Top Shelf Aquatics

gsgentry's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 Build (Fried Light Pic)

gsgentry

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good looking zoa collection! Any secret to taking them off the plugs? I always want to do that, but end up getting scared away from the idea.

They were freshly fragged and glued which helped, but I simply took an exacto knife and slowly/gently went between the plug and old glue. Somewhat of a sawing motion. Some popped off immediately and others took a little more work, but I did all 6 and glued then to my rocks in about 15 minutes. Wasn't difficult at all. I plan on doing this with everything I can. :)

What kind of glue are you using? I tried with Superglue and really didn't work under water.

It would be great if you can share the brand you are using. Thank you

Legendary Corals

Thank you!!! It has taken a lot of planning, time and money to build... but I am extremely happy with the results. It has been an extremely fun journey!! Going to push this thing to TOTM one day!!! ;)

I see this tank as TOTM for sure! Loving it already and the zoa direction it's going. :wub:

What kind of glue are you using? I tried with Superglue and really didn't work under water. It would be great if you can share the brand you are using. Thank you
Try the gel type... Once you glue something and get it wet, a skin will form over the glue. Thus giving you a little time to work with it. Then just mount whatever it is and hold it there for 15 seconds or so to let it set. It's not as fast as super glueing a model plane or something of that nature. Also, most LFS sell IC Gel which is what many people use, including myself. Let me know if you have any problems.

I see this tank as TOTM for sure! Loving it already and the zoa direction it's going. :wub:
Glad you like it and thank you for the kind words!!! :)

Well Christmas arrived today. Just a few pics of my new toy! :)

The box...

IMG_2857_zps011e99d7.jpg

The contents...

IMG_2871_zps1cb5de74.jpg

More wires, UGH!!!

IMG_2893_zps1b2e4b78.jpg

Side shot...

IMG_2881_zps3644ea4f.jpg

My initial thoughts are... WOW!! This thing is pretty slick. Ya, they are expensive but dang it is amazing!!! There is just so much it can do. Still tinkering with it though to find the sweet spot. :)

I've got mine centered (but see you have rock structure there) and maybe slightly higher than you and I get good movement on my Nuvo. The pico shield really helps and allows you to put the MP10 a lot higher in the tank than you normally would be able to. I've recently started dosing 2 part as well and having the MP10 higher in the tank makes it easier to pour and distribute Ca and Alk. I pour it slowly into the tank so the intake picks it up and shoots it out like they demonstrate in the BRS video. it's more difficult to do when using the pico shield but I still manage to get it in around the sides. When the wife allows me to buy a doser this last point will be irrelevant though. Still nice for now.

I've got mine centered (but see you have rock structure there) and maybe slightly higher than you and I get good movement on my Nuvo. The pico shield really helps and allows you to put the MP10 a lot higher in the tank than you normally would be able to.

I put mine towards the front because of the rocks, but also on that side because that is where the SPS will be going. If it were on the other side, I don't think the SPS would get the flow they need. You think it;s a good place for it with that being said?

My Acros are located no further than half way across the tank from where my Mp10 is. I have an ORA red planet, prostrata, and green slimer closest to the wet side as it seems like they like the strongest flow. My miami orchid, tortousa, teal stag, and red mille are just a bit further away. I do have a standard red monti cap frag temporarily placed on the far side of the tank just to see if any kind of SPS will do OK. Side note: I REALLY need to update my build thread, ugh. If you have some string you could clamp a piece or use a mag float to suspend it against the far side wall. Do the same on the side with the Mp 10, and again in the middle. The string will show you how strong and in what direction your flow is at different parts of the tank. I basically plopped my SPS frags right where there was a good mix of strong intermittent flow from the MP10 and random currents from my spin streams. I also have a frogspawn that I moved around a couple places. The places it didn't like (flow wise) to me was a good indication of where to put my SPS. My frogspawn is now happily located in the front corner at the opposite side of the Mp10. Still gets some nice currents moving through but not being blown around like a palm tree in a hurricane.

While playing with the MP10, I have come to the conclusion that it is overkill for this tank. At least with my setup and aquascape. Its located at the top part of the tank, and at 30% power, it is still blowing sand around and rolling the crabs over. LOL I have a black pico shield coming so that will help slow the flow in one direction anyways. I even tried it on the left again today, but it just blew my duncan and zoas all over. I am going to leave it where it is for now, but then I will play with it more when I get the pico shield next week. If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. I could use some help on this one.

Moved the zoas up this morning and the crabs were already knocking them down. Plus I didn't care for the look of them being on my little rocks much. So I fragged them off and mourned them to my live rock where their new homes will be. I spread them out so they can grow and fill in over time. I did notice that my Rastas has 2 additional polyps coming in. One of them I didn't even notice until I had my heavy blues on tonight. Pretty excited about that. :)

The ammonia from the QT tank has been gone for over a week, so I tested for Nitrites today and there are still a ton. Guess QT is going to take a lot longer than I thought. Next week when I replace my filter pads in my DT, I am going to take one and put it in the QT to try and help the bacteria. We will see if it helps.

Steensj2004

Congrats on your MP10, I cannot live without mine. I am suprised you are having problems with the power? I run mine up very high in my Nuvo 16, somewhere around 60% I would say? BTW, Coral Logic is AMAZING....fun story.....you know Matt who works there? Well, he invited me to Lynch's Pub to see his band playl ast night. I decided to check it out, ended up drinking with the owner of Coral Logic, getting my face melted(as promised by Matt) by his band, Dirty Pete. They are killer people! Thanks for the lead,hahah!

Steensj2004

Yeah, I had a friggin BLAST! The lame part is now I had so much fun last night I am trying to figure out something to do tonight that won't seem lame,hahaha

Be careful drinking at the beaches if you go back. Cops are strict down there. There are a ton of little bars around Town Center. Also, Jacksonville ale house on southside blvd is cool place to kick back.

Be sure to check out Bio-Reef before you leave too. It's not as nice and as clean as Coral Logic, but they have way more corals and fish.

Steensj2004

Be careful drinking at the beaches if you go back. Cops are strict down there. There are a ton of little bars around Town Center. Also, Jacksonville ale house on southside blvd is cool place to kick back.

Be sure to check out Bio-Reef before you leave too. It's not as nice and as clean as Coral Logic, but they have way more corals and fish.

Yeah, I am staying on the beach at this point, so I walk everywhere! lol. We may be doing nothing for work today because of the rain....If so I will probably go over and check Bio out.Thanks! How you like that MP10? I am dying to get back home and start stocking my tank

Steensj2004

You have the ultimate Nuvo!

-Dave

I'd have a pretty sweet one too......If I ever got my light..... ;) I am dying over here Dave, I need my shiney goodness like GSGentry over here :lol: .

Ever get your MP10 set in Gentry? I absolutely LOVE mine, can't be beat in my opinion! Seeing your takn makes me halfway regret not going with the 24 :rolleyes:

Ever get your MP10 set in Gentry? I absolutely LOVE mine, can't be beat in my opinion! Seeing your takn makes me halfway regret not going with the 24 :rolleyes:

I don't even want to hear it!! Lol I tried telling you!! :)

As far as the MP10... I have it almost there. My pico shield will be here today and I think I'll be able to fine tune it then. It's a great powerhead, just not able to turn it up much yet.

Steensj2004

I don't even want to hear it!! Lol I tried telling you!! :)

As far as the MP10... I have it almost there. My pico shield will be here today and I think I'll be able to fine tune it then. It's a great powerhead, just not able to turn it up much yet.

Haha, I know, I Know.The 24 is just much to large for where the tank is. Hoping to take some stuff back Tuesday from Bio-Reef.

So a little update here...

We have been battling a little bit of brown algae/diatoms lately. Nothing has changed so I wasn't sure of what the source was. Figure it was time to go ahead and buy the MiniMax reactor since I have been wanting one anyways. Picked up some Rowaphos to run in it and figured this will help. If anything, it would be a nice preventative measure.

Package

IMG_2918_zpsc34f70c8.jpg

Contents

IMG_2924_zpsbe21ec52.jpg

This is a great little unit that seems to be pretty nicely made. So I load up the Rowaphos and go to install it. Guess again... It didn't fit. I could not understand why, as I checked the skimmer dimensions (w/ magnet) and the dimensions on the reactor and the dimensions of the chamber it is going in. I couldn't understand why.

Frustrated, I decided that I was going to pull the skimmer out and remove the magnet, then re-glue it on the side. I figured this would also help with my waterfall noise in the tank. So it was a win win. So I set the reactor on the counter and go back to the tank to remove the skimmer. Suddenly I hear a crash and look back in the kitchen... I see the princess running with the reactor pump cord wrapped around her and the reactor tubes were on the floor... and you guessed it.... BROKEN!!!

IMG_6423_zpsf028c64c.jpg

The crack goes almost around the entire outer tube. You can also see the handle is missing from the inner tube top. Needless to say, I was fuming. Just dropped over $100 on this and it lasted 20 minutes. I cleaned up and immediately went to bed. Bad night!!

GUILTY ^*&%*#%!!!!!!

IMG_2945_zps20fd9d21.jpg

So the next day I called Innovative Marine. Thought I would explain what happened and see if they sold the outer chambers. Come to find out they do, but they just didn't have any in stock and weren't sure when they would get more.

So I went back and looked at the dimensions of everything again, then the lightbulb finally went off... I had the Midsize reactor and not the Desktop reactor. Went online and you can clearly tell by looking at the pumps. To make matters worse, I thought my LFS jacked me but the box actually has the UPC sticker for the Desktop model. (So if your looking for a reactor, be sure to open the box and look to make sure it's the right one inside).

Ended up going back to my LFS this weekend and purchased the "right" one this time. LFS said if I get a new outer tube from IM, and kept my receipt, they would give me a store credit for it. Pretty nice as they really didn't have to do that.

So all is well with the world now... providing I can get the outer tube from IM sometime in the near future. Because as it stands, I have a $240 desktop reactor in my tank!!!! :closedeyes:

Got tired of running to the LFS for stupid RO/DI water... so I took the plunge!!! I am an official reefer now!! LOL

IMG_2936_zps77eaf5be.jpg

I mounted it on the wall above my washer machine and put a "Y" on my cold water feed line that goes to the washer. Has a little valve that I can turn on and off for the RO/DI unit. The waste water goes right in the drain where the washers waster water goes. Very simple and clean install. (Yes, I am aware it is over a power outlet and I will shut the breaker off before changing the filters) LOL

IMG_2951_zps10005222.jpg

This is the remanufactured unit from Spectrapure that they have on their website. It's the 90GPD MaxPure model. The unit has to be brand new. There is not a dent, scratch or a blemish on it. The build sticker even states it was built on 2/20/14. Great deal for $129!!!

For those who want to know, much like I did, I had 303ppm TDS from my tap water. Now this things churns out 0ppm TDS!! Perfect water!! So happy with this purchase!!

Got tired of running to the LFS for stupid RO/DI water... so I took the plunge!!! I am an official reefer now!! LOL

It's about time! :) I can't believe you bought an Apex before RO/DI. I would have gone crazy going to a LFS that much. Water changes are so much more simple when you have a home RO set up.

One tip, we mix the salt and water for a while and don't use a heater to get the temp up. We just take 1 cup of RO/DI and heat it to a boil in the microwave and pour in the bucket and monitor the temp. If it is a bit warm we will turn the pump off til the temp comes down. If cool we add a bit more hot water. My wife has got this down to a science at this stage. Just remember to take a final reading with refractometer if you add water to your mix.

Archived