Top Shelf Aquatics

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks man, hardscaping is definitely one of the most exciting parts of a tank build for me. Looking foward to seeing your build come together I actually got a quote on one of those DB tanks before I bought this but they wouldn't ship a tank without the overflow (you nailed it by just getting rid of it lol) nice stand making skills btw

lol, its a nice tank other than that awful overflow. Im looking forward to redoing my scape some, Im really thinking of adding some branch to get some height like youve got goin on

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, its a nice tank other than that awful overflow. Im looking forward to redoing my scape some, Im really thinking of adding some branch to get some height like youve got goin on

I will let you in on something I don't think I mentioned in here yet, the scapes I do are very mathematical. The rubble pile is actually a triangle measure out to 2/3rds the length of the tank and 2/3rds the height as well as 2/3rds the depth. I just used the branches to direct your eye out of the visually heavy rock part into the larger negative space that just has sand. I tried to keep all the leading lines parallel to each other but perpendicular to the triangles hypotenuse.

Sorry if that all sounds like dumb overthinking but I like how mathematical aesthetically pleasing stuff can be.

very epic man-I love the use of the fog glass effect, may use that for my new tank.

A couple pages back details the type of frosting used. I definitely recommend the home depot more expensive type called "etched glass" that uses water cling to apply over the super thin stuff that uses a more permanent solution to apply it and always looks yucky.

So I nominated you for TOTM - but for the love of marines please change those cabinet doors :P lol

I am flattered but this tank is still a baby compared to so many of them on there, doors are staying I like em, plus I am way to lazy to do anymore work on the hardware lol.

Just went through your thread- really nice- not just the inhabitants but the complete look. I like how open it is. I wish my clowns would wander around-great job

Just went through your thread- really nice- not just the inhabitants but the complete look. I like how open it is. I wish my clowns would wonder around-great job

Put a fish in there that they don't like lol, my mama clown is always on patrol to keep the chromis in his place... she hates him no damage yet though I need to put another fish in to split up her aggression. Oddly enough her and the royal gramma are best buds, probably because the chromis is in the damsel family.

man i'm a big fan of warmer looking tanks. i think my next bulb switch will be something 12K-esque.

I can't say enough good things about the ushio bulb. Watch out for too much light though I havn't checked with a par meter but I really have to acclimate stuff (they get hella pissed if I don't) from my lfs to my tank because they run some really deep blue on their radions.

Tank is looking great Hey, I'm digging your new FTS.

Thanks man, may be a bit before I post a new one, I got some livestock planned I would like to have settled before I post another.

I'm really considering building a stand for my 50g, what type of plywood did you use to skin your stand?

Just i think quarter inch for the sides of poplar and 3/4ths for the top. Poplar works pretty well for painting without having to use a grain filler.

Just i think quarter inch for the sides of poplar and 3/4ths for the top. Poplar works pretty well for painting without having to use a grain filler.

Awesome, I'll look into that, thanks!

Is this the more "expensive" etched glass frosting you were talking about?

I think I'm going to order it, and redo the backing of the new tank I got, and also laser cut some translucent white overflow boxes too.

I love white/clear/frosted backgrounds way too much to go to black.

I keep forgetting to check this thread when I'm home so i can see the pics. Tank looks really great!

I'm not sure why flickr is blocked by so many corporate firewalls.

I keep forgetting to check this thread when I'm home so i can see the pics. Tank looks really great!

I'm not sure why flickr is blocked by so many corporate firewalls.

I'm getting some pictures blocked, some coming through ok. Who knows...

Not sure why firewalls are blocking pics either may have something to do with my lack of naming them though, I just shoot, edit, upload which is a terrible habit when you have thousands of pics in your library. Meh atleast they are all sorted by date uploaded...

On a side note stuff is growing well, kenya is throwing branches aswell so I have either been placing them when I dont dislike them or just pulling them.

Still havn't ordered my clam yet, just havn't decided on where to buy it from. Probably need to get on this as well as the 50million other little things I plan to order, sexy shrimp, more feather fusters(cluster dussters), pom pom crabs, porcelain crab, more macro, some RFA's, money cowries, stomatellas... yeh basically a lot of stuff. I just hate that most of this stuff isn't available to me locally but when you order online you can't always get everything from the same shop and end up having to pay for shipping because the order is too damn small.

Is this the more "expensive" etched glass frosting you were talking about?

I think I'm going to order it, and redo the backing of the new tank I got, and also laser cut some translucent white overflow boxes too.

I love white/clear/frosted backgrounds way too much to go to black.

yeh this is it but in a smaller sheet than what was available here, good find.

I'm getting some pictures blocked, some coming through ok. Who knows...

I had done some on photobucket, but the bulk of the recent ones have been flickr, colors are a lot more accurate in flickr.

Archived