SaltCritters.com

gsgentry's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 Build (Fried Light Pic)

gsgentry

Went down south today to help my brother with his 100 gallon tank. He has purchased on ton of corals since my last visit not that long ago. He has a favia that he was having issues with so he asked me to bring it home and see if I can't make it happy again. He also had some new zoas so I fragged a couple of polyps off his Vaders. Not even sure what they look like, but it was a free frag so why not.

Since we had to dip the corals, figured we would stop at the LFS on the way home and see if there was anything good. Found a little gem and then decided to take my daughter to 1 more LFS that she hasn't been to. Found a couple of things there.

Dragon Soul Favia? (It's actually green and purple but I suck at phtography)

IMG_3224_zps49ac2206.jpg

Mushroom (deep orange around the edges... again I can't take pictures lol)

IMG_3197_zps9902b3b2.jpg

Acans

IMG_3250_zpsad336e00.jpg

Acan Bowerbanki

IMG_3204_zpsbfe9e38b.jpg

FTS

IMG_3240_zps0eb18578.jpg

I will post the Zoas when they open up, hopefully tomorrow.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey there, love the new frags! On a side note, care to share your programming on your Storm controller?lol

Sure... Whatcha need help with?

Steensj2004

Well, I think I have it figured out. I just wasn't getting the sunrise/sunset effect I wanted. Just curious on your settings.

Have I mentioned that I hate photogrpahy? Actually I like it, just horrible at it... so if any of you are really good at it and can offer some help, I would be ever so grateful!! (Darwin??? LOL)

So here are some redos of my new corals. They came out better... also under my daylights.

Acan

IMG_3292_zps136897f9.jpg

Acan Bowerbanki

IMG_3331_zps263d3543.jpg

Mushroom

IMG_3335_zpsb81987ec.jpg

Dragon Soul Favia (a little blurry though, but you can now see the purple)

IMG_3316_zpsc7113d5e.jpg

Vader Zoas (thats what my brother called them... my first frag off a colony too)

IMG_3323_zps205a1969.jpg

On a side note... my Duncans have 2 new growths coming off them. You can see on facing you in the picture and the other is on the left side of the picture facing the back of the tank. Pretty excited about this!! Between that and all the zoa growth I have going, makes me feel like my tank is healthy and happy.

IMG_3299_zps15f0af5b.jpg

Happy Sun Polyps!!

IMG_3253_zpsc8ef29d0.jpg

So not much to update. Tank is running well and did my weekly water change and cleaning this weekend. Also ordered some more filter floss from StevieT.

However, I have been spending my time taking pictures and getting better with my camera. Here are a few of them. Let me know what you all think. Still not perfect, but I feel they are much better!! :)

IMG_3404_zps6780aa99.jpg

IMG_3447_zps497eda5b.jpg

IMG_3458_zps24047522.jpg

IMG_3445_zps5db25868.jpg

IMG_3472_zpse76c61db.jpg

OMG, ULTRA RASTAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT! looking good man!

What kinda camera yah using G?

Thanks!

Canon Rebel XS with stock lens. I will eventually get a macro lens, but waiting a bit for that.

Steensj2004

I needs to get me a new camera. Think I might grab a Eshopps Nano Skimmer, found a LFS that had 3 in stock for 95.00(20.0 less than anywhere I have seen). Gonna be adding some more livestock and think a skimmer is always a good idea!

I am getting better with the fish pics too. Dosed the tank with a little Ambien and they stayed still long enough. :D

IMG_3485_zps96781fba.jpg

IMG_3517_zpsbb0c30c7.jpg

What species of polyps/zoas are those, awesome colour? Like the Sun/tube coral too, i have one pita to feed but some of the best colour i got in my tank!

What species of polyps/zoas are those, awesome colour? Like the Sun/tube coral too, i have one pita to feed but some of the best colour i got in my tank!

Thanks... They eat ok for me as long as the crabs don't steal it. Lol

They were sold to me as Rastas but I'm pretty sure they are Ultra Rastas.

I think I am breaking down the tank and just going to buy a betta fish.

Seriously though... no real updates. Everything is just chugging along and doing well. Reef A Palooza is in a couple of weeks, so I am sure I will pick up some new corals there.

I just went through the past 3 pages of your thread all in one sitting. I love how the tank is shaping up and your photography skills sure have been growing!

I just went through the past 3 pages of your thread all in one sitting. I love how the tank is shaping up and your photography skills sure have been growing!

Thank you very much!!! It's been a lot of fun and I've learned a ton.

• 2 weeks later...
jack's_reef

Man I love you setup. (if only i had enough money to spend on it). I have a nuvo 24 as well and its been running for about 4 months now. Things are going fine but i am yet to find a good skimmer. How do you like the 9002? The only down side to the nuvo 24 is that the back chamber is SO SMALL, so practically nothing will fit in it.

Jacks's_reef

Steensj2004

Man I love you setup. (if only i had enough money to spend on it). I have a nuvo 24 as well and its been running for about 4 months now. Things are going fine but i am yet to find a good skimmer. How do you like the 9002? The only down side to the nuvo 24 is that the back chamber is SO SMALL, so practically nothing will fit in it.

Jacks's_reef

You might try the Eshopps Nano Skimmer. I tried it in my 16 but ended up taking it out because the space made it difficult to adjust. It was however pulling light green skimmate inside 24 hours, and was getting darker. They run Sicce pumps too, really quiet!

jack's_reef

Thanks steensj2004. I took a look at it and it looks great. But did you say it didn't fit? or did you just add something that took up more space?

Steensj2004
Thanks steensj2004. I took a look at it and it looks great. But did you say it didn't fit? or did you just add something that took up more space?

It will fit easily in a 24, my 16 chamber was Barely big enough, and I decided to go a different route. I do huge water changes anyway don't really need a skimmer. It would be great in a 24

So life has been pretty crazy busy lately but I have managed to settle it down a little.

Made a trip down to Reef A Palooza yesterday. All I can say is WOW!!! What a great event and tons of insane corals. Jason Fox, Cornbred, Frag Junky, VIP Reef, Reef Chicks and many many more were all present. Big companies too like Neptune Systems, Two Little Fishies, Red Sea and others were on display as well!! You could easily drop $3,000 in just an hour without trying. Great event that I hope comes back every year now.

I ended up picking up 2 beautiful rock flower anemone and a pink flower pot goniopora. I'll post pictures tonight. They are insanely sexy!!!

So as far as the tank, I will finally be transferring the clowns to the display from quarantine this coming weekend. It's been a long wait but I've learned a few things along the way to help. I'll immediately pick up another fish to go into QT and start that process again. Just need to quickly figure out what is next. :)

Pics to follow this evening!!!

Tried posting pics but I am having issues with Photobucket tonight for some reason. I will try again tomorrow.

Finally was able to get the pictures posted. Well worth the wait in my opinion. :)

Pink/Blue Rock Flower

IMG_3553_zpsadf04526.jpg

Red/Green/Blue Rock Flower

IMG_3563_zps114fa029.jpg

Pink Flower Pot Goniopora (Still hasn't opened yet)

IMG_3549_zps8baeb4e2.jpg

Frogspawn (We went out Sunday to buy this one.,, my daughter didn't get enough at the show. LOL)

IMG_3561_zps3c58efab.jpg

While at the show, I finally got to meet Dave Fason, the owner of Nano Box Reef and the builder of my light!! Such a great guy to work with and talk to. He has always been very responsive with questions and he is just a wonderful people person!! My daughter even said that meeting him was the favorite part of the show. LOL

Good times Dave!!! :)

Archived