Pod Your Reef

Hey's 50 rimless (fts update 9/10)

hey

Legendary Corals

Heres the next phase on my aquascaping, the idea I am playing with is that once covered with corals your aquascape looks nothing like how it did when you laid out your original rockwork due to variances in shapes colors and textures. I am hoping to preserve these branches shapes by sparsely placing only very small polyp types of corals on them and leaving the bulk of the branches exposed. The hillside however will be eventually covered with hopefully very considerate coral placement with attention paid especially to growth patterns.

DSC_0483_zps0962c3c0.jpg

Still got a few more things I plan to do to this before it gets wet but hopefully this is an idea of the direction I am headed.

So a little bit of progress has been made, got a canvas for the tank backdrop as I really don't want birch trees setting the scene for my reef tank. Hung the light, drilled a couple holes in the stand to run the mames in and out tubes through without draping them over the back of the stand. Next update after this should have the sump finished as well as some wire organization.

Heres how shes lookin for now.

IMG_0467_zps34e222b6.jpg

Good God this is sexy!!! Following along for sure. I'm really interested in what your choice of corals will be. I think most people in the planted community would use moss to keep that type of scape. So maybe zoanthids? Acans? Some SPS on the sides? I think the scape would also look great if you kept some of the rock uncovered.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the chance to read through your build Hey! Definitely following, it looks amazing so far. Except you need to put some paint on that canvas!! Haha. Sorry I also like to paint, so when I see a white canvas...just makes me want to get crazy. I would paint it abstract with the looks of a deep ocean or something of that nature. I actually just bought a canvas to paint up some wall art that will hang above my tank, figured I have a couple weeks of time to kill due to cycling.

I can easily see you scaping this with the actual animals.

A harem of schooling fish to enjoy all the water space sounds like a good plan, as well.

Just make sure the Tonga is secure, which im sure you will.

That halide is just begging for some hard corals up top though.

I made sure the tonga was nice and attached with some fully cured waterweld before I added water. Best method I found for this was attaching smaller pieces of rubble to the tonga sliding it into place then attaching the small pieces to the larger rocks. I was surprised how well it held.

As far as sps is concerned, If i put some in it will most likely be an experiment as I refuse to treat the tank differently than how I have gotten used to caring for my other tank. It may work, i assumed it wouldn't as I am pretty lax on testing and while I will be dosing 2 part I won't be messing with much else as I don't have an auto doser... yet.

Good God this is sexy!!! Following along for sure. I'm really interested in what your choice of corals will be. I think most people in the planted community would use moss to keep that type of scape. So maybe zoanthids? Acans? Some SPS on the sides? I think the scape would also look great if you kept some of the rock uncovered.

I am actually definitely going to make ample use of gsp. Plan is to use aggressive lps to keep it in check. Maybe some rock flower nems as "flowers" on the tonga branches. Not entirely sure yet but it will be fun to see how it plays out.

Just got the chance to read through your build Hey! Definitely following, it looks amazing so far. Except you need to put some paint on that canvas!! Haha. Sorry I also like to paint, so when I see a white canvas...just makes me want to get crazy. I would paint it abstract with the looks of a deep ocean or something of that nature. I actually just bought a canvas to paint up some wall art that will hang above my tank, figured I have a couple weeks of time to kill due to cycling.

Ha, I am definitely not a paint kinda guy. Hopefully the tank will be all the color needed in front of it lol. I may even sign the corner so it looks like a painting lol.

As far as cycling mine may go a lot faster than I originially planned as I remembered I had a bag of matrix in my aio's bottom chamber thats been in use for about a year. Should be a ton of bacteria on it, I'll know tonight about how much when I retest my 4ppm ammonia.

Your using the neotherm right? Think I may order the 200w one for my new tank today, will be roughly 55 gal or so.

I have a 100w on my other tank with no controller on it and it works beautifully, 1+ years now. I use a hydor inline on this one 200w.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my ammonias down, nitrites 0 and nitrates through the roof. Going to do some more ammonia to check on the rate of processing then hopefully a nice big water change and time to get going. Here's a little action shot.

DSC_5892_zpsf2c086c0.jpg

Looks great Hey.

Thanks, I like your stocking list btw, I have been trying to stay off of here too much while the tanks cycling it seems to make it harder on my wait lol.

Such a sick tank I've been waiting for an update on his tank

I want to do a similar scape with my mr aqua 12l

Thanks for the compliments, PM me when you get your scape going I definitely want to see what you do with it.

Well I dosed 2ppm ammonia yesterday and its around .5 so its not processing quite fast enough. My nitrites are still showing aswell so the cycle may be a while longer unfortunately. Oh well no rush I guess I just want to see some life in it.

I have metallic green, brown, and plain green star polyps growing right now to cover rock work. A nice mat over the rubble with focal points on the tonga could be gorgeous. A perfectly crafted 'natural' scape

Thanks, I like your stocking list btw, I have been trying to stay off of here too much while the tanks cycling it seems to make it harder on my wait lol.

Haha. Seriously. I usually start a video game to keep me off the classifieds.

Haha. Seriously. I usually start a video game to keep me off the classifieds.

I just bought a new camera to keep me out of the house and from staring at an empty tank

Legendary Corals

Well my ammonias down, nitrites 0 and nitrates through the roof. Going to do some more ammonia to check on the rate of processing then hopefully a nice big water change and time to get going. Here's a little action shot.

DSC_5892_zpsf2c086c0.jpg

*gasp* she's wet...

Steensj2004

Killer scape, most original one I have ever seen! Curious, worried about it becoming a nutrient trap? I am unsure how you built it, and I have not idea if it would....I'm just curious if you had considered that?

Killer scape, most original one I have ever seen! Curious, worried about it becoming a nutrient trap? I am unsure how you built it, and I have not idea if it would....I'm just curious if you had considered that?

Yeh it had been considered but I am not too concerned with it that terribly as rockwall reefers have essentially the same layout. I also plan on lots of softies so some excess nutrients would probably be appreciated to some degree.

Also wanna say the tank is now cycled, going to stock very slowly aswell as I am pretty much not in a rush with this thing. I think I lost the battle with my wife on the no clowns in tank thing because my current clown is now residing in the 50 happily enjoying the new space. Will have to get her a buddy here soon.

Legendary Corals

Yeh it had been considered but I am not too concerned with it that terribly as rockwall reefers have essentially the same layout. I also plan on lots of softies so some excess nutrients would probably be appreciated to some degree.

Also wanna say the tank is now cycled, going to stock very slowly aswell as I am pretty much not in a rush with this thing. I think I lost the battle with my wife on the no clowns in tank thing because my current clown is now residing in the 50 happily enjoying the new space. Will have to get her a buddy here soon.

Got to give her something she likes in the tank for her to support it. :D

Can't wait to see some livestock in this!

Looks like a scape designed by a planted tank enthusiast. Cool to see this sort of styling roll over into the reefing world. I am curious to see how it looks in 6 months with coral and fish.

Keep up the good work!

Awesome looking build so far.

That skimmer is a beast and the aquascape is sweet!

Got to give her something she likes in the tank for her to support it. :D

Can't wait to see some livestock in this!

Looks like a scape designed by a planted tank enthusiast. Cool to see this sort of styling roll over into the reefing world. I am curious to see how it looks in 6 months with coral and fish.

Keep up the good work!

I appreciate the compliments and while I didn't want clowns in the tank I do love my clown mostly because she is a character. Had her for over a year now and she has always ate from my hand which is amusing to say the least. Here she is with her mouth out of the surface of the water.

DSC_6737_zps5c7738f0.jpg

and heres the updated fts with fish

DSC_6706_zps3ec9c774.jpg

Going to wait for the diatoms and a bit of algae before I add a cuc. I don't like bulk cuc's so I plan to pick out a few snails once I am seeing some fuzz. I'll give it a couple weeks before I add her new companion.

Archived