Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Not sure why firewalls are blocking pics either may have something to do with my lack of naming them though

No, a lot of corporate firewalls block free image hosting sites, Flickr, Imgure, Photobucket, etc.

No, a lot of corporate firewalls block free image hosting sites, Flickr, Imgure, Photobucket, etc.

Ah makes sense, I was figuring it may have had something to do with nikons default image names being like dsc79669.jpg because its a picture but no hint to what the pic was.

9/11/2014

15207903611_3e354fb3f2_b.jpg

And heres what it is looking like so far DIY stand wise and the tank being leak tested (don't worry I am feeling lucky testing it over my wood floors haha)

414_zps82e65064.jpg

413_zpsc948f9d3.jpg

IMG_0435_zpsdf618eb0.jpg

IMG_0434_zpsa5942ccb.jpg

I had to come check out your conch! I seeeee him :D. And wow....awesome tank/stand/wallpaper...looks fantastic!!!!

Just looked through this entire thread again for who knows how many times, I really like it.

more pics

I really need to buy a nice macro lens, but I have a bigger list of wants in livestock so it always takes a backseat. I do fts's mostly just because the tank doesn't really have any spectacular individual pieces its more about the overall effect.

I had to come check out your conch! I seeeee him :D. And wow....awesome tank/stand/wallpaper...looks fantastic!!!!

Ha, they are indeed the coolest looking cuc member imo. Thanks for the compliments I am kinda a mid century modern dork. I keep a good amount of reproduction furniture aswell, my favorite being the arc lamp lol. I am way to cheap to buy the real ones but an accurate recreation is fine for me.

I really need to buy a nice macro lens, but I have a bigger list of wants in livestock so it always takes a backseat. I do fts's mostly just because the tank doesn't really have any spectacular individual pieces its more about the overall effect.

Ha, they are indeed the coolest looking cuc member imo. Thanks for the compliments I am kinda a mid century modern dork. I keep a good amount of reproduction furniture aswell, my favorite being the arc lamp lol. I am way to cheap to buy the real ones but an accurate recreation is fine for me.

Yeah, they are a great CUC member! I hope they are long-lived for us!

I have pretty eclectic taste. You'll find a little bit of this and a little bit of that in my house. I'm a fan of mid-century modern too :).

and also if you could drill would you drill or use the mame?

do you have the silencer cap for the mame?

Yeh I have a silencer cap on mine, its completely silent, my stupid mag pump and skimmer bubbles are the only things I hear on my tank.

I wouldn't drill if I had the option, what I would do over a mame in my case is have a custom tank built with an external overflow on one of the tanks short sides to set it up peninsula style. That will be reserved for when I move and have a custom 120 built though lol.

Biggest advantage over the mame imo drilling has is 100% reliable overflow, can handle more flow, don't need to remove it and clean it every month.

Yeh I have a silencer cap on mine, its completely silent, my stupid mag pump and skimmer bubbles are the only things I hear on my tank.

I wouldn't drill if I had the option, what I would do over a mame in my case is have a custom tank built with an external overflow on one of the tanks short sides to set it up peninsula style. That will be reserved for when I move and have a custom 120 built though lol.

Biggest advantage over the mame imo drilling has is 100% reliable overflow, can handle more flow, don't need to remove it and clean it every month.

i just weighing up the costs of one apparently it is like £100 and the gate valve i would need for a herbie would be like £50, the holes would be £10 and the mame looks sick.

How much did you pay for yours?

and also what is your background? is it frosted glass?

i just weighing up the costs of one apparently it is like £100 and the gate valve i would need for a herbie would be like £50, the holes would be £10 and the mame looks sick.

How much did you pay for yours?

and also what is your background? is it frosted glass?

I got mine used so its not really applicable, and my background is a material applied to the tank held on by water cling.

jedimasterben

I bought some of the window cling today, gonna attempt to install it later. I have a gimpy wrist now, hurt it yesterday, and its my primary hand, too, so we'll see how this goes lol

I bought some of the window cling today, gonna attempt to install it later. I have a gimpy wrist now, hurt it yesterday, and its my primary hand, too, so we'll see how this goes lol

It always happens to the better hand :D

jedimasterben

holy shit that was WAY harder and tuned out crappier than I'd hoped :/

turns out I'm really bad at applying cling film :/

holy shit that was WAY harder and tuned out crappier than I'd hoped :/

turns out I'm really bad at applying cling film :/

I know exactly what you mean. I thought I did a really good job at cleaning the glass & applying the film.

I filled the tank up and took a look today; boy did I miss a few dust spots that got trapped....

jedimasterben

I know exactly what you mean. I thought I did a really good job at cleaning the glass & applying the film.

I filled the tank up and took a look today; boy did I miss a few dust spots that got trapped....

I cleaned it really well with vinegar and liberally applied water from a spray bottle and did exactly as the instructions said and still just doesn't look good lol

I cleaned it really well with vinegar and liberally applied water from a spray bottle and did exactly as the instructions said and still just doesn't look good lol

My advice for doing it would be to start with the application in the middle of the tank then spread it outwards, I used some bondo spatulas as my flatten-er to work the bubbles to the edge. I do have a few air bubbles but I was applying it to a tank that was full and thats a pita to do compared to one thats empty.

I don't have any air bubbles, but it looks uneven, it's like I can see spots that have water in them or something.

Ah, i bet in a few days it'll evap out. That or mildew...

Archived