ReefCleaners.org

gsgentry's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 Build (Fried Light Pic)

gsgentry

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure you will all find buyers for them or just repurpose them for something else. I purchased the 4 watt pico stock led real cheap, modified it to fit inside a hob stock filter that i retrofitted to be a fuge on another build I'm doing, just put in the cheato today, will see how the growth is in a week as well as how it changed, if any, my chemistry.

Just playing around with the DSLR again and took a few pictures today. Finally got one of the emerald crab as he was feasting on the scarlet hermit that I think he murdered. LOL

IMG_2698_zpsb53083c8.jpg

IMG_2702_zps832868da.jpg

IMG_2703_zps4210a914.jpg

Don't even worry about the hermit, they get what they deserve. Someone pointed out to me in my thread that the blue legged hermits are snail killers and since then I've seen him going after my Cerith a few times. I might just go to an all snail clean up crew in the near future.

Also, I love the scarlet skunk! He looks just like mine. I like seeing his antenna from across the room as he scurries across the rocks. Great addition to the tank.

Yes, the shrimp is great!! High five to my daughter for picking it out. Adds so much more life to the tank since I am fishless thus far.

All of the crabs seem to start fights, especially the blue legged ones. They fights the scarlet hermits, snails and just about everything. This past weekend I saw blug legged right a snail over a piece of mysis. LOL

I find it all humorous actually. :)

Got my White Tubastrea and Sun Polyps in today. :) And a pic of the emerald crab since he is coming out more. LOL

IMG_2718_zpscd97ebae.jpg

IMG_2708_zps9e502966.jpg

IMG_2713_zpsf8b40aea.jpg

They have only been in the tank a few hours and haven't open up yet, but just wanted to share. I will get better pics in the next few days.

So I found out today that my local reef club had a PAR Meter that they loan out. I contacted them and it happen to be in stock, so I went after work to pick it up so I could do some readings on my lights to better assist me in placing corals.

The unit is an Apogee Quantum Plus MQ-200. It even came with a piece of acrylic that someone made to screw the sensor on, which made taking the readings so much easier.

I tested at 4 different settings of my light. The first number is at 25% power, the second number is 50% power, 75% power and the last number is 100% power. I am no light expert, but I believe these are some pretty darn strong numbers. Maybe someone like Dave or Jedi can chime in as they know way more about this type of thing.

IMG_2733_zpse93c1e13.jpg

ScreenShot2014-02-20at73719PM_zpsa505d45

And finally an updated FTS

IMG_2738_zpsf811f50b.jpg

So I found out today that my local reef club had a PAR Meter that they loan out. I contacted them and it happen to be in stock, so I went after work to pick it up so I could do some readings on my lights to better assist me in placing corals.

The unit is an Apogee Quantum Plus MQ-200. It even came with a piece of acrylic that someone made to screw the sensor on, which made taking the readings so much easier.

I tested at 4 different settings of my light. The first number is at 25% power, the second number is 50% power, 75% power and the last number is 100% power. I am no light expert, but I believe these are some pretty darn strong numbers. Maybe someone like Dave or Jedi can chime in as they know way more about this type of thing.

IMG_2733_zpse93c1e13.jpg

ScreenShot2014-02-20at73719PM_zpsa505d45

And finally an updated FTS

IMG_2738_zpsf811f50b.jpg

That light fixture... *swoon*

Quick update... QT tank is at 0pmm ammonia. So probably about a week it will process the remaining nitrites and we will finally get some fish in there to prep to be put in the DT. Hoping the LFS still has these 2 ORA naked clownfish.

Do you quarantine all your live stocks(fish and Inverts)?

I dip corals but don't quarantine them. I will be putting all fish in QT though.

Just wanted to say thanks for the mesh screen measurements. I made my screen top this weekend and your thread really helped save me some time. I've kind of been MIA on my nuvo build thread but will update soon. I've added a bunch of stuff but am waiting on a minimax reactor and I have about 8 frags that have been recovering on a rack for a couple weeks. Once I get things mounted and make the tank pretty I'll update my thread. Yours looks great so far!

Just wanted to say thanks for the mesh screen measurements. I made my screen top this weekend and your thread really helped save me some time. I've kind of been MIA on my nuvo build thread but will update soon. I've added a bunch of stuff but am waiting on a minimax reactor and I have about 8 frags that have been recovering on a rack for a couple weeks. Once I get things mounted and make the tank pretty I'll update my thread. Yours looks great so far!

Glad I was able to help. The screen is great!!! You will love it!!

The white tubastrea is finally coming out during the day, so I took a better picture of what he really looks like.

IMG_2755_zps8fc4a6b7.jpg

Also, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my MP10 today! :) Pretty excited to get that in there.

Thanks!! Yep... still going at it. Slowing down on the hardware side though. Got a couple of updates coming this weekend. I also got some zoas in yesterday that I will be posting as well. :)

Legendary Corals
The white tubastrea is finally coming out during the day, so I took a better picture of what he really looks like.

IMG_2755_zps8fc4a6b7.jpg

Also, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered my MP10 today! :) Pretty excited to get that in there.

Getting new equipment feels like Christmas!

Getting new equipment feels like Christmas!

Yes it does!! And tomorrow is Christmas!! LOL

But I still like getting corals better. I guess because the equipment is mostly done. :) Now to get more and more color in there!!! Ill have to check out your site. Maybe you guys can help with that. ;)

Just got some zoas yesterday from "jr973". Great guy to deal with. Anyways, I fragged them off the plugs that they came in on and put them on some small rock pieces. I did this because.... A.) It looks better B.) the rock pieces I used are even smaller than a frag plug.

I need to get better at taking these pictures and get a macro lens too, but that is a whole another story.

Rastas, Tangelos & Time Machines (these dang Time Machines are tiny)

IMG_2842_zpsd1ecdb7b.jpg

Sunny D's, Red Hornets & Rastas (crabs were walking around messing with them and made the front polyps go in)

IMG_2839_zps640cd474.jpg

Vivid Rainbows and Sunny D's

IMG_2836_zps85cee74a.jpg

Vivid Rainbow and Sunny D's (you can see the coralline growing nicely on this base rock already in the background)

IMG_2835_zps6f3861d9.jpg

Red Hornets, Rastas & Tangelos (Regular Lighting)

IMG_2832_zpsfd447b5d.jpg

Vivid Rainbows & Sunny D's (under regular lighting they still look great without all the blue lights which is what I wanted)

IMG_2825_zps0203b74d.jpg

I have everything on the bottom right now to let them adjust to the lights. I will then move them gradually to the rocks that I want them on.

I did notice that the Rastas has a 4th polyp that has extended out. I did not see this yesterday. I assume it will open soon. Still new to zoas... but I like them!!! :)

Also I wanted to include some regular pictures because you don't see those often. People need to know what these things look like. LOL But they do look so much better under the blues. ;)

Legendary Corals

Yes it does!! And tomorrow is Christmas!! LOL

But I still like getting corals better. I guess because the equipment is mostly done. :) Now to get more and more color in there!!! Ill have to check out your site. Maybe you guys can help with that. ;)

Haha, definitely can help there! But don't mind me, I'm just admiring this tank build. :)

Haha, definitely can help there! But don't mind me, I'm just admiring this tank build. :)

Thank you!!! It has taken a lot of planning, time and money to build... but I am extremely happy with the results. It has been an extremely fun journey!! Going to push this thing to TOTM one day!!! ;)

Archived