Cultivated Reef

gsgentry's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 Build (Fried Light Pic)

gsgentry

It's about time! :) I can't believe you bought an Apex before RO/DI. I would have gone crazy going to a LFS that much. Water changes are so much more simple when you have a home RO set up.

One tip, we mix the salt and water for a while and don't use a heater to get the temp up. We just take 1 cup of RO/DI and heat it to a boil in the microwave and pour in the bucket and monitor the temp. If it is a bit warm we will turn the pump off til the temp comes down. If cool we add a bit more hot water. My wife has got this down to a science at this stage. Just remember to take a final reading with refractometer if you add water to your mix.

I have an AWC though that turns the power head and heater on automatically. Lol

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess you can say I like gadget! Lol This hobby has been great and you all have been a great help to me. Be it supporting or answering questions or just giving an option, so thanks!! :)

Just a few new pictures...

Rastas - Had 3 polyps and now has an additional 3 growing in just about 2 weeks.

IMG_2953_zpseee34b64.jpg

Zoa Island

IMG_2961_zps061b5772.jpg

Birdsnest is doing great and loving the MP10

IMG_2959_zps31f58ebd.jpg

FTS

IMG_2966_zps68a171bc.jpg

Lovin' the zoa island!

Do you have your LR bridge on the right epoxied?

No... I am needing to do something with it though. Every time I wipe the back of the tank down, I bump it and it shifts some. The small round cap on the top right was glued with super glue gel many of times but it keeps coming off. Need to figure out what is the best thing to use since the rock is obviously wet. Any ideas?

No... I am needing to do something with it though. Every time I wipe the back of the tank down, I bump it and it shifts some. The small round cap on the top right was glued with super glue gel many of times but it keeps coming off. Need to figure out what is the best thing to use since the rock is obviously wet. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, no, I can't offer any advice here. None of my rock was secured in any fashion and it's something I've never looked in to. Thinking ahead to a future tank, I like the idea of a large bridge/swim through, so it just caught my eye.

Whatever you end up doing with it, as always, keep the thread posted! Thanks!

Unfortunately, no, I can't offer any advice here. None of my rock was secured in any fashion and it's something I've never looked in to. Thinking ahead to a future tank, I like the idea of a large bridge/swim through, so it just caught my eye.

Whatever you end up doing with it, as always, keep the thread posted! Thanks!

I will for sure. I'll need to figure something out soon before I get more SPS up on that side.

Forgot to mention my black pico shield finally showed up today. I was able to move my MP10 up almost to the very top of the water and turn it up to 50% now with no issues on the surface of the water, or with the sand.

Also spoke with Innovative Marine and I have a new chamber for the broken reactor coming. I'm going to be removing the fuge light and chaeto and place the mid size reactor in there. I'll run carbon in this one and the GFO will stay in the other reactor. Then I can ditch the chemipure elite (which seems to restrict flow on that media basket anyways).

Steensj2004

All your updates make me see I'm slacking on my build thread I'll have to do a big update soon

Lol, at least you guys have your lights! I am dying here waiting for my DUO, been a month today... Ready to start stocking too...lol

Lol, at least you guys have your lights! I am dying here waiting for my DUO, been a month today... Ready to start stocking too...lol

Be patient... it will come and will be so worth it!!!

The LFS ordered 2 ORA Naked Clownfish for us and they arrived yesterday. He said they look great!! It has been 6.5 weeks since we started the QT tank and it still has to finish processing the Nitrites. It's down to 5ppm now, but still a little way to go. I put a used filter floss from my DT tank in there to assist with additional bacteria to process out the remaining Nitrites. Hopefully this will finish it off and we can go pick up our first fish.

A couple of packages arrived today. :)

First we have the black casing for my Storm X light controller, the temp probe that plugs into the light controller (will be used for the new saltwater in my AWC) and some bad ass NanoBox swag (aka microfiber towel)!!! And a bunch of business card that I gave out at the strip club tonight. I introduced myself as Dave to all the women. LOL

IMG_2986_zps6598e46d.jpg

And got some goodies from BRS today as well. Removed the fuge light and chaeto and placed my midsize reactor in that chamber. Running carbon in it and still GFO in my other reactor.

IMG_2990_zps1e5b0e0c.jpg

I will get some pics of the reactors in the next few days.

The purple rock that is in my tank, the real rock (or whatever it is called) has been growing some cotton looking crap on it lately. It went away and came back. That rock came from a dumpy LFS but I didn't want any pests and needed to seed my base rock. So tomorrow, I am looking at pulling those 2 pieces out and putting some extra base rock in. Freaking aquascaping again... my favorite. NOT!

I introduced myself as Dave to all the women. LOL

LOL!

You should have told them to text you. ;) That would have made for a good showing.

LOL!

You should have told them to text you. ;) That would have made for a good showing.

Now that would have been funny!!!!!

Still looking great Greg. Any plans for fish?

-Dave

LFS ordered 2 ORA Naked Clownfish and they are holding them until the QT is ready. From there, not real sure. Daughter wants a purple dottyback too.

When I started the tank originally, I purchased some of that "Real Reef Rock" from a LFS to seed the base rock. This was to make sure I didn't get any unwanted creatures. Well since the tank has come along, I noticed some "stuff" growing on this rock. I have also read it leaches phosphates really bad. So instead of risking it, I decided to remove it and replace with some leftover base rock that I had.

I moved everything over a little so I would have room to clean the glass on that side and it also gave my torch tip a little extra room. Also got to mount my duncans the way I had been wanting them. Win win all the way around. :)

Old rock with whatever growing on it

IMG_6494_zps396c7614.jpg

Revised "Zoa Island"

IMG_3005_zps06ce4d8e.jpg

Updated FTS

IMG_2999_zps9ac017ef.jpg

Duncan looks good now that it's opened back up. Maybe I should send you all my pics and you can update my thread I'm to lazy ..... Or maybe I spend to much time at fish stores and messing with my tank

Duncan looks good now that it's opened back up. Maybe I should send you all my pics and you can update my thread I'm to lazy ..... Or maybe I spend to much time at fish stores and messing with my tank

Ya I think I saw your thread about 7 pages back. Slacker!! :)

Steensj2004

To much time!? Psssh, as if that is possible...lol

Archived