Pod Your Reef

gsgentry's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 Build (Fried Light Pic)

gsgentry

I unpacked my Tunze 9002 this morning and have a round collection cup. I see yours has a rectangle cup. Where did you get that?

I ordered that from Stevie at InTank

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Small-Tunze-Cup-Skinny-Body-Size-JBJCUP.htm

Also, how much tubing will I need to get for the mod?

I would get 2' to be safe. It's only about $0.50 a foot or something.

Lastly, will Lowe's carry that little venturi valve you recommended?

No, the one I have now came from a powerhead. But if you have a Petco or Petsmart near you, they both have air valves that can be used.

This is all you need... I forget which one carry Lees products, but one of them do.

http://www.leesaqpet.com/browsecat/aquatic/airline-control-kit-detail

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much! I have a Petco real close so I will run by there.

I don't remember the skinny cup option when I filled my InTank cart but I ordered this last fall so maybe I just passed on it at the time. Is the skinny cup a lower profile/aesthetic thing or does it serve an additional function (trying to decide if I want to spend the $$)?

Thank you so much! I have a Petco real close so I will run by there.

I don't remember the skinny cup option when I filled my InTank cart but I ordered this last fall so maybe I just passed on it at the time. Is the skinny cup a lower profile/aesthetic thing or does it serve an additional function (trying to decide if I want to spend the $$)?

I am not 100% positive, but I believe it's so the Tunze 9002 fits properly in the sump. I would suggest emailing Stevie to be sure.

I am not 100% positive, but I believe it's so the Tunze 9002 fits properly in the sump. I would suggest emailing Stevie to be sure.

This is correct. Good luck with it and keep us posted!

I unpacked my Tunze 9002 this morning and have a round collection cup. I see yours has a rectangle cup. Where did you get that?

Also, how much tubing will I need to get for the mod?

Lastly, will Lowe's carry that little venturi valve you recommended?

the tubing is about 18in. You can use any type of airline valve the I be gsgentry used came with one of his pumps. I just used a airline valve. And the cup is from Intank it's the small cup that makes it fit inside the chamber it's a beautiful cup!! Stevie t makes some nice stuff if you don't have his media baskets if get those also.

Damn I type slow lol all the other comments happens while I was typing lol

I emailed StevieT and he confirmed that I needed the smaller cup. I will order it today most likely. I already have his media baskets and fuge and they are superior to the stock media baskets. With the airline mod does the 9002 still have a 2 week (or so) break in or is it faster?

Is your heater in the same chamber as your 9002?

With the Tunze 9002 in the middle sump chamber, what water level do you maintain back there? The middle compartment typically would have a lower water level for the "waterfall" effect, but I didn't know if the low water level/waterfall is possible for the Tunze skimmer?

I am just now in the process of setting my 9002 up but I don't think you want to run it in the middle chamber because the changing water level. On my 24 it is supposed (As I understand it) to go in the chamber to the right of the middle (if you are looking at the tank from the front). In my tank I have it set up like this (looking at the tank from the front and going left to right:

First chamber StevieT Media basket

Second chamber StevieT Fuge

Third chamber aka Middle pump chamber ATO sensor

Fourth chamber Tunze 9002 and heater

Fifth chamber StevieT media basket

I am just now in the process of setting my 9002 up but I don't think you want to run it in the middle chamber because the changing water level. On my 24 it is supposed (As I understand it) to go in the chamber to the right of the middle (if you are looking at the tank from the front). In my tank I have it set up like this (looking at the tank from the front and going left to right:

First chamber StevieT Media basket

Second chamber StevieT Fuge

Third chamber aka Middle pump chamber ATO sensor

Fourth chamber Tunze 9002 and heater

Fifth chamber StevieT media basket

That is exactly how I have my setup too.

Thanks guys. Upon further review, the chambers are sized differently on the 24g than they are on the 16g, which is what I have (I thought the 24g's just had a larger/wider middle chamber). For the 16g's, the Tunze 9002 is only possible in the middle chamber, which is a bummer because of the water level dilemma. Even with an ATO, the water level seems like it'd be too low.

Thanks guys. Upon further review, the chambers are sized differently on the 24g than they are on the 16g, which is what I have (I thought the 24g's just had a larger/wider middle chamber). For the 16g's, the Tunze 9002 is only possible in the middle chamber, which is a bummer because of the water level dilemma. Even with an ATO, the water level seems like it'd be too low.

Ahhh.. I thought you had the 24 for some reason. :closedeyes:

Well it's been a productive weekend. The AWC ran on it's own this weekend and worked flawlessly. I made one last modification to the Apex programming to fine tune it and we are good now. VERY happy with how this turned out!!

I did a little wire management to clean things up a little better from all the additional wires and EB8 for the AWC. Considering there are about 100 wires down there, I think it came out pretty good.

IMG_2691_zps63c4cdde.jpg

Also took my daughter to the LFS to pickup her Valentines Day present. She wanted a cleaner shrimp so that is what we got her. :)

DSCN2626_zps1e61967d.jpg

She wanted to get me a Valentines present as well, so who am I to refuse what my daughter wants? LOL So i picked up a neon green birds nest.

IMG_2657_zpsc60a4d07.jpg

Finally decided to pull out the DSLR and play around with taking pictures. I really need to get a macro lens, but figured I would start getting used to it all. Finally got a pic of the fighting conch that I got from John at reef cleaners. He has an amazing shell.

IMG_2664_zpsb3bf0cb7.jpg

And just a couple of pictures of the torch tip and duncan. They are doing great so far. Torch tip picture was taken during the day and lights on regular. The duncan picture was taken while the lights were in blue mode and ramping down for the evening.

238962d8-9892-4ae6-9aac-35f5a3ff381f_zps

IMG_2678_zps01452ebb.jpg

We received some more hermits and some chaeto from reef cleaners on Friday. I have a few odds and ends coming in on Tuesday, but also have the JBJ Fuge Light coming to light the chaeto. I plan on running opposite cycle and see how that works out. Thinking it may smooth out the pH swings a little.

Well that's about it for now. I am selling my old lights, so once I get those sold I am going to purchase a MP10 for the tank. Probably pick up a Spectrapure RO/DI soon too. Then I should be finally set and time to just buy corals. :)

Would like to know how your fuge lighting works out as well, specifically the reverse cycle. I just completed building a small fuge for a new build I'm working on right now and my issue is that i am using my Control 4 automation system to control my light cycle for each of my three tanks. Each Control 4 module only has 2 separate outputs. Each tank has my dual leds running 12 hours during the day and moonlights turning on 1 hour before and turning off @ midnight. Im wondering what i will loose by running them that way, i know i will loose the ph balance but will i loose anything else? Was also thinking of just doing them 24/7 but i don't know how plants would react to that?

In all my research, pH is the only thing I can remember reading about.

So yesterday for example, I went from 8.18 during the day as my max but then it dropped to 8.06 currently. Though that is probably not a big deal, I am hoping that adding the fuge light on opposite cycle will either keep it at 8.18 or minimize the drop. I will be sure to report back the results.

I would not worry about that drop. I sometimes can dip into 7.9 with no ill results.

Great update Greg.

-Dave

WOW... A famous person stopped by my build thread!! ;)

Thanks Dave. The way I see it, it is what it is... just thought the chaeto light may stabilize it. Doesn't matter as I need the light anyway. :)

Very cool idea for the automatic water change. Color me impressed!

It works amazing!!! Very clean and maintenance free. The only thing I have to do is add salt in the morning and then use my utility pump to pump out the old water. Both steps take about 5 minutes and there is no mess!! :)

I would be happy to help you if you ever wanted to build one.

It works amazing!!! Very clean and maintenance free. The only thing I have to do is add salt in the morning and then use my utility pump to pump out the old water. Both steps take about 5 minutes and there is no mess!! :)

I would be happy to help you if you ever wanted to build one.

I might do that! However with a new baby coming any week now and two toddlers I'm lucky to even be thinking about putting new lights on my tank much less setting up an AWC :D .

How much are you selling your old lights for? Not sure I want to go with 3 IM lights, but I'm considering it...I'd only need one.

I don't have an IM light.. .I had the Ecoxotic 36" Marine LED. Selling them for $175 shipped.

It would be too wide for your Nuvo 16 though.

I don't have an IM light.. .I had the Ecoxotic 36" Marine LED. Selling them for $175 shipped.

It would be too wide for your Nuvo 16 though.

I have seen a lot of the stock im 8 watt lights for sale cheap in the equipment forums & ebay, what about adding more of them and keep the look. I added a second one for my Nuvo 8, have great growth with most of my sps/lps.

hmm..

I have seen a lot of the stock im 8 watt lights for sale cheap in the equipment forums & ebay, what about adding more of them and keep the look. I added a second one for my Nuvo 8, have great growth with most of my sps/lps.

May be I should list mine for sale, unused :)

I would list mine on here but with it being the 36" model, I really don't feel like dealing with shipping... :(

Of course, unless someone really wanted it then I would go ahead and send it. LOL That money is going towards my MP10!!

Archived