Cultivated Reef

gsgentry's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 Build (Fried Light Pic)

gsgentry

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, yeah. I am at a standstill with my build until the rest of my stuff gets here. Yours is looking great!

Me or akaeding? LOL

If you are talking to me, thanks! If you are talking to him, you guys get a room! LOL

Me or akaeding? LOL

If you are talking to me, thanks! If you are talking to him, you guys get a room! LOL

At least have something that swims lol

How's the two reactors working?

How's the two reactors working?

They are great!! Tank seems to be running well and very happy!! And I will have fish this weekend... just in QT. LOL

Steensj2004

They are great!! Tank seems to be running well and very happy!! And I will have fish this weekend... just in QT. LOL

I anticipate throwing two micro reactors into mine in the near future....I have mixed feelings about small refugiums to begin with....I anticipate little benifit from adding one this small into my Nuvo....Time will tell I suppose. Anybody(Gsgentry or Akaeding) care to share exactly what punps you are using for your AWC? Are you guys using a dosing pump or just maxijets?

I anticipate throwing two micro reactors into mine in the near future....I have mixed feelings about small refugiums to begin with....I anticipate little benifit from adding one this small into my Nuvo....Time will tell I suppose. Anybody(Gsgentry or Akaeding) care to share exactly what punps you are using for your AWC? Are you guys using a dosing pump or just maxijets?

My thought process is that an extra 1/2 gallon water change each week on your Nuvo 16 would export more nitrates than that small of a fuge ever could in a week. Just a thought.

I am using the Hydor Seltz 185 L20 pumps for my AWC.

Steensj2004

My thought process is that an extra 1/2 gallon water change each week on your Nuvo 16 would export more nitrates than that small of a fuge ever could in a week. Just a thought.

I am using the Hydor Seltz 185 L20 pumps for my AWC.

Right, I already plan on a 5-8 gallon a week waterchange. I maintained most my water quality with large water changes on my 75 gallon before. But I suppose a bit of macro wouldn't hurt.

Did you program for a continuous cycle over a period of time? IE the system turns on on say Tueday, and runs for an hour until the 5 gallons(or whatever amount) is changed out? Or just a slow in an out 24/7...?

Right, I already plan on a 5-8 gallon a week waterchange. I maintained most my water quality with large water changes on my 75 gallon before. But I suppose a bit of macro wouldn't hurt.

Did you program for a continuous cycle over a period of time? IE the system turns on on say Tueday, and runs for an hour until the 5 gallons(or whatever amount) is changed out? Or just a slow in an out 24/7...?

Macro won't hurt at all... but in our small AIO tanks, the space can be utilized for something more "useful" in my opinion, like a reactor.

My AWC comes on automatically. Currently every Saturday morning at 9:00 am. The new saltwater tank comes on at 5:00 am and starts mixing and heater the water prior to the water change happening. I can set it up to do a little each day or whatever, but chose this route for now. I have sensors in the old water tank that will shut it off if it fills up too much and a sensor in the new water tank that shuts it off if there is no water left. I also get txt messages and emails when any of these switches are triggered.

Steensj2004

Macro won't hurt at all... but in our small AIO tanks, the space can be utilized for something more "useful" in my opinion, like a reactor.

My AWC comes on automatically. Currently every Saturday morning at 9:00 am. The new saltwater tank comes on at 5:00 am and starts mixing and heater the water prior to the water change happening. I can set it up to do a little each day or whatever, but chose this route for now. I have sensors in the old water tank that will shut it off if it fills up too much and a sensor in the new water tank that shuts it off if there is no water left. I also get txt messages and emails when any of these switches are triggered.

I absoultely agree....From my experience unless the refugium is about1/4 the size of the display you see little advantage. I will likely ditch for a reactor,as I mentioned before. Waiting on my Wireless Bridge so I can hook up my net wirelessly,I cannot wait.

I was really considering a AWC, but for a 16 gallon tank it almost seems pointless, like the fuge basket to me....

I absoultely agree....From my experience unless the refugium is about1/4 the size of the display you see little advantage. I will likely ditch for a reactor,as I mentioned before. Waiting on my Wireless Bridge so I can hook up my net wirelessly,I cannot wait.

I was really considering a AWC, but for a 16 gallon tank it almost seems pointless, like the fuge basket to me....

A fuge is nice, but I would rather have the 2nd reactor. I am doing approx 4.5 gallon water changes weekly on approx. 20 gallons of water volume, so nitrates should not be an issue at all. If the do climb up, I will just hit a button and run another water change. LOL :)

Steensj2004

Hahah, don't you love the near-cocky nature that comes with the endless possibilities when you have a controller.....hahaha :lol:

What kinda Clown-skis yah getting? Going to LFS tonight to grab some chaeto(InTank stuff will be here tonight), 5 gallons for a pre-stocking water change, and maybe some livestock. looking to see what he has, but likely grab SOMETHING to put in this thing :rolleyes: .

Hahah, don't you love the near-cocky nature that comes with the endless possibilities when you have a controller.....hahaha :lol:

What kinda Clown-skis yah getting? Going to LFS tonight to grab some chaeto(InTank stuff will be here tonight), 5 gallons for a pre-stocking water change, and maybe some livestock. looking to see what he has, but likely grab SOMETHING to put in this thing :rolleyes: .

2 Naked Clowns...

I'm using pumps I found on eBay :) I'm cheap on done stuff lol it ended up visting me 35 bucks for all the pumps and that's including a spare just incase.

I'm trying the fuge and one reactor at some point. My hope it to try to turn my fuge into a home for pods to breed but I don't see it being big enough

Steensj2004

2 Naked Clowns...

Ooooo, nice! Can't wait to see.

I'm using pumps I found on eBay :) I'm cheap on done stuff lol it ended up visting me 35 bucks for all the pumps and that's including a spare just incase.

I'm trying the fuge and one reactor at some point. My hope it to try to turn my fuge into a home for pods to breed but I don't see it being big enough

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I currently have pods ALL over my glass as there is nothing to eat/kill them off,haha. That will soon end as I am about to head to my LFS for some stuffs in a minute. Hoping to get a fish and some inverts. He usually has some good inverts, hopefully he has some sexy shrimp and pom-poms!

Dave said I should have my light this week so hopefully I am not much farther behind you all with the coral,lol.

As promised, I snapped a few photos of the reactors in the tank. I received the replacement chamber for the midsize reactor today and installed it. Enjoy!

Midsize Reactor running Carbon

IMG_3040_zps77cedec8.jpg

Desktop Reactor running GFO

IMG_3036_zps5fd1fc2c.jpg

View of both from just atop the tank

IMG_3041_zpsc3865731.jpg

Back View

IMG_3050_zpsa74a0b58.jpg

I got signed up into the Apex Fusion Beta Program this past weekend. For those of you who are using the Apex, the control is amazing!!

It is all "cloud" based and can be accessed anywhere in the World without any special configuration or setup. Being cloud based, it automatically backs up your settings and data too. The dashboard is all drag and drop which is great to put everything where you want it. The graphs are simply amazing as you can hover over any point and it will tell you the time and date of that point and what the setting is. They also allow you to overlay one graph over another. You can also give permissions to another Fusion user and allow them certain control. This is great for troubleshooting a friends system or having someone watch over things while you are on vacation.

Couldn't be happier, and best of all... it's FREE!!!

Dashboard

84f118bf-247c-4dd8-9714-7df2f894848b_zps

Graphs

ScreenShot2014-03-18at74633PM_zps2919069

Temp and pH Graph Overlays

ScreenShot2014-03-18at75805PM_zpsf99f919

Graph w/ date, time and setting example

ScreenShot2014-03-18at75850PM_zps4a1bbe9

User Permission Screen

ScreenShot2014-03-18at75730PM_zps5d154a3

As promised, I snapped a few photos of the reactors in the tank. I received the replacement chamber for the midsize reactor today and installed it. Enjoy!

Midsize Reactor running Carbon

IMG_3040_zps77cedec8.jpg

Desktop Reactor running GFO

IMG_3036_zps5fd1fc2c.jpg

View of both from just atop the tank

IMG_3041_zpsc3865731.jpg

Back View

IMG_3050_zpsa74a0b58.jpg

ah ha! So another reactor can fit next to the skimmer in that same chamber. I have another desktop ready to go but haven't attempted to put it in the tank yet because I wasn't sure it would fit. Looks like I'll go ahead now. Question for you. I have GFO running in my current IM reactor and have BRS ROX carbon for the second one I will set up when the carbon in my chemipure elite bags is used up in a couple weeks. What are you planning on putting in the InTank baskets now? Just floss? I need to do some more research. Maybe it would still be worth it to keep using floss and purigen.

ah ha! So another reactor can fit next to the skimmer in that same chamber. I have another desktop ready to go but haven't attempted to put it in the tank yet because I wasn't sure it would fit. Looks like I'll go ahead now. Question for you. I have GFO running in my current IM reactor and have BRS ROX carbon for the second one I will set up when the carbon in my chemipure elite bags is used up in a couple weeks. What are you planning on putting in the InTank baskets now? Just floss? I need to do some more research. Maybe it would still be worth it to keep using floss and purigen.

Yes... but ONLY the Desktop will fit in with the Tunze Skimmer, without having to modify the magnet on the skimmer.

I pulled the Chemipure Elite out totally and just run filter floss in both sides and Purigen on one side.

Yes... but ONLY the Desktop will fit in with the Tunze Skimmer, without having to modify the magnet on the skimmer.

I pulled the Chemipure Elite out totally and just run filter floss in both sides and Purigen on one side.

I didn't even realize the midsize would fit at all. I ended up getting 2 desktop reactors. I think there will be plenty of room in the desktop. I have the BRS high capacity granular gfo and you only need a couple spoonfuls, given the size of our tanks. If carbon and GFO expired at the same time I'd probably just run both in one desktop reactor with a sponge in the middle.

I think I will keep one bag of purigen going as well. I'd be interested to see if anyone runs any other chemical combo other than GFO, Carbon, and Purigen.

I didn't even realize the midsize would fit at all. I ended up getting 2 desktop reactors. I think there will be plenty of room in the desktop. I have the BRS high capacity granular gfo and you only need a couple spoonfuls, given the size of our tanks. If carbon and GFO expired at the same time I'd probably just run both in one desktop reactor with a sponge in the middle.

I think I will keep one bag of purigen going as well. I'd be interested to see if anyone runs any other chemical combo other than GFO, Carbon, and Purigen.

The midzise is a tight fit when the bracket is installed, but nothing needs to be forced or anything. :)

Steensj2004

I am aching to try out some Bio-pellets in my micro system. I would have to then run a skimmer, which is a non-issue for the two of you as you already are running one. I have heard GREAT things about bio-pellets and wanna give them a try. As I have the InTank baskets I may attempt Carbon and filter-floss in those and a skimme/reactor with bio-pellets combo instead of this fuge...

Gsgenty, you were absolutely right(hate to say it,lol), I do regret not getting the 24, and I regret not having the new Fusion 30 even MORE. just wish there was space in my livingroom for either :(. I might have to pull the trigger anyway, I can shove it somewhere, sell some furniture, wtf ever it takes to get one in there. all I need is the tank and a stand, I have the rest,lol.

The midzise is a tight fit when the bracket is installed, but nothing needs to be forced or anything. :)

Hey, you ever consider building/having a black cover box built out of black acylic to cover the skimmer cups and reactors up from view? I was considering building one....make it look nicer....

Any particular reason you went with the reactors instead of chemi-pure elite? Just better efficiency due to the concentrated water flow? I'm contemplating a reactor in the future in my IM 30 cube.

Hey, you ever consider building/having a black cover box built out of black acylic to cover the skimmer cups and reactors up from view? I was considering building one....make it look nicer....

I've actually thought about this but decided against it for a number of reasons. First, while it would make things look cleaner, it would mean another surface that needed to be cleaned. Odd right? I also don't see a way for just a sheet of acrylic to fit unless there was a way to support it with clips or other legs. I don't know if I would like that look. Honestly though, the biggest reason I don't want to cover it up is because I kind of like seeing it all. I have a fondness for gadgets so I like seeing the skimmer bubbling over. I'm not afraid to admit that I've stared at my skimmer cup for a half hour, just watching the foam collect and push up and over into the cup. I like seeing the water spill through the reactor holes and when my ATO kicks in. When I show my tank to friends, they eventually get drawn to all the "stuff" going on behind the display and it ends up transforming into a husbandry conversation. I'm a total nerd for this stuff.

Maybe I'm in the minority but when I see a super sweet display tank I get just as excited to stoop down into the cabinet/go behind the tank/follow the pipes through the wall and see the setup. I rent for now (hence the smaller Nuvo 24 tank) but when I think about moving and getting a bigger setup, my mind first goes to how I would have my fish room rather than what I'll put into the display.

Go over to reefcentral and read ChingChai's 1000 gallon build thread and tell me you don't fall in love with, not only his gorgeous display, but also his extensively detailed setup. Here's the link: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1640915

I should warn you, the full build thread will probably take days to read. Totally worth it though.

Archived