazed, man. Your tank is the definition of simple. So elegant and pretty. Very nice example of what we can do with our tanks without all the bells and whistles.

The purigen, are you just running a 100ml bag? I had to take mine out because my 10g hated it. I think I'd use it again in small amounts - maybe cut the 100mL bag open and use 20mL at a time? Dunno.

Amazing!..follow this tank..i think change my canister filter(eheim 2211) with your,but AC 50..more easy for clean

I'm amazed, man. Your tank is the definition of simple. So elegant and pretty. Very nice example of what we can do with our tanks without all the bells and whistles.

The purigen, are you just running a 100ml bag? I had to take mine out because my 10g hated it. I think I'd use it again in small amounts - maybe cut the 100mL bag open and use 20mL at a time? Dunno.

imo let the tank age some mine felt very sterile for quite a while and i quit using chemical filtration for about 6 months until i started seeing some algae growth in the macro and micro forms. It may make you laugh but I haven't done a water change in recent memory but I do test to make sure ca alk mag nitrate and phosphate aren't out of control and take measures to keep em all in check. (wouldn't try this without lots of macro algae and pruning or some form of nutrient export)

Basically I like simple because I know that is the limit of what I am willing to take care of, the whole plan starting the tank was display refugium with corals tossed in. The maintenance I am performing regularly is changing filter floss almost twice a week (but I buy it in bulk so its easy) and cutting out macro algae 2-3 times a week for constant nutrient export (and to keep it from completely taking over the tank) overall its very similar to a mature freshwater tank in terms care and it's what i started the aquarium hobby in.

In all honesty I am probably due for one in terms of getting the smaller minerals and compounds in balance and getting any chemicals from coral warfare not removed by the carbon out. You know how i remember to switch my carbon? My hammer coral gets mad and doesn't fuilly extend and I have noted its the best indicator for coral warfare chemicals building up heh.

Clams are cool and really not that hard. I have had a crocea for over 2 years and it's nice. Make sure when you get it that it reacts to passing your hand over it. A healthy clam will temporarily close.

I really want one for the diversity they add, possible filtration benefits, and looks. Hoping I have better luck this time around not getting one with PM and that hopefully I have been clam fallow long enough for it to be out of the system and not have to deal with it again.

imo let the tank age some mine felt very sterile for quite a while and i quit using chemical filtration for about 6 months until i started seeing some algae growth in the macro and micro forms. It may make you laugh but I haven't done a water change in recent memory but I do test to make sure ca alk mag nitrate and phosphate aren't out of control and take measures to keep em all in check. (wouldn't try this without lots of macro algae and pruning or some form of nutrient export)

Basically I like simple because I know that is the limit of what I am willing to take care of, the whole plan starting the tank was display refugium with corals tossed in. The maintenance I am performing regularly is changing filter floss almost twice a week (but I buy it in bulk so its easy) and cutting out macro algae 2-3 times a week for constant nutrient export (and to keep it from completely taking over the tank) overall its very similar to a mature freshwater tank in terms care and it's what i started the aquarium hobby in.

In all honesty I am probably due for one in terms of getting the smaller minerals and compounds in balance and getting any chemicals from coral warfare not removed by the carbon out. You know how i remember to switch my carbon? My hammer coral gets mad and doesn't fuilly extend and I have noted its the best indicator for coral warfare chemicals building up heh.

I really want one for the diversity they add, possible filtration benefits, and looks. Hoping I have better luck this time around not getting one with PM and that hopefully I have been clam fallow long enough for it to be out of the system and not have to deal with it again.

Oh I have algae. My glass is fuzzy all the time. I scrape it every week.

I think your set up is great. I always have these illusions about what I want and can do. When it comes down to it, a weekly water change, change of filter floss, and a monthly carbon change seems to be the ticket for me. I wish the algae would go away, though. If I had more space, I'd add some macro to be able to remove some excess nutrients, but as it stands - no way right now.

Where do you buy your bulk filter floss?

Oh I have algae. My glass is fuzzy all the time. I scrape it every week.

I think your set up is great. I always have these illusions about what I want and can do. When it comes down to it, a weekly water change, change of filter floss, and a monthly carbon change seems to be the ticket for me. I wish the algae would go away, though. If I had more space, I'd add some macro to be able to remove some excess nutrients, but as it stands - no way right now.

Where do you buy your bulk filter floss?

lfs carries these pillow sized bags of it for 8$ lol last time i went I bought a couple and not even a quarter of the way through the first bag... pretty good deal to me its acurel filter fiber. The macro that grows the fastest isn't something i think many people would want in their display, if you look at the top left tonga branch you can see it growing all over it... it spreads like wildfire pops up everywhere, doesn't choke anything out but if you don't stay on top of it won't look good in a display completely neglected. I think it helps me do what I do so I just prune it constantly.

Archived