Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

• Uronema disease

uronema.jpguronema2.jpg

Images courtesy of Chuck and

Linda's Website:

ChucksAddiction.com

causes: The ciliate protozoan Uronema marinum

symtoms: External ulcers, muscle and skin bleeding, lethargic behavior, cloudy eyes, and sloughing of the skin are signs. They usually die right away if infected because of the impaired circulation of the gills.

treatment: Freshwater bath followed by prolonged immersion in a formalin bath a day later is effective.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Uronema disease

uronema.jpguronema2.jpg

Images courtesy of Chuck and

Linda's Website:

ChucksAddiction.com

causes: The ciliate protozoan Uronema marinum

symtoms: External ulcers, muscle and skin bleeding, lethargic behavior, cloudy eyes, and sloughing of the skin are signs. They usually die right away if infected because of the impaired circulation of the gills.

treatment: Freshwater bath followed by prolonged immersion in a formalin bath a day later is effective.

On bigger fish it looks like that, the first fish I had died within 36 hrs of showing symptoms and these had no syptoms prior to that fish dying.

heres a better look at the final stage in chromis

deadfish.jpg

Oh, I had chromis like that from the LFS before.

Is my tank supposed to be diseased? I've had fish live months after the chromis died. And still have fish living.

Oh, I had chromis like that from the LFS before.

Is my tank supposed to be diseased? I've had fish live months after the chromis died.

If they had red band looking marks or spots another common name for it is chromis red band disease

nanotopia had it a while back and I believe had one actually survive in the tank for a year then got it and died within days aswell. It seems to attack compromised fish and is questionable as to whether its pretty much in every tank waiting for compromised immune systems in fish. Albert suggest 90 days fallow to me and I may try that with a UV on the tank. Catching the freakin fish in a rubble tank is a nightmare though. Chromis seem like they are getting it left and right based on what I had been seeing on the RC forums since april this year.

They looked just like your picture

ewww maybe I am just phobic about germs if healthy fish dont seem to contract this

also did your fish die gasping the last bit of its life near top or bottom?

ewww maybe I am just phobic about germs if healthy fish dont seem to contract this

also did your fish die gasping the last bit of its life near top or bottom?

Can't remember. They seemed normal, just with red blood looking marks. Just found them eventually stuck to the mp10's lol

Can't remember. They seemed normal, just with red blood looking marks. Just found them eventually stuck to the mp10's lol

Ah I watched mine die gasping, that or going unconscious. Either way I hate having any diseases in tank you would think I would have set up a QT.

My wife is pretty against me doing a teardown. Once these chromis are out, if I can ever catch them (found a big freakin flaw with the rubble pile btw) I will probably let nature take its course in the tank and see what happens. May set up a ranchu tank in the basement to keep myself occupied with tank maintenance as I won't be carbon dosing this one anymore or broadcast feeding then 2-3g water changes daily anymore. Also not adding any more corals until I determine the tank isn't 100% doomed.

My wife is pretty against me doing a teardown. Once these chromis are out, if I can ever catch them (found a big freakin flaw with the rubble pile btw) I will probably let nature take its course in the tank and see what happens. May set up a ranchu tank in the basement to keep myself occupied with tank maintenance as I won't be carbon dosing this one anymore or broadcast feeding then 2-3g water changes daily anymore. Also not adding any more corals until I determine the tank isn't 100% doomed.

Good for your wife! I'm against it too. :lol:

Ranchu are awesome.

Good for your wife! I'm against it too. :lol:

Ranchu are awesome.

Yeh i have a fascination with them, my wife prefers my saltwater addiction but I like the daily maintenance of a super high nutrient diet required to groom ranchu. Also lets me use python water changer for easy daily 75% water changes, i do love my toys.

Gah this sucks. Add mass amounts of inverts instead.

lol, I have at the moment emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, too many nassarius, too many mini ceriths, ceriths, a fuzzy chiton, a florida fighting conch and probably some crap I dont know about.

My lfs has live mysis that breed readily in a reef tank with hiding places so I may try some of those, need pom pom and acro crabs still, asterinas, trochus, lettuce nudis, another cleaner shrimp as a mate, not sure what else but I do love tons of invert life regardless.

lol, I have at the moment emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, too many nassarius, too many mini ceriths, ceriths, a fuzzy chiton, a florida fighting conch and probably some crap I dont know about.

My lfs has live mysis that breed readily in a reef tank with hiding places so I may try some of those, need pom pom and acro crabs still, asterinas, trochus, lettuce nudis, another cleaner shrimp as a mate, not sure what else but I do love tons of invert life regardless.

Pistol shrimp though they are nice to pair with gobies...

You can go with other symbiotic creatures though. Anemones with all the different kinds of shrimp that pair up with them. Sexies and Pederson's to name a few.

I used to have a couple of those fuzzy chitons. They're great!

FTS as of today, 1 chromis still alive in display just behind rock at the moment. I think uronema may have been a misdiagnosis based solely on the timeline being off. It kills fast, my first fish died fast the rest have been slower but deteriorating none the less. Chromis exhibit similar marking symptoms from "Chromis break down syndrome" which I am leaning toward now. In general it is caused by mishandling of fish during capture or shipment. Yep, really hoping I was wrong on first diagnosis but man they look crazy similar and my time line was correct for the first fishes death.

Ignore the algae film, I don't like to clean the glass every other day heh.

15067498655_3154ffdd27_b.jpg

Ignore the awesome purple lens flare under my clown, its amateur hour in here clearly

Chromis break down syndrome huh? Never heard of that one. Sucks for the chromis but good news for the other fish. Hopefully that's the case!

Either way the tank looks amazing.

I still need to pick some of that frosted film up

Chromis break down syndrome huh? Never heard of that one. Sucks for the chromis but good news for the other fish. Hopefully that's the case!

Either way the tank looks amazing.

I still need to pick some of that frosted film up

yeh found that one on wetwebmedia, its scary how similar they look.

jedimasterben

Not surprising about the chromis. They're collected in such high numbers and sold for so little that they just don't care about them at all :(

Not surprising about the chromis. They're collected in such high numbers and sold for so little that they just don't care about them at all :(

Yeh and that is a freaking shame as I find they are really underrated fish looks wise. I hope this last one recovers, doubtful but hoping none the less.

I was originally against the frosted background, but now I'm in love.

:wub:

holy crap, so pretty. i LOVE the frosted back. it looks like an exhibit at the natural history museum. perfectly staged and lit.

Amateur hour or not, looks good! Glad your clowns are doing well and I hope your first diagnosis really was wrong!

Absolutely stunning, loving how this tank is filling in. I hope your first diagnosis was off.

Thanks guys, got a long way to go and grow before it is looks remotely like I am thinking in my head but the compliments are much appreciated.

Came home to this yesterday, freaked out for a second before I got a closer look. Also still have my 1 chromis alive he is hiding mostly doesn't make me feel that great about his odds as I feel like sick fish tend to be hiders.

15098571081_a98c91d8c9_z.jpg

Got a new scoly the other day it came with a giant vermetid on it which I actually like... doesn't look anything like the variety I have residing in my tank now. I know some (especially those with sps) consider these a pain but I like em, keep particulate crap out of the water pretty efficiently.

I couldn't get the color right on the scoly mostly rushed a shot but it has very very slight hits on green on it which I thought was interesting for a cheapo scoly

15162112925_0db9e9a675_z.jpg

Archived